“Beautiful!”

Ranked #1 of 50 things to do in Te Anau
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

Friend and I went with the KiwiExperience Milford Explorer tour - our driver, Mangee, was awesome and stopped along the way for great photo opportunities. The fiords were amazing, we had a beautiful clear sunny day which made the experience even better. Definitely worth the trip down, and definitely recommend joining a tour so you get to enjoy the scenery along the drive

Reviewed July 24, 2014

The most beautiful journey, snow, sun, views, the road. It was fantastic. A lovely day on the sound as well.

Reviewed July 22, 2014

Magical place surrounded by majestic nature and mountains and teemed with amazing wildlife.
Milford Sound is a MUST go place when you're in NZ.

If you want to take your experience to the next level, don't just cruise it. KAYAK it!!!
I bet you, you'll have the most amazing time ever. I joined Rosco's kayak and it's the BESTEST experience in my entire NZ trip. It's a great company providing top quality service and has amazing guides. Within 5 mins hitting the water, we hit the JACKPOT and was welcomed by a pack of friendly dolphins. SURREAL!!! They were so gorgeous and showing off swimming around us, so close to our kayaks. I so wanted to jump in and swim with them Hahaha

Being so close to the nature and wildlife was just what I was looking for. I'm sure cruise will be great too, but nah, I was looking for sth more than that.

The other thing that's great about Milford Sound is that it is beautiful on both sunny and rainy weather. So either way, you will see magic. You can also do an overnight cruise. It is more popular than Doubtful Sound and unfortunately this also means it's more crowded and won't be as peaceful or pristine as Doubtful. This was the reason why I chose to do the overnight cruise at Doubtful instead of Milford.

Do visit both Sounds if you had the chance.

1  Thank Poikime
Reviewed July 22, 2014

A must do.
We will definitely be back to experience more of the outdoor scenic beauty of this remarkable area.

Reviewed July 19, 2014

There was little Fall color in Milford Sound, but the snow -topped mountains, white, veil like clouds and beautiful, crisp day was perfect for exploring the area.