“Cynically overpriced and poor value”
Review of YHA Te Anau

YHA Te Anau
Reviewed November 28, 2013 via mobile

In 4 months of travel this is the most expensive YHA I've stayed in and probably in top 5 most expensive hostels I've stayed in full stop. Why? Probably because Te Anau is really expensive so they know they can get away with it. For Te Anau it's cheap but service is shoddy.
On checking in I asked about wifi, got told yes they have it and how works, they processed payment for the room and then told me it wasn't working and I had to go out to a local cafe!
On day two wifi was theoretically working, I paid for it... but then I couldn't connect so they made me call the supplier to sort out myself - reception staff weren't bothered. even after I got it working it was poor and a waste of money as drops out constantly.
Ground floor men's bathroom appears clean but strong smell of urine.
Tours run by the YHA are expensive - for Doubtful Sound book directly with Real Journeys, it's c.$100 cheaper.
Not enough electrical sockets in the room, rooms are generally basic.
All of this probably sounds quite petty but given the amount they are charging they need to sort it out. Stay in manapouri if you have your own vehicle, it's a lot cheaper

Stayed: November 2013

Reviewed November 23, 2013

I stayed here one night before walking the Milford Track. If I remember right, it was a 8-bed dorm, small, but next to the boys' bathroom, so that was convenient. The dorm I stayed in was in the first floor and a short walk to the kitchen.

The staff were friendly and gave advice about places to go. I found the place a little crowded though, so one must be patient for service (like asking for a towel) but not bad if you like the crowds. After all this was a hostel. As in a YHA hostel, a non YHA member must pay $5 to use wifi, not a problem if you buy a network prepaid card. (I stayed one night in Queenstown to take buy a president card as there didn't appear to be a Telecom NZ shop in Te Anau.)

I walked 15 minutes from the hostel to the DOC office from where the bus takes walkers to Te Anau Down for the boat to the start of the Milford Track. This disadvantage compared to another hostel by the lakeside is offset by its closeness to town where I ate my dinner in a Chinese takeaway, order fried lunch for eating on my first day's walk, and hired trekking poles from an outdoor shop.

Overall, it was a pleasant stay and I would recommend the place for its location close to town.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed November 17, 2013

Te Anau YHA is next door to a pretty park and is very close to shops and lakefront. We were pleased to find ample, spacious car parking. The friendly, helpful, informative staff gave good travel advice and arranged our bookings. We appreciated our pleasant, warm rooms: a single and a twin, with heating. However my single bed was not comfortable as I was supplied with a double sheet and a double blanket that I had to fold lengthwise. My bedding fell all over the place during the night. I would have preferred single bed, properly fitting bedding. and a fresh pillow case and bottom sheet. The toilets and showers are good. The living area is large with plenty of comfortable sofas. The kitchen is one of the best laid out of all the hostels we stayed in during our three week tour of NZ. The cook tops are in a large, central island bench, enabling free access for many cooks at the one time. Likewise the friges are large and generous and piles of clean tea towels are replenished constantly. There are plenty of pots and pans and frying pans and there's an oven. There's a book swap, a comfy TV/DVD separate lounge room and a roomy, covered outdoor area. DVDs are made available for a $20 deposit for each DVD.
A drawback is the reception area's being closed from 8PM until 8AM. This means that evenings need to be planned ahead as DVDs, which are locked in the office, can't be acquired or exchanged after 8PM. Likewise the 2 computers are not coin in the slot but operate on a credit card system which can't be topped up when the office is shut. I welcomed the well organised, environmentally friendly, recycling system.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed September 9, 2013

Hostel was easy to find and close to everything. Great location if you plan to drive to Milford Sound and back. Staff was nice. Kitchen and living room area were both clean. We were in a room with 8-10 people but it was clean and comfy. It was a little cold if I remember correctly but not bad. Bathrooms were nice and clean. Definitely worth the price

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 7, 2013

We only stayed one night here and it was very good. The staff were helpful and the room was big with a good heater and very warm bedding so no one got cold. Loved the kitchen was big and had a lot of space for everyone to cook.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 17, 2013

You have to remember it is a youth hostel. I have not hosteled for 30 years and really enjoyed it. Perfectly clean double room. spotless facilities and a well equipped kitchen and a bargain price. It was a great start of my hosteling road trip. Take the Real journey nature trip to Milford. Ours was amazing. Bright crisp day, seals, a penguin and dolphins all appeared to make it a perfect day.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 16, 2013

Stayed 2 nights in the dorm room. Initially booked for the 3 bed dorm and when I check in the lower bunk was already taken. So I was given another room (4 bed dorm; comfortable bed with writing desk) which I shared with 1 other guest for the first night, and for myself for the 2nd night. The room was located in the separate smaller cottage; very safe since you need access card to enter and very quiet. Toilet and shower on the other hand is located in the next cottage; which can be inconvenient for some; but I found it perfectly fine (perhaps because it was summer, and because I never had to wait). Great kitchen with lots of food shelves and space in fridge. I love how this place is really eco friendly and caters to all for all types of travelers (elderly, family, female solo, etc); you'll never feel out of place here.

Room Tip: Ask for room in separate cottage (not the main building), it is less noisy and showers/toilets are m...