“Great way to just relax”
Review of Onsen Hot Pools

Onsen Hot Pools
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: While Queenstown is generally done at full pace, Onsen Hot Pools takes a step back to let you take in the beauty of the surroundings and simply relax. With uninterrupted views across the Shotover Canyon, our Cedar Hot Tubs are heated to 37.8C on warmer days and up to 39.8C during the winter and can accommodate up to four adults. Our natural setting is matched by the pure water captured on its endless journey between the sky and earth to continually fill and refresh the pools. With complimentary transport to and from Queenstown, Onsen Hot Pools is relaxation the natural way.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Stroller parking, Lockers / storage, Stairs / elevator, Wheelchair access
Wellington, New Zealand
37 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 64 helpful votes
“Great way to just relax”
Reviewed August 15, 2014

Onsen Hot Pools is just a perfect way to unwind after a day of skiing - Highly recommended. My wife and I truly enjoyed our experience. Overlooking the Shotover river, Onsen Hotpools is situated just about 10 mins drive from downtown Queenstown. They offer pick-up and drop-off services from 'The Station' which is an added bonus if you haven't got a rental car of your own.

Upon booking you can advised the staff your preferred water temperature. In our case, my wife was pregnant and our water temperature had to be lower than normal - no problem, the staff was more than accommodating. Your very own private pool room has a retractable roof - perfect for a starlit Queenstown winter night or enjoy the view as the sun sets behind you. The pool room also have a shower which allow you to rinse just before your dip and shower afterwards.

For our visit I ordered the pamper pack - great value. The staff are also helpful and thorough. Besides the pool room, there is also a changing rooms and a spacious lounge to relax after the pool experience. My wife and I enjoyed our first visit and will look to come back again.

• Korean first
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Great! However...”
Reviewed August 15, 2014 via mobile

Great views. Lovely setting and amenities. Amazing for our anniversary night out. We loved it, especially with the candlelight package at sunset. However, I woke up sick the next morning. Not sure if this is because of the cold winter air mixed with hot water or if spas are full of germs but I am not the only one I know that this has happened to after visiting Onsen. Something to be wary of...

Sydney, Australia
65 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 92 helpful votes
“$20 for electronic candles?”
Reviewed August 15, 2014

Booked a 9:30pm time slot around three weeks before arriving. I've seen some reviews already about customer service and I will vouch now, the service was excellent for us. From the time of booking, I received very clear details about my booking and how to get to the location. So of people just read instructions clearly, they won't have an issue finding this place, yet in some reviews, it appears some people have no navigational skills.

We arrived about 20 minutes early and greeted at the door by a friendly staff member, we were then escorted down stairs to our room and explained the whole process. No issues here.

I opted for the candle package for an extra $20. On the Onsen website, they explained this package as "The most amazing thing you'll do together during your stay in Queenstown! Surround yourself with the warm glow of candles and be hypnotised as the night sky wheels past slowly overhead".

Well let me tell you, there was no warm glow in these candles as they were all battery operated! I understand there maybe health a safety rules surrounding this, but really? $20 for one of your staff members to flick an on switch on around 25 battery operated candles? There was nothing romantic about this at all. Happy to pay an extra $5-$10 for something like this, but not $20. I'd want the real thing for that much!

All in a all, it was a nice experience, no complaints about the water, appeared clean. Facilities were clean and water temp was just right. Was a nice clear night and nice view of the mountains and stars in the sky. Something I'd only do once.

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Embrace The Serenity”
Reviewed August 14, 2014

After two days of learning to snowboard, our bodies started cramping up and struggling. We thought we were doomed for the rest of the trip until someone mentioned the Onsen Hot Pools. Wowza! Thank you!! An hour of lounging and relaxing in the hot pool while looking out over the river and mountains. Yep, that is serenity at it's finest. The service of collecting you from town and then returning you after your "bath" is faultless.

Visited July 2014
Noumea, New Caledonia
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Unique experience”
Reviewed August 13, 2014 via mobile

Enjoy the hot pools for an hour and the stunning views from the pool
In winter you will plunge with pleasure after the ski for example
We went there with 2 friends and had a fantastic time
It is a very clean place too