“Lovely scenery, terrible weather....”

Westray Adventures - Horse Treks & Quad Tours
Ranked #6 of 33 Tours in Te Anau
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: A great trip just 5 minutes from Te Anau. Experience 360 degree views of New Zealand's spectacular Fiordland landscape from Horse back or Quad Bike. Beautiful horses or Honda ATVs are available for all levels of rider experience and your guide is a wealth of information on the local area.
Mackay, Australia
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Lovely scenery, terrible weather....”
Reviewed August 8, 2013

We were unlucky in the weather for this ride, as it was quite wet and windy and being in winter, quite cold. However, I wasn’t too upset about that, and had prepared accordingly.

When we arrived it became quite obvious to me that this place was very laid back and easy going, but safety was still important to them. We were kitted out properly which was expected, but certainly a relief.

The horses all had distict personalites, and everyone agreed that I got the ‘lively’ one. I had to laugh at this, as there were two other people on our ride who were experienced riders, and yet me, a not so experienced rider, got the one that wanted to trot all the time. Didn’t bother me, I just had to find my courage to control him. (Had been a while since I rode).

The only problem I had with the ride was the instructor / guide. I know he wasn’t trying to be, but he came across as very patronising, continually saying to me, see it isn’t so hard now? As if I was terrified from the beginning and needed soothing! Was quite annoying, but I can’t really hold that against the activity, as the rest was really good, and he truly was trying to be nice, just rubbed me the wrong way unfortunately.

If you are after a cheap horse trail ride, then I definitely would recommend this to you, as the scenery was lovely, and it was a very easy ride, perfect for someone just starting out.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Catherine_8_1989

Singapore, Singapore
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“The best way to experience Te Anau”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

My recent trip to Westray was simply amazing.

I took a solo ride, and Andy was kind enough to arrange something for me at the last minute (barely 2 days advance notice), and even came to pick me up from my doorstep. He introduced me to his horses and his place, provided helmets and even lent me a coat as the one I had on was a long one that would be a little inconvenient to wear while riding.
He then introduced me to my horse, Toby, who was quiet as a lamb throughout the entire ride. We rode through fields of sheep and little lambs running around, climbed up hills on horseback, which was something I have never done in my many years of horseriding around the world, up to the top of a hill where we had a breathtaking 360 degree view with a little snack provided by Andy.
During the ride, Andy told me about his way of working with his horses (a beautiful story that I'm sure everyone will appreciate), as well as things to do in Te Anau and little tidbits of information about New Zealand. Andy has an amazing passion for his horse and his work, and it is clear from the way his interacts with his horses and the way his horses respond to him. I have never felt safer in a riding establishment. His horses are all very stable, quiet and gentle - perfect for beginners and experienced riders alike.
After the ride, Andy even let me help him settle the horses - untacking and feeding them, whilst telling me more about the horses he cares for.

I highly recommend this establishment for anyone who wants to experience the beauty of Te Anau in a whole new way. Price is very worth it for what you get. Truly an unforgettable experience, thank you Andy!

Visited August 2013
Perth
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Highly recommended”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

My brother and I decided to go horseriding to experience the beautiful scenery of Te Anau and this place provided a lovely experience. Andy took us on a relaxing walk around his extensive property which gave amazing views of the surrounds. The horses were calm and well cared for as well as very apt for the little riding experience we had. It was terrific value for money and I would happily enjoy the experience again.

Visited July 2013
Boyanup, Western Australia, Australia
“Very enjoyable”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Our visit to Te Anau would have not been complete without a visit to Westray Horse Treks. Andy is very friendly and happy to accommodate to you. He has a passion for the area, cares for his horses & ensures you have an enjoyable trek. Definitely value for money and the scenery is beautiful.

Visited May 2013
Palm Beach, Florida
“Awesome”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

This trip was amazing! Andy is very knowledgeable about the area and the history. The horses are beautifully taken care of. The actual trek was incredible. 360 degree views for almost the entirety of the trip. I would recommend this trip to anyone visiting the area and would do it again in a minute!!!

Visited April 2013