“Scary in parts stunning all the time!”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Go Orange Kayaks

Go Orange Kayaks
More attraction details
Owner description: Go Orange is an accredited Adventure Activity Operator who loves to share their amazing ‘backyard’ with visitors from all around the world. With 3 different sea kayak products in Milford Sound and day and multi day kayak + camping adventures in Doubtful Sound we have something to suit just about everyone! With maximum group sizes of 8 + a guide this is truly a spectacular way to experience iconic Milford Sound, the 8th wonder of the world or remote and beautiful Doubtful Sound - a true wilderness area. Possible wildlife sightings include seals, penguins or dolphins. Coach connections available from Te Anau.
England
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Scary in parts stunning all the time!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

This was the part of the trip to NZ that I was most apprehensive about on two counts a) wild camping and b) kayaking in such a large body of warter. I am so glad I did this trip despite a few wobbly (literally in rough water and my fear factor) hours on the first morning as we crossed what were to me quite strong currents. Luke, our guide was great and I forgave him for telling me I had a "scardey face on"! The scenery was breathtaking and so remote , I feel honoured to have visited such a spectacular location.

The journey to get there was part of the whole experience with the boat trip across the lake and coach trip to the Sound. On arrival at the water's edge we were well briefed on the kayaks (two person ones, often referred to as "divorce boats" - I wonder why....) and provided with full kit.

We stopped for lunch after two hours and then enjoyed a very peaceful two hours kayaking down one of the side arms of the Sound, eventually ending up at our camp for the night. The camp was well set up and I actually enjoyed the experience. We were lucky to be with a really great group of people from different parts of the world. Our Australian friends on the trip had it sussed when it came to food and the rest of us had "pasta envy" as we ate our backpackers dried food - yuk. We were on the water very early next morning and spent another four hours kayaking. Sadly the dolphins did not come to see us but I would highly recommend this experience but you do need to be a bit tougher minded than me in terms of sea conditions in order to fully relax.

Visited December 2012
2 Thank scout6010

Wanaka, New Zealand
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“2 days of spectacular beauty and wildlife”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012

I paddled Doubtful sound with Fiordland Wilderness Adventures on their two day trip. A kayak is a pretty special way to see such a beautiful place. From the top of the Wilmont pass the view down into the fiord we were about to kayak was stunning, later on, there we were on the water taking in the view from the water. Doubtful sound is far quieter than Milford sound due to it's remote location so there was very little 'human' noise to detract from the exprience. On top of Doubful's scenic beauty we were lucky enough to see Fiordland Crested Penguins and a dolphin and her calf! Kayaking along with just the splash of paddles hitting the water and two dolphins coming up to take a breath isnt a sound or sight Im likely to forget. Our guide was informative and a cheerful, the tents provided were good quality and the sanfly shelter at our camp was a godsend! This trip is ideal for people who like the outdoors and dont mind pitching tents, using thermarests and long drop toilets. If you are a 5 star feather bed type you might not cope with the accomodations or making your own bed and dinner but you are going to miss out on something quite special!

Visited November 2012
Trondheim
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“The best way to experience Milford Sound!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

Experiencing the Milford Sound from a small kayak makes you feel real small, but it's a very rewarding experience and is simply the way to see Milford Sound if you're not afraid of the water! Our guide, Luke, could not have been better, he shared a wealth of knowledge throughout the tour, gave a good safety briefing before we started and showed us lots of interesting places along the way. Good value for money even though you don't really kayak over very long distances. If we ever come back to Fiordland we would definitely go for one of their longer tours!

Visited November 2012
Oamaru, New Zealand
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“7 day wilderness cruise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2012

We had 7 fantastic days on the Milford Wanderer, cruising in and around all the Sounds,from Doubtful, south to Preservatation Inlet. Fiordland turned on the rain for 6 days, but this just made the views more moody. Real Journeys provide a very knowlegable and helpful, nature and history guide. The exact itinery is not given as every sailing, anchorage, and on shore activity is weather dependent. We ate far too much food, with every meal being 2 courses, prepared and cooked by the chef. The 6 crew members catered for our every need with attention to detail and friendliness--even getting me a hot water bottle when I was out on deck with sea-sickness. You need to go with good wet weather gear & gumboots. Insect repellent would be a must if its not raining and some sea sick medication (about 80% of our group of 31 on board were sick on the first day at sea). We were taken ashore 5 of the days, by tender, for walks with an informative history lesson from the guide. Due to the weather there was only one opportunity for kayaking. Evening entertainment was usually a slide show by the crew, of the local area, with an update for Plan A and Plan B, for the next day! Chopper ride out was a great adrenalin rush!! Cabin had very narrow twin beds & we shared bathroom with 2 other couples.

Visited May 2012
Green Point
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“One day kayaking Milford”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2012

Had a magnificent day out on Milford. Great & laid back guides Mike & Matt were excellent & made it it a real highlight of my trip. Very informative, the scenery is awesome as eh bro! Sensational day, these guys have the perfect formate & style. Well done guys!

Visited April 2012