“Average Italian eating experience”
Review of Cafe La Dolce Vita

Cafe La Dolce Vita
Ranked #7 of 35 Restaurants in Te Anau
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
“Average Italian eating experience”
Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

This appears to be a popular choice with some tourists - I expect this is because it appears from the exterior to be a little more 'upper class' than other eateries in the strip. The food was average for the price. Bruschetta to start - massive portion. I had clam spaghetti to follow - the clams were quite gritty. My friend had the barbecue ribs ans chips - filled a hole! The owner seems to take charge of most tasks, working harder than any other staff which probably accounts for previous references to service. We were not in a hurry so didn't mind the wait.

Zurich
“Look elsewhere”
Reviewed December 29, 2012

My worst restaurant experience in NZ. I got the wrong food (different meal than I ordered), I got the wrong bill (72$ instead of 32$) and then I even was short changed (only by a dollar). When I talked to the manager he said 'come on, where's the problem' and walked away. As I waited and told him, that this is not acceptable he said 'oh [--], go away'.

Visited December 2012
Ontario, Canada
“Good food. Poor Service.”
Reviewed December 17, 2012

Ate dinner here while staying in Te Anau. Although the food was quite good (the lasagna was one of the best I have ever had and my husband enjoyed his pasta with clams), the evening was ruined for us by the behaviour of the owner who was quite rude. Overall the service was poor (long time to get beverages, longer to order, etc) but he actually commented to my husband about another table and used the "F" word a number of times. It's one thing to think things about customers but to complain to another customer on more than one occasion and swear? Unacceptable. I would not eat at this restaurant again due to this experience. It made us feel very uncomfortable.

• Visited November 2012
“Rude”
Reviewed December 7, 2012

The food was good.

I gave the waiter a pen from my home country , and he asked me if I had stolen it !

I buy pens to give out and people are usually happy

winton
“Best restaurant in Te Anau!”
Reviewed December 7, 2012 via mobile

This is a genuine taste of Italy in Fiordland, NZ. It is owned and run by the Lombardi family, Roberto, who is eccentric Italian to his core and his lovely kiwi wife Christina. Eating here is an entertaining experience as well as delicious! The menu is small but excellent, with something for everyone. It's not a pizza joint, there are some pasta meals, but more beautifully cooked and presented Italian meals. It is not cheap, but well worth every penny. Usually we seem to be served by Roberto who is a genuinely funny guy and enjoys having a laugh with his clients. I can well imagine some people being a little affronted if they are a bit sensitive, but most diners we have seen are only too happy to have a bit of a laugh with him. This is the restaurant we take our friends to, when they stay with us in Te Anau. We always have a fantastic meal, excellent service and a fun evening.

1 Thank patrice g