“what an amazing stay”

Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Stewart Island
Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand
“what an amazing stay”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

From the minute we got there we were greeted so warmly the rooms were spotless and very cosy the staff were amazing and very willing to help with anything we required and the food at the hotel to die for definitely will recommend and stay there again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
  • Thai first
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed November 17, 2013

We stayed at South Sea Hotel for one night before setting off for the Raikura Track, The rooms had a comfortable queen bed, central heating and shared bathroom facilities, although there was a sink in the room too. It's in a great spot in Oban with lovely views to the water, the food is great we had the blue cod and chips, the chowder too was a favorite. This is a great little kiwi hotel, simple, not flash but wonderful all the same. If you are doing a hike you can shower in the hotel for $5 when you get back and they have lockers to store your stuff while you hike. I also loved how they had earplugs in the room, came in really handy for the huts on the hike. Would definitely recommend

Room Tip: Double looking over water
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed November 4, 2013

Just a really nice, simple hotel. Nothing flash, but everything perfect.
Visited during the quiet season - so facilities were still getting up and running (only a couple of hours for dinner service in the Hotel restaurant), but the service was good, and the locals really make the place something special.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
lower hutt
Reviewed October 27, 2013

We stayed here for two nights and stayed in one of the back motel units. Hotel has a fantastic outlook and staff all seemed pleasant enough albeit one or two. Unit was clean, (cleaner was very friendly and does a great job! - big ups to her) spacious and comfortable and had everything that you would need. I noted in some of the earlier reviews that there can be a problem with noise - we certainly had no problem in the back units. Breakfast was plentiful and the breakfast staff were very good. We also had dinner there one night and the food was better that what you would expect form a local hotel/pub. You feel that you are right in amongst it when staying at the hotel as it seems a focal point for the locals. We were travelling with our 7 year old son and would recommend the hotel to couples, singles or families. The chess set out front was enjoyed by all.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 25, 2013

We arrived at almost 2 pm as the kitchen was closing after lunch but they managed to produce very good fish and chips without any fuss, for which we were very grateful.
The next day we were back for the Sunday night quiz, which was quite an experience. We arrived a bit lTe but were included with no fuss. The quiz mistress has a definite rapport with the local teams and uses colourful language at times but we all enjoyed it, including our 9 month old grandson. She raises a lot of money for the school and if you are on Stewart Island at the weekend it is not to be missed.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Riverton, New Zealand
Reviewed October 15, 2013

I know my heading seems strange. For me to say Steak when Fish is the Dish on Stewart Island, however as I am not a fish eater I naturally chose Steak, but I was a bit worried what it would be like. I cannot say enough about how fabulous it was. Cooked to perfection it was a delight to eat, in fact it was so good I went back the next night to see if it really was as good as it seemed, and I was not disappointed the next time either, so congratulations to the chef I will return again, to test it yet again!!!
This was my first visit to Stewart Island (I say this with my head hung low) as that is not a great statement to tell anyone about, but I know now what I can tell my guests who are not sure whether to go over to the Island or not. I will tell them of your fabulous food, and they will not be able to resist going to see you. The staff are the friendliest, the atmosphere is great, and when we went in for a wonderful breakfast, we were greeted with the dining room full of Mums with their little toddlers, both the Mums and the Children were so quiet but so entertaining it was a joy to be part of. Thank you Stewart Island for your hospitality and friendship, and the big talk we had with Mr Archrite, he is so informative, thanks. Many thanks from me and my guests who thoroughly enjoyed the Island as well, snorkeling and underwater photography being the main entertainment. also the wonderful man who just left his truck at our house while he went fishing, so we could get a look around the Island, now how good is that. Gay @ Riverton Bed and Breakfast.

Room Tip: Sorry we didn't stay at the Hotel, just ate there often, I am sure it would be great, if the res...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rivertonbnb
Wellington New Zealand
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Oban township clings to the edge of New Zealand's third largest island - almost all of which is a national park. The hotel has been here in one form or another for most of the period of European settlement - check out the photos in the dining room or the local museum. As an early arrival it occupies a privileged location fronting the beach, in the more sheltered part of the settlement; with more recent motel-type accommodation behind it. Its warm, very comfortable, and a great base from which to explore. We stayed in the motel-type rooms which were quiet and even if a little dated were comfortable and entirely sufficient for our needs. The dining room (even in May which is off season) was highly popular and must be under pressure in the main summer season. Foveaux Strait is famous for its Bluff oysters - but what was available (in limited quantities) was a massively large grade of these. Its the only time I have had to cut a cooked oyster into three or four pieces to eat it - true. Nothing lost in flavour either. Oban is so compact you can walk around it in half a day; the whole island has only about 28km of roads and when we hired a tiny car for four hours to explore further we had run out of road after 2hours! The real attraction is walking tours, tramping, sea tours - the hotel will readily help with all of these and there are other providers. There is also a joint air/hotel package offered and while we took it and can cope with small planes (5 seats, one pilot in one direction) we will take the ferry next time thanks. There will be a next time and back to the hotel too.

Room Tip: Personally I would head for the motel units - they call them studios - and then for one of the back...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Anchorstone
#5 of 9 in Stewart Island
Lands End Boutique Hotel
Bluff Ocean Vista Accommodation

Been to South Sea Hotel? Share your experiences!