In 4 months of travel this is the most expensive YHA I've stayed in and probably in top 5 most expensive hostels I've stayed in full stop. Why? Probably because Te Anau is really expensive so they know they can get away with it. For Te Anau it's cheap but service is shoddy.
On checking in I asked about wifi, got told yes they have it and how works, they processed payment for the room and then told me it wasn't working and I had to go out to a local cafe!
On day two wifi was theoretically working, I paid for it... but then I couldn't connect so they made me call the supplier to sort out myself - reception staff weren't bothered. even after I got it working it was poor and a waste of money as drops out constantly.
Ground floor men's bathroom appears clean but strong smell of urine.
Tours run by the YHA are expensive - for Doubtful Sound book directly with Real Journeys, it's c.$100 cheaper.
Not enough electrical sockets in the room, rooms are generally basic.
All of this probably sounds quite petty but given the amount they are charging they need to sort it out. Stay in manapouri if you have your own vehicle, it's a lot cheaper
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- On the edge of the Fiordland National Park, YHA Te Anau is the perfect location to access some of the world famous New Zealand tramps. This Qualmark 4+ star rated hostel will impress you with its homely atmosphere and cosy accommodation just a block from the shores of Lake Te Anau. Our lounge has a fireplace and offers plenty of couch space to sink into with a book or while watching one of our free movies. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotwire, Agoda, Orbitz, Travelocity and Cheap Tickets so you can book your YHA Te Anau reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Yha Te Anau Hotel Te Anau
- YHA Te Anau Fiordland National Park