Paid $NZ1200 for 6 nights in the downstairs apartment at the Bay Motel in Stewart Island.
The price offered good value for a town that has an image of high prices. The apartment, albeit without views, was spacious, with two decent bedrooms, a large fully functioning kitchen, an excellent bathroom with a great shower, a decent washing machine (but no clothes dryer), effective user controlled heating throughout the apartment, double glazing (a legal requirement), wheel-chair accessible, and a spacious lounge/dining area with good seating.
Very clean and presented well - got the feeling that we were the only people who had ever stayed there, even though it is 5 years old.
- moteliers forgot to pick us up at the plane depot on our initial arrival. For some reason they assumed we on the the ferry that arrived 60 min later.
- moteliers put us in the non-view, downstairs apartment even though the upstairs apartment was empty for the first 3 days, and when it was filled, the customers only stayed for 3 days. I'd specifically asked to be upstairs, so not sure why they insisted on putting us downstairs. (in fairness however, the downstairs got the outdoors evening sun, which the upstairs apartment did not). When raised with owners on arrival they said they'd look into us being upstairs - they never followed that up.
- the downstairs apartment was a bit noisy from people walking about in the upstairs apartment.
- the washing machine lint filters appeared to have not been emptied in years - was an icky task for me to do!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Bay Motel is located in the center of Halfmoon Bay, Stewart Island & has glorious ocean views from more than half of our units. We are no more than 500 meters walk to all of the restaurants, shops & transport (Plane & Ferry) terminals in the township. Bay Motel complex is made up of 13 modern, quality serviced units - 10 studios, 1 & 2 bedroom units and a 3 bedroom, 2 bathroom luxury apartment. We also have a laundry, courtyard & covered BBQ available for guests use. ~Courtesy transfers on arrival and departure ~2 units & the Apartment have double spa baths ~2 units are wheelchair friendly ~Fully equipped kitchenettes ~Central heating ~Sky TV, telephone and free wireless internet ~Guest laundry, freezer storage, BBQ ~Portable cot, high-chair & buggy ~Continental breakfast available ($12 per person) ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and Priceline so you can book your Bay Motel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bay Motel Stewart Island, South Island
- Bay Hotel Stewart Island