“Turner Cottage - We loved it so much, we're going back in 6 months time”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Stewart Island
Port of Call Boutique Accommodation
Reviewed January 23, 2011

We stayed at 'Turner Cottage' just up Golden Bay Rd, only 5 mins walk (uphill!) from the 'city' centre. The cottage has everything you could need. The linen, appliances, decor everything was well chosen and of excellent quality. The fitout was contemporary yet in keeping with the area. We spent 4 nights over New Year at the cottage. The birdlife was amazing - we had 5 Kaka's come visit us, as well as Tui's, Bellbirds ... Philippa and Ian are great people - talented, friendly and have the gift of making the most of what they have and of creating beautiful environments for their guests. We're going back in June. We had mostly good weather whilst we were there. We did the Maori Beach walk and the Fern Gully walk. We spent a day on Ulva Island where we came across Weka's, Saddlebacks, Kaka's etc.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MissBossyBoots

Reviewed March 22, 2010

Having stayed in some stunning B&B's / cottages on North and South Island, this cottage suffered by comparison. With the woodburner roaring the cottage is cosy enough, and it has decent kitchen / washing facilities, but the furnishings and finish are a bit too rustic. Some may say that this is part and parcel of Stewart Island and it's unspoilt charm, or falsely high expectations based on mainland experience - whichever, we were disappointed.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SuttonHill
Reviewed December 14, 2009

We spent three nights at The Bach; our goal was to rest and relax, and this is the perfect place, quiet and peaceful. Tha Bach is really nice, but we couldn't hardly find pictures of it before booking. A pity. If our hosts had more good pictures of the Bach, I am pretty sure that they would have more guests... I attach some pics we took to share with Tripadvisor visitors. Use of a car included. To sum up, we are really DELIGHTED... We'll definetely come back!!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Pedro S
Reviewed October 27, 2009

We stayed in Turner Cottage for three nigghts. Pip and Ian are great, and the place is amazing. Very comfortable with cool retro bach interior, warm fireplace and awesome leather furniture. Ipod dock and flat panel were both unexpected but gratefully appreciated. Totally private setting, centrally located to everything. We were quite gutted to leave!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 23, 2009

My husband, daughter and I travelled to Stewart Island from Queenstown where she is currently working. The drive through the Catlins was so beautiful and after a short ferry ride across Fovreaux Sound we arrived at what I have decided is God's chosen place. Pip met us at the pier in her SUV and transported our luggage up to Turner Cottage which is a short hike up from the center of the tiny town. The path up to the cottage is through lush, natural, tropical vegetation. The bright marine blue cottage is wonderfully outfitted for three. Comfortable beds, great little kitchen and some of the best decor I have run across in New Zealand. In the renovation of the cottage they used antique materials from some of the buildings on the island. Completely hidden in the bush, the front deck provided the perfect place for bird-watching and at night the stars were incredible. Two nights were not enough. Ian is a 6th generation Stewart Islander and I hope to go back and listen to some of his tales. Thanks for one of life's great memories.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed March 15, 2009

One of the high points of our recent New Zealand trip was our stay at Ports of Call. Our hosts, Ian and Philippa Wilson, were incredibly helpful, accomodating, and friendly. They even provided us with a car which was helpful as their B&B is a twenty minute walk from town. We stayed in the Bach, a comfortable apartment with a great bed and well-appointed kitchen. We awakened each morning to birdcalls and beautiful views of Halfmoon Bay. Philippa served us a delicious breakfast each morning. She and Ian booked tours for us, advised us regarding local attractions, and provided us with a wealth of information concerning Stewart Island history, ecology, and conservation efforts. We would unhesitantly recommend Port of Call to anyone seeking an authentic Stewart Island experience in a comfortable country setting with all the conveniences of home.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Fishdoc49
Reviewed September 15, 2006

I recently stayed in The Bach section of Port of Call. It was great. Beautiful both inside and out with brilliant views. The kitchen was excellently set out and stocked with everything you could ever need. The bed was one of the best I have slept in since starting my tour of New Zealand. The hosts Philippa & Ian Wilson were really friendly and helpful. Starting with picking me up from the harbour and giving me quick tour of the main village to help me find my bearings. They gave a great insight into the island and what to with the time I had. Including and afternoon on Ulva Island (out of this world) and also something I would have missed. The Kakapo Encounter, it was a once in a lifetime chance to see a very rare bird with a very defined cheeky personality up close. They even let me have use of one of there cars! I am female and travelling alone and wasn’t going to go to Stewart Island as I thought it would be too remote and I wouldn’t feel safe. I couldn’t have been more wrong. Everyone was friendly and I never felt insecure at anytime, even while on Ulva practically entirely alone on the island apart from some students. This is fantastic place to go whether you are discovering NZ sole or with company. Stewart Island is the Jewel in the South Islands crown and shouldn’t be missed and I would recommend Port of Call to anyone travelling to the Island.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled solo