“A very special place”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Stewart Island
Glendaruel Bed & Breakfast
Reviewed April 6, 2014

Raylene welcomed us into her home, meeting us at the harbour, providing tea and biscuits in the lounge and booking an evening meal for us. Our room was very comfortable and breakfasts were excellent. A highlight of our stay was feeding Kaka on the balcony with peanuts provided by Raylene. We enjoyed exploring her beautiful garden and the variety of birds here and on Ulva Island make this worth the ferry journey. Would love to come back and stay longer!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
richStewartIsland, Owner at Glendaruel Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2014

Thank you for being such appreciative guests! Happy birding and remember, just a couple of peanuts!

There are newer reviews for Glendaruel Bed & Breakfast

Reviewed January 20, 2014

We were fortunate enough to spend two nights with Raylene and her terrier MacPherson. They were absolutely delightful hosts, from a wonderful breakfast to booking us a table at the Church Hill for dinner.

The room is just spectacular, looking over the forest canopy and Golden Bay. There was plenty of space to stretch out, read a book, and listen to the birds. It's only a few meters to Observation Rock and a five minute walk to the shops in Oban.

We spent the last three days of our honeymoon on Stewart Island, and it was a great way to relax and wind down the trip. If you get the chance, Glendaruel is the perfect place to do just that.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for such a warm and generous response to Macpherson's attentions and to Glendaruel! Mac and I enjoyed your appreciation of Stewart Island and its attractions. Travel well!

Reviewed November 19, 2013

I had the good fortune to stay 4 nights at Glendaruel B&B and I cannot recommend it highly enough. Raylene was a wonderful host , with lots of knowledge and she went out of her way to help with booking bird trips, packed lunches and washing. Macpherson the Cain terrier was also a wonderful addition to the trip. The garden around the B&B are wonderful and full of native birds and I got see a kiwi outside the front . Waking to birdsong , brilliant .

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank mutiny92

it is a delight to host guests who show such delight in Stewart Island! Thank you for your enthusiastic response. Travel well!

Reviewed November 7, 2013

Imagine trying hard to see just one Tui bird, then discovering after you checked-in to your room at Glendaruel B&B that 50 or more would be filling the trees outside with birdsong! Imagine hearing Kiwi and Morepork owl calling in the night as you look at the constellation Orion in air so clear you can see its nebulae even without binoculars! (In Spring, it rains intermittently, too, making the greenness a welcome respite from our currently parched California.) Prepare to fall in love with the visiting intelligent and comical Kaka parrots, who gently accept a nut and then eat it with the delicacy of a finishing-school graduate.Then imagine every comfort and activities scheduling challenge met with incredible competence, care, kindness and experience by the host, Raylene W. We loved this B&B and plan to return for a longer time...with a 4 night stay, we were just getting started with our discovery of the island. After decades on Stewart Island, Raylene knows everyone, and she was universally held in great respect whenever we mentioned our lodging.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
richStewartIsland, Owner at Glendaruel Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2013

Thank you for your lovely comments.
Travel happily and well.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

I felt utterly at home during my stay, I travelled on my own and throughly enjoyed the peace and beautiful setting of the property. Raylene could not have been more friendly and helpful whilst maintaining professionalism. It was wonderful to have a friendly face at the ferry terminal, a lift to some of the more remote spots for walks, a mug of delicious home made soup on arrival and even an invite to the island pub's quiz night (a must for any visitor!), and all at no extra cost. Raylene also helped me arrange some activities during a time of year when most things seem to shut down, great. Thank you Raylene, I will visit again!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo

Thank you for your lovely comments. Travel well and happily!

Reviewed August 11, 2013

Given the price of the place (240 NZD at the time of our visit in August 2013), we expected a special place. It turned out, however, that Glendaruel is a very regular, average B&B like many others we had stayed before. This is why we cannot give a better rating. There's nothing wrong with the B&B (the attentiveness of the host is probably even above average), and if the price hadn't been the one of room in a really good hotel, we would have been happy. But as it stands, it just doesn't fit.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
10  Thank traveler b
richStewartIsland, Owner at Glendaruel Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

Thank you for the opportunity to explain where Glendaruel Bed and Breakfast 'fits' into the Stewart Island accommodation range. I hope that I can also do justice to our beautiful island by outlining the challenge providers here face in terms of the additional costs of fuel and other commodities, all of which must be shipped across Foveaux Strait. For example, electricity here costs 4 times the mainland rate.

Bed and Breakfast rates on Stewart Island range from $90.00 to over $500.00 per night for a double room. At a mid-range $240.00 per night for a queen or king room with ensuite for two people, a choice of cooked/continental breakfast and all the help I can offer my guests so that they can make the most of their time here, I believe Glendaruel offers good value.

Visitors to my website can access information and pictures of each bedroom and its ensuite, guest lounge, breakfast room, gardens and surrounding sea and forest views. A visit to the Stewart Island website www.stewartisland.co.nz provides a comprehensive overview of accommodation choices.

Winter here can provide a very relaxing and peaceful get-away but does not attract large numbers of visitors. Those accommodation providers who choose to stay open face high fuel/operating costs. For this reason I do not offer winter rates.

The report made favourable mention of 'attentiveness' to clients. As I went to extra lengths for these clients, this is gratifying. In this instance, the clients were offered a free ride out to the road end, so that they could make the most of a coastal walk on their last day. On their return I would meet them at the ferry terminal with their luggage. The round trip for me is 14 kilometres and takes a good half hour on our winding, narrow roads. This offer is standard practice at Glendaruel. What was extra was the request that I also return to the road end to pick them up and bring them back to the ferry terminal. This I did.

The Island taxi service informs me that a one way trip to the road end is $30.00. At the risk of alienating the taxi service, I shall continue to offer such help as I can to ensure my guests a rich experience of Stewart Island hospitality.

Raylene Waddell
Glendaruel

Reviewed July 20, 2013

We recently had the opportunity to stay at the Glendaruel B&B and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The owner, Raylene, was a wonderful host and made us feel quite at home. The breakfast she prepared each morning was fantastic.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your lovely comments!
Best wishes,