“A Disappointment”

Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed October 8, 2013

We have nearly always found restaurants & food in NZ to be of top quality. However we were disappointed after our dinner at the above. Being a Diabetic I usually try to find a dish on the Menu that will suit my dietary needs, so I chose Steak with vegetables and a mash of white potato. White potato is a non-no, so I requested if I could have a mash of Kumara/Sweet Potato, it was on the menu in other dishes so I thought no problem. "Uh uh", chef cannot do this says the waitress after checking, so I decided to go ahead & eat less mash. Then the problems started, because the vegetable consisted of 8 baked pieces of parsnip, which I hate, yeah I know, personal preference and 4 pieces of carrot totally overpowered by the parsnip flavour it was cooked with. This would have to be the worst meal I have been served in NZ, bar none. The steak was only just OK, I ordered Medium Rare & it was closer to Medium, but acceptable. The waitress was apologetic, but at the end of the day the cooking was pathetic.

Dee R, Manager at Bailiez Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2016

Hi peterandheike,

Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant. Your input, and the feedback of all our customers is vitally important to us. I am deeply disappointed that we were unable to accomodate your request. I have addressed this issue with our chef, to improve on our customers dietary requirements. We hope to be able to welcome you back again in the not too distant future.

Dee Riddoch

Reviewed August 22, 2013

Despite options we really enjoyed the meals we had at Bailiez. The food is good and the staff are very hospitable. Somehow you don't get the feeling that they are just doing a job - the warmth is authentic and the service is prompt. A special mention of Elizabeth and Sonja for being so hospitable.

Dee R, Manager at Bailiez Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2016

Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant, we sincerely value your feedback.

Reviewed May 21, 2013

Great breakfast menu - great value & delicious food. Sonia was absolutely wonderful & we returned just to see her & enjoy her wonderful coffee!

Thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant, we sincerely value your recommendation.

Reviewed May 17, 2013

Had lunch at Bailies Café today, service very good, seafood chowder excellent.
Toilet area not great, skirtings had not been cleaned for some time, just did not look hygienic.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Tried this restaurant for both dinner and breakfast and was not disappointed. Baby back ribs were good. Friends enjoyed the green lipped mussels.