“Absolutely lovely!”

The Fat Duck
Ranked #6 of 37 Restaurants in Te Anau
Cuisines: European
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups
Description: Cosy, inviting atmosphere serving great local cuisine, coffee and drinks.
Reviewed September 15, 2013 via mobile

We went here one very cold evening and enjoyed a meal off the light menu, our group of 4 ordered something different each and each meal was huge and amazing. We even went back the following evening! Just fantastic.

Reviewed September 14, 2013

Took my sister there for her 50th. The food was very good and the service was okay. The chocolate volcano dessert was yum!

Reviewed September 14, 2013

This was my 4th trip to this restaurant and I should have known better. however two weeks ago I had a warm welcome and the food on both nights was excellent so although I had had one bad experience I was prepared to forgive and forget. I arrived at the stated time and was shown promptly to my table beside the fire which was at this stage unlit. When I arrived a peviously warm day had been followed by a front and it was a chilly 8degrees and spitting rain. They were "out" of my chosen wine and incidentally also my chosen liqueur at the end of the meal. the young waitress was apologetic. my meal when it arrived was overcooked and dry with insufficient sauce. I had had the same selection two weeks earlier and it had been perfect. I was slowly chewing my way through and noticed increasing discomfort from cold. I was wearing 2 thick layers of Icebreaker merino and should not have been cold indoors. After my disappointing meal I moved to the lounge area where ther is normally a fire lit. No fire! I asked the manager who informed me it was broken and the only heating was an obviously inadequate heat pump. I left after a most unstatisfactory experience. I will not go back.
What could they have done? They should have told me when I booked that their main heating was broken. They should have informed me when I was seated that I would be cold. When I complained they should have offered some tangible gesture but they didn't. Once again our gateway to Fiordland is letting us down. Shame on you Fat Duck.

2  Thank Daphnekiwi
Reviewed September 13, 2013

Quiet, cosy, quaint little restaurant/cafe. Large variety of beverage options and food options.
My husband has the pork sausages and mash - succulent and juicy. I had the chicken burger with cranberry and Camembert cheese. It comes as two halves but was yummy.
Friendly, quick and helpful service. Enjoyable experience.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

This is great cafe to stop and refresh on the way to Milford Sound. We had coffees and a light breakfast. It is a very clean cafe and we were made to feel very welcome. There is a lovely fireplace to warm yourself.