We booked this and were prepared to pay the high price because we thought it was something special - it was okay but that was all! Yes it is up a steep hill but not a problem and you do have beautiful views from the shared areas - not from room 6!
We hardly saw the person in charge, the host, and even when she was at her desk in the kitchen area she never spoke! Our room was never attended to - bed never made, no clean linen and nothing cleaned or replenished. The blind at our window was broken and the connecting door into the lodge from our room could not be locked so was not secure. We did see the host on the last morning and she promised our luggage would be put on the correct ferry that day for us - we even put our luggage into the vehicle for her - but we were not convinced she had listened or taken in what we said and we were right to think this as our luggage was put on the later ferry which meant we had to wait 2.5hrs for the last ferry of the day to be reunited with our luggage and had to stay in Invercargill instead of heading up to the Catlins due to this delay. We were not happy!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Stewart Island Lodge is one of New Zealand's southernmost lodges. With expansive views out to sea and over Halfmoon Bay the lodge is ideally situated on a hill just a five minute walk from the village. Its gardens are home to many native birds, including kaka (native parrots), which may be viewed from the terrace. Stewart Island Lodge is an up-market and peaceful B&B, nestled in native bush and provides a stunning setting and a well-appointed place to relax. We are open 1 Aug - 31 May. At other times of the year (June & July), Stewart Island Lodge is available for group bookings for up to 12 people (6 bedrooms, lounge, kitchen and BBQ). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with TripOnline SA so you can book your Stewart Island Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Stewart Island Hotel Stewart Island
- Stewart Island Lodge South Island