“Seriously Overpriced”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Stewart Island
Glendaruel Bed & Breakfast
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Given the price of the place (240 NZD at the time of our visit in August 2013), we expected a special place. It turned out, however, that Glendaruel is a very regular, average B&B like many others we had stayed before. This is why we cannot give a better rating. There's nothing wrong with the B&B (the attentiveness of the host is probably even above average), and if the price hadn't been the one of room in a really good hotel, we would have been happy. But as it stands, it just doesn't fit.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
10  Thank traveler b
richStewartIsland, Owner at Glendaruel Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

Thank you for the opportunity to explain where Glendaruel Bed and Breakfast 'fits' into the Stewart Island accommodation range. I hope that I can also do justice to our beautiful island by outlining the challenge providers here face in terms of the additional costs of fuel and other commodities, all of which must be shipped across Foveaux Strait. For example, electricity here costs 4 times the mainland rate.

Bed and Breakfast rates on Stewart Island range from $90.00 to over $500.00 per night for a double room. At a mid-range $240.00 per night for a queen or king room with ensuite for two people, a choice of cooked/continental breakfast and all the help I can offer my guests so that they can make the most of their time here, I believe Glendaruel offers good value.

Visitors to my website can access information and pictures of each bedroom and its ensuite, guest lounge, breakfast room, gardens and surrounding sea and forest views. A visit to the Stewart Island website www.stewartisland.co.nz provides a comprehensive overview of accommodation choices.

Winter here can provide a very relaxing and peaceful get-away but does not attract large numbers of visitors. Those accommodation providers who choose to stay open face high fuel/operating costs. For this reason I do not offer winter rates.

The report made favourable mention of 'attentiveness' to clients. As I went to extra lengths for these clients, this is gratifying. In this instance, the clients were offered a free ride out to the road end, so that they could make the most of a coastal walk on their last day. On their return I would meet them at the ferry terminal with their luggage. The round trip for me is 14 kilometres and takes a good half hour on our winding, narrow roads. This offer is standard practice at Glendaruel. What was extra was the request that I also return to the road end to pick them up and bring them back to the ferry terminal. This I did.

The Island taxi service informs me that a one way trip to the road end is $30.00. At the risk of alienating the taxi service, I shall continue to offer such help as I can to ensure my guests a rich experience of Stewart Island hospitality.

Raylene Waddell
Glendaruel

Reviewed July 20, 2013

We recently had the opportunity to stay at the Glendaruel B&B and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The owner, Raylene, was a wonderful host and made us feel quite at home. The breakfast she prepared each morning was fantastic.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your lovely comments!
Best wishes,

Reviewed April 24, 2013

This island is just magic and worth the trip to get there as the crossing from Bluff can be a little rough, but make the effort and you will be rewarded with a wonderful experience. This B&B is in a great location and and easy walk to everywhere, well it only has 400 odd inhabitants so no where is far from anywhere.
Raylene is a wonderful host and provides an outstanding breakfast and can advice on everything to do in that area. We saw Albatross, Kaka, Kiwi and lots of Mollymots and wonderful magical place

Room Tip: Make sure you stay for a few days 3 or 4 and be prepared for the crossing they can be rough
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
richStewartIsland, Owner at Glendaruel Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2013

Thank you for such lovely comments.
Travel well and have fun!

Reviewed March 21, 2013 via mobile

I just stayed for two nights but its was the best place to be. When I arrived Realeen had a cup of coffee with mee and told mee what I could do in those days.... If you are going to Steward Island then is this a great place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2013
richStewartIsland, Owner at Glendaruel Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2013

Thank you for the lovely comments!

Reviewed March 17, 2013

We were so pleased that we decided to visit Stewart Island on our recent travels of New Zealand. Our visit was made so special because of our stay at this magical B&B run by the delightful Raylene. Nothing was too much trouble - we were met at the ferry terminal and driven to Glendaruel with all of our luggage and then on another day when we were absolutely exhausted from a busy day, Raylene happily drove down and picked us up outside the Four Square store to save us from a walk up the hill. Our first floor room was very comfortable and also included a great big living room where we could enjoy a drink, cup of coffee, read or relax. The views from the balcony are just gorgeous and Raylene's garden is a paradise. And the birds - so many, including kakas who came down to the balcony railing for a treat of peanuts. Not to forget MacPherson, the cute little Cairn terrier, who also made us welcome. Do yourself a favour - visit Stewart Island, and don't consider staying anywhere else but Glendaruel B&B.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank sueaussie

You were an awesome foursome and such fun to host!
Travel well and have fun!

Reviewed February 21, 2013

When travelling to Stewart Island (and it´s a shame so few people are doing this) this B&B is a must. Situated on top of a small hill it allows great views over Golden Bay and over an outstandingly beautiful garden. If you are lucky enough to get the first floor room you´ll have an additional big living room and two balconies. Raylene´s breakfasts are as gorgeous as it´s her way to run her B&B- thank´s a lot, Raylene! By the way- she recommended to us the "Birding Bonanza"- an experience nobody should miss on Stewart Island.

Room Tip: upstair room has 2 balconies and private living room
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Josef R
Nic N, Owner at Glendaruel Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded February 23, 2013

Thank you for your lovely comment! R. :)

Reviewed January 25, 2013

Raylene looked after us very well in her beautiful home. The bedroom was comfortable and having our own lounge was a bonus especially with the 2 balconies and views over Golden Bay. The house is surrounded by a lovely garden with rain forest plants and kakas (type of parrot) who come hoping for nuts!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple