“A true highlight from our New Zealand adventure”
Review of Knobs Flat

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Te Anau
Knobs Flat
Reviewed April 12, 2011

We were truly blown away on arrival at Knobs Flat, from booking the accomodation prior to leaving Australia we were looking forward to seeing Knobs Flat in person. It was a fantastic location, being so close to Milford Sound.

PC, the host provided awesome serivce and knowledge of the area. The rooms were a great set up, it was nice to just sit back and relax and enjoy the amazing scenary without any TV's, and mobile phones.

We would make the trip back to New Zealand just to have the opportunity to stay at Knobs Flat again.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple

Reviewed April 7, 2011

We were quite excited to discover Knobs Flat – a motel conveniently located in the middle of the Te Anau-Milford highway. It's location meant that we could access all the walks we wanted to do without wasting time driving to and from Te Anau. We stayed there for 5 nights.

Our unit at Knobs Flat was clean, tidy, well-equipped with a lovely outlook - perfect for those who enjoy a hot shower after a day's hiking. Those requiring a designer apartment might be disappointed, but the more open minded will appreciate the thought has gone into the layout, furnishing and fittings to make a comfortable retreat in an isolated setting. We stayed in one of the larger units which was very spacious for the two of us. We had one down day due to the weather and it was very pleasant to just chill out and admire the view from the warmth and comfort of our armchairs.

While there is no cellphone coverage or broadband internet, PC does have a dial-up connection in his office and he was always happy to pull up weather forecasts or topo maps, and to chat about walking options to match the forecast. Access to local knowledge and forecasts was key in enabling us to make the most of our stay. PC was brimming with ideas for local walks and it was reassuring to get his input on how to find them, where to park, and the likely conditions.

Knobs Flat has a very informative website, so check it out - especially the section on "Common Questions" which will explain several important points about its isolated location.

With so many hikes still left to do, Knobs Flat is a place we look forward to returning to.

Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 28, 2011

Which is pretty good going really, because we weren't even paying customers!

Our car broke down on the road to Milford and we were so fortunate to end up at Knobs Flat in PC's outstanding care. His openness to our needs and to who we were as people was without equal - I wish every international traveller could spend time with PC as he an outstanding example of what Kiwi hospitality can be.

Thanks a million for helping us out so thoughtfully and so thoroughly, PC - we will remember it always

Nigel and Orasa

Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 2, 2011

I have to add my voice to the raves here.

This place is excellent not because it's fancy but because the location is spectacular and the accommodation provides what you need to enjoy it without camping There are very few places to stay in Fjordland National Park and I can highly recommend Knobs Flat. The accommodation was very reasonable and as everyone has pointed out PC is very helpful.

We booked the larger unit (the rooms are built in a block with a long verandah on one side ) which was well positioned with a lovely view down the Eglington Valley. The park has much more to offer than just Milford Sound and the hiking was wonderful. The advantage of staying in the park is that you can schedule things to avoid those who travel in by the coach load.

If you like walking, nature and the opportunity to cook for yourself while on holiday you'll love Knobs Flat.

Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank anthropology
Reviewed January 17, 2011

What a gem, we stayed at Knob's Flat on our way to Milford Sound, on our arrival we were greeted by our host PC who is rightfully very enthusiastic about this lovely area and encouraged us to take in some of the short walks close by. Our accommodation was wonderful, a lot of thought has gone into setting up the kitchen and living area for a very comfortable stay. A beautiful area in which to relax, we were sorry we didn't have time to stay longer.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 14, 2011

I thought about not writing a review for Knobs Flat as I would prefer it to remain as wonderfully unknown as it is.

I found the Hotel/Motel/Backpackers (What are you PC) by accident on the web. I would be travelling as many do to Milford Sound and rather than stay at Te Anau, decided to book at Knobs Flat. I was concerned with the no gas, no shops, no telephone etc. that was on the website but went ahead. So glad I did.

In pulling into Knobs Flat, the accommodation doesn't look much, being basic block construction and not a paved roadway in sight. In the units they were spotlessly clean, the bed was the most comfortable I slept on in 3 weeks in NZ, and generally had everything we needed. When you then look out of the large windows at the surrounding mountains you will be stunned.

PC is hospitible in the extreme. My wife and I are not the aggresive hiker type, but PC escorted us through the woods on a walk to the un-named waterfall, helping my wife over the stream on a log and discussing anything and everything about the local area.

This is not a 5 star hotel, so if that's what you're looking for do not stay here. PC said that when he once showed a couple to their accommodation the wife commented, "It isn't exactly a Hilton, is it." I travel extensively and can confirm that I prefered Knobs Flat to almost every Hilton I have stayed at. It is shamelessly utilitarian but both unique and beautiful. The location makes access to Milford Sound easy, but take time to enjoy Knobs Flat. It is one of the most beautiful, unspoilt, and un-touristy places in NZ and long may it remain so.

I commented to PC that I was concerned about staying there and had explained to my daughters (who are 19 and 22 and can't exist without cell phones internet, IM, etc for longer than 5 minutes) that at Knobs Flat there is NOTHING. PC said that he liked to think of it as that they have EVERYTHING.

PC was right.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank JohnL10
Reviewed January 10, 2011

My husband and I stayed 4 nights at this gorgeous location. I couldnt believe how nice the rooms were for the price ($NZ120). The unit was only 1 of 6 and had been recently painted. It was very clean, had hotplates, fridge and a bbqand was sitauated in the most amazing location. We watched the sunset over snow capped mountains from our bedroom. Great hiking and local sites info provided by the owner PC. A wonderful place, we cant wait to return!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple