“Friendly staff but food was pretty rough for the price”

The Moose Bar & Restaurant
Ranked #15 of 35 Restaurants in Te Anau
Cuisines: New Zealand
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: A family friendly restaurant and bar located on the shore of Beautiful Lake Te Anau. We have it all, from an exciting kids menu to a whole range of styles of our signature dish - The good ol' steak! Whether you chose to sit in our fantastic beer garden and enjoy the sunshine while watching the sailing boats on the lake, or to join in the atmosphere while cheering for your team on the big screen, or to have a flutter on one of our 2 TAB machines, or dance the night away to one of our many live music acts - there's something for everyone, here at the Moose.... It's everybody's local!
Reviewed December 22, 2011

Went here with my wife a few days ago and as I was considering going vegetarian (long story) and I didn't want the vege pie, as a last hurrah I decided I'd have the rib eye steak as you can't really go wrong with a prime cut like that.

I was wrong and to be honest I've now made the change and probably won't be eating meat again. The quality of the meat I got was really poor - it was mostly fat and not the famed marbled type of fat. I know my meat having sourced it for a global five star hotel chain a few years ago. What I got was a rib eye but really poor quality and badly cooked (I don't think the grill was hot enough). Anyway I left most of it on the plate and when the waitress asked if I wasn't hungry I told her I didn't really like the quality of the meat. She said she'd tell the chef and as the place was almost empty I thought I'd get at least a comment back from the kitchen. After ten minutes nothing so that probably tells you enough about the place...

Won't ever be back for food and wouldn't EVER recommend anyone try the steak...

Saying that the bar staff took my order, were friendly and welcoming and that's the reason it didn't get 1 out of 5

1  Thank T C
There are newer reviews for The Moose Bar & Restaurant

Reviewed December 6, 2011

Great location with indifferent staff, okay beers and okay food, would not go back in a town with many more options

Reviewed November 20, 2011

One of the few places still serving food after 9pm. Good beer, tasty and plentiful food, pleasant service.

Reviewed October 31, 2011

Good place to watch Ireland beat Australia, average food and incredibly friendly waitstaff and atmosphere

Reviewed May 2, 2011

We ended up eating here all 3 nights we were in Te Anau. It has a great atmosphere, great staff & good food. Considering how busy it always seemed, our food never took too long to arrive & tasted delicious. Highly recommended.