Tripadvisor
Stewart Island
Open today: 7:30 AM - 6:00 PM
Review Highlights
Highly recommended for tours.

We did two tours through Ruggedy Range... a 3 hour Pelagic Cruise and also a tour of Ulva Island... read more

Reviewed 3 days ago
Itsmeagain2
Tonbridge, United Kingdom
via mobile
Ulva Island birding

Furhana certainly knows the birds on Ulva Island and made sure we had a good sighting of all the... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago

from $128.30
from $31.59
from $57.38
More Info
All reviews ulva island with furhana flora and fauna new zealand kiwi spotting guided walk forest tour half day trip plant life in depth knowledge knowledgeable guide bird watching tour rare birds highly recommend this tour blue penguins excellent tour money well spent wood pigeon
Selected filters
Reviewed January 17, 2020

Visited with my Son. Furhana is passionate and extremely knowledgable. We were trained in how to walk quietly, and see birds and flauna. Couldn't believe the range of birds Furhana found for us. This is not just a guided walked, it is an educational experience. If you want to see the real Ulva Island, and not a rushed trip, book with Furhana! She is the best Guide!!

Date of experience: January 2020
StewartIslandLocal, Owner at Ruggedy Range Wilderness Experience, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2020

Many, many thanks for taking time to review. There is a lot of work that goes into guiding and making sure everyone gets to look and appreciate what we have to show them. As the business has been operating for 20 seasons now, it has been really encouraging to see past clients and guide them again... Each week seems to bring emails from a past client or a recommendation from a past client and helps to make all the effort that I continue to put into my trips worthwhile. With best wishes - Furhana (Owner / Operator - Guide - Ruggedy Range Wilderness Experience).

Reviewed January 11, 2020

Many thanks to you Furhana for what was a memorable sanctuary walk that you took our whanau on. You are a Maire [expert] to say the least with your knowledge of the whenua, the plants, animals and birdlife of this beautiful ngahere [forest]. We commend you for making our trip so child-friendly for our six year old boy. He was fascinated by the many ‘Robin’ we saw this day. We were fortunate enough to see and hear all of the birdlife that reside in this exquisite place. And you gave us the capacity to make memories with nature. A must visit for all holiday makers to Stewart Island. And Furhana and Ruggedy Range Wilderness Experience will not disappoint.
Looking forward to our next visit with you and your team, where we can include the Night Kiwi spotting.

Date of experience: January 2020
StewartIslandLocal, Owner at Ruggedy Range Wilderness Experience, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2020

Many, many thanks for coming on my Ulva Island Birds & Forest Guided Walk. I feel a bit humbled by your feedback given the deep roots of your Maori ancestry in New Zealand and that I am only a relative new come. Thank you for allowing me to share my knowledge with you and for your appreciation. Dakota was a pretty cool kid to guide - so incredibly well behaved, a credit to his family and his whanau. Best wishes and hope to see you all again sometime in Stewart Island.

Reviewed January 1, 2020

We did the Island Scenic Tour, Ulva Island Birds and Forest, and the Pelagic Bird Cruise. Furhana is a brilliant guide, she is very knowledgeable and passionate. My wife is mildly disabled and Furhana looked after her and made sure she didn't miss a thing. If you are coming to Stewart Island, we thoroughly recommended booking your tours with Furhana at Ruggedy Range...she really made our stay memorable.

Date of experience: January 2020
StewartIslandLocal, Owner at Ruggedy Range Wilderness Experience, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2020

Thank you so much Ian. I really loved having Kay and yourself on my tours - you were both so brilliant and easy going, willing to fit in with my timeframes and the weather and that took so much of the stress away during a busy time. Hearing your accents also made me feel a bit a "home" - a funny thing, but true! Thank you for bringing the fish pieces for our pelagic birding - it was so good for our calm, but glorious day with the albatrosses. Best wishes to Kay and yourself and I hope you get to visit again. Also happy fishing during your peaceful early morning and evening times. I hope lots of good things come your way. Furhana - Owner / Operator - Ruggedy Range Wilderness Experience and Aihe Wildlife Cruises & Water Taxi.

Reviewed December 27, 2019

Two person trip with my father, Ferhuna's skill in birdwatching ment we were able to see all of the daytime birds on olva island, including saddleback, yellowhead, and rifelman. She also had great knowledge of the native flaura. Learnt a great deal, and had a wonderfull time.

Date of experience: December 2019
StewartIslandLocal, Owner at Ruggedy Range Wilderness Experience, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2019

Many thanks Craig for coming on our Ulva Island Birds & Forest Guided Walk. A nice day for birds on Ulva Island and great to see so many rifleman including the family out of their nest feeding their young. It was great to meet you and Brian and I wish you all the best with coming New Year. Furhana - Owner / Operator - Ruggedy Range Wilderness Experience.

Reviewed December 6, 2019

Went with Furhana who has been guiding down here for 20 yrs , her own company which she seems to do most things . Her knowledge is amazing , bird life and also the flora and fauna of the native forest. She helped us understand the geology , the formation of the forest and its uniqueness on the world stage. I think we saw all the native birds on this sanctuary. I would highly recommend Furhana as a guide and leader for a small group tour . Ours was about 4 hrs and luckily we had mostly dry weather which made for a pleasant day out

Date of experience: December 2019

Many thanks Nigel, it was lovely to have you join my trip and really pleased you appreciated the depth of knowledge gained from over 20 years of guiding. Ulva Isand Sanctuary is a special place and really lovely to enjoy time experiencing the birds and flora everytime I go there and especially being able to share with all our wonderful clients. Best wishes for the New Year. Furhana - Owner / Operator, Ruggedy Range Wilderness Experience).