“a place of harmony.”

Fiordland National Park (Te Wahipounamu)
Book In Advance
More Info
$671.20*
and up
Fiordland Adventure Day Trip
Ranked #1 of 53 things to do in Te Anau
Reviewed June 15, 2014

You could spend weeks exploring. Many attractions, hundreds of hiking tracks and hundreds of equipped mountain huts. Paradise for hideaway and nature exploring. Defintely topic for separate trip - fiordland only. Loving it and defintely will come back

All reviews
in 12 reviews
"sand flies"
in 10 reviews

Reviewed May 2, 2014

I arrived at this centre on my way to starting the Milford track. I had booked busses, ferry and huts but had no booking confirmation with me and this was required for my trip. The staff were so helpful, calling each service to check I was booked and let me know everything was ok. I overheard them doing something similar for another group of travelers. The staff were genuinely caring and helpful and this level of service was provided by all the staff I encountered on my trip in this area. I could leave my bags here and explore town while waiting for the bus and they gave me a map and directions - the whole area is beautiful.

Reviewed April 26, 2014

We passed the rugged mountain terrain past Te Anau on the shores of the largest lake in the South Island. This is a Journey through the Southern Alps and along the picturesque Eglinton Valley, a place of ancient alpine forest with thousands of gushing waterfalls and one of only a few road-accessible glacier valleys in New Zealand.
To start with we got the rain, mist and smog but then out came the sun then it was stunning, the mixture of sunny and rainy weather made it spectacular. Our tour bus stopped for brief walks at Mirror Lake, The Chasm a short walk over footbridges spanning a series of swirling waterfalls and at the Monkey Creek which was good place for pictures and we stopped to fill the water bottles at the fresh water stream which tasted really good.

2  Thank Smeets P
Reviewed April 21, 2014

The absolute best way of seeing Fiordland National Park is by Cruise Ship through the Sounds. Huge advantage is being able to move around the ship from different positions and have an elevated view of everything. Millford Sound is just one of the very best.

2  Thank Woolies
See more reviews
Reviewed April 19, 2014

I'm posting a dual review in Milford Sound and Fjordland as really they are all tied in together. I can't imagine going to Fjordland for the first time and not going on to Milford, although plan for a full day, and drive in no further than Te Anau, which is where we stayed. We were hoping for a mix of sunny and rainy weather to make it dramatic and yet clear conditions to see the views. We got all rain, mist and haze, which once we resigned ourselves to it, was breathtaking. Thousands of waterfalls ripping down the mountains, and the weather conditions made the entire experience just phenomenal. So don't despair! For some of the shorter hikes, you have a canopy of trees above you, so you will be fine with a sturdy raincoat.

We enjoyed the 77km mark - Cascade Creek walk - a beautiful area filled with lichens, moss, that takes no more than 45 minutes. Lots of cute birds, and runs alongside a beach.

My hands down favorite moment leading up to Milford was stopping at Marian Falls off Lower Hollyford Road. Parking is just there after the turn, and you cross a very cool suspension bridge. Take a 15 minute upwards hike and you get to these gorgeous lush falls. Highly recommend!! And PS - the tour buses don't go there! ;)

The only decent toilets are at Knobs Flat, so be sure to stop here. There are also some at the information center in Milford. The rest of the stops either don't have toilets or have some version of Port-a-lets.

I'm also doing a review on Mitre Peak cruises, so feel free to check that out for the next step.

3  Thank Jamie K