“One of the best backpackers on South Island”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Te Anau
Bob and Maxine's Backpackers
Lakeport, California
“One of the best backpackers on South Island”
Reviewed April 7, 2014

We have stayed at Bob and Maxine's on two occasions. The second time we bought our visiting family with us. The accommodation is spotlessly clean, comfortable and convenient. The kitchen is the best equipped I have found ( we are here on South Island for 6 months so we have been to a lot of backpackers) So if you are a cook you'll love it!

The eating area is spacious and has terrific views. I highly recommend this backpackers - Bob and Maxine are helpful and kind - you'll love it!

Room Tip: Couples can stay in the main house with shared bathroom. The dorms have their own entrances and look...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed April 5, 2014

Friendly, clean, comfortable and well equipped. I am quite happy to say the best hostel I have stayed in during all my travels. Bob and Maxine are great, I had a bottom bunk saved for me on my return from the Milford Track which was very thoughtful. I hurt my ankle and extending my stay was no prob. Free internets, washing machine and access to bicycles to pop back into town.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed March 27, 2014

Lovely hosts, lovely hostel, lovely view - need I say more?! As 200 characters are minimum I obviously do.... Bob & Maxine offer great service and a homey atmosphere all located in a stunning scenery.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Kerstin D
Somerville, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 5, 2014

One of the best hostels I've stayed in. Bob and Maxine are excellent hosts and really go out of their way to make everyone feel welcome. The lounge area is a really nice open space to hang out (particularly important if you've been out in the wilderness like me and want somewhere to just chill out for a day). Lots of little extras like wifi and laundry that can end up being expensive elsewhere are included in the price. It's not super close to the town center (about half an hour on foot), but there are free bikes at the hostel so even if you're carless, the location isn't really a drawback. The rooms aren't huge but the lovely common areas and large sunny lawn mean you probably wont want to spend too much time in them anyway.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
San Jose, California
Reviewed February 24, 2014

pros:
biggest largest brightest bathrooms
largest most comfortable shared living area
nice furniture and great fellow backpackers
free wifi
friendly hosts

cons:
cramped room with uncomfortable mattresses and treacherous bunkbed ladders
overly crowded refrigerator (appears to lack any "we'll clean this out regularly" standard)

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
bobteanau, Owner at Bob and Maxine's Backpackers, responded to this review, February 27, 2014
Thanks very much for the great comments! We try pretty hard to please here.

There are 2 year old high quality inner sprung mattresses on all the bottom beds & thick foam rubber ones on the top beds. We can't handle the heavy inner sprung jobs on the top beds. We have had absolutely no adverse comments about the mattresses; invariably people say they get a wonderful nights rest.

You need to be reasonably agile to use the ladders to the top bunks. Last season I added more handles. Older people (senior backpackers) or larger framed backpackers are always assigned a lower bed on request. Any special requests are dealt with on a best endeavours basis.

And the fridges: We are always on the look out here. You must have struck them on an especially busy time. People tend to leave a huge amount of stuff behind & it can be a challenge to identify & use this via the free box. Rest assured we do our best here. We'll try harder.

Cheers, Bob
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed February 23, 2014

Bob and Maxine's Backpackers is a really nice place to stay.
Bob and Maxine is very friendly, free bikes, wifi and even the put some fruits for free in the kitchen. big clean house and cooking area.

cheers
Maik & Jessie

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Berea, Kentucky
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Bob and Maxine run a great little hostel. When I arrived, they were there with an enthusiastic welcome and even a chocolate. Bob introduced me right away to a couple who were getting ready to go out for a half-day walk, since I had mentioned wanting to go for a hike. The rooms and bathrooms are sparkling clean and the living and kitchen areas feel like you're in someone's home. The property sits on a couple of scenic acres (nice sunset views from here) and is about a 30 minute walk from the busy little town. You can take one of the free bikes, shortening the travel time into town to 5-7 mins. Other extras include free wi-fi, plenty of plugs, bins for under-bed storage, and free laundry with ample room to line-dry your clothes. The only negative for me was the lack of an actual internet computer, but this didn't appear to be an issue to most of the other guests who were technologically up-to-date. When I left, Bob gave me and two others a lift into town for just a couple of dollars. Maxine was there with a good-bye hug for each of us. Great stay. I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo