“Nice location but bad service”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Oaks Club Resort

Oaks Club Resort
Ranked #36 of 57 Hotels in Queenstown
Melbourne, Australia
“Nice location but bad service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 3, 2014

I had stayed in a 2 br apartment for the last easter for 4 days.

Good points:
- Nice location (next to lake Wakatipu)
- 7 mins by car to Queenstown city centre (You can even walk)
- Shuttle service from CBD to hotel and hotel to CBD
- well equipped kitchen with washing facilities.

Bad points:
- they didn't vacuum the place for all 4 days (service was included in the rooms we booked)
- Used pillow cases were used in the extra pillows
- Bad smell in the corridor towards our room (rotten rat or carpets)
- Bad smell in the balcony area (smells like sewerage)

Since they charge quite a lot for their rooms, the service should be up there too. Disappointing !!

Room Tip: book a room in level 1 to get lake views.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Nuwan A
Aaron J, Manager at Oaks Club Resort, responded to this review, May 4, 2014
Kia Ora and thank you for your recent review of Oaks Club!
I am pleased that you enjoyed the location of the property and found the shuttle and kitchen facilities useful!
I apologise for the housekeeping and maintenance issues you have listed in your review. The state of the spare pillow cases and smells you noted are not acceptable and should not have occurred during your stay.
Once again, thank you for your review and I apologise about the experience you had during your stay. I would welcome the opportunity for you to return to Oaks Club to experience the true service of our property.

Jaimee Davis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2014

We had a group of 5 staying for 11 nights in a 3 bedroom apartment for a skiing holiday.

Good Points:
On entering the room the view of the lake was absolutely spectacular. The furnishings in the room were contemporary and the heating was wonderful. The kitchen and laundry were relatively well equipped.

Bad Points:
Overall after this experience I would never stay in another Oaks property again. The room was untidy (a hole in the wall, discarded items from previous guests), the quilts are not washed between guests (we found blood on it) and staff did not communicate with each other about complaints/issues and the manager did not contact us during our stay despite us asking to speak to him.

My personal pillowcase was removed from my pillow and it took 3 months, and 3 enquiries with reception and 2 emails after my return to Australia to have it replaced.

We were disappointed that one of the bedrooms did not have a lake view or an external window, but instead a window into the kitchen area.

Also on a side note, the shower fitting in one of the ensuite's was really low and my husband was not able to stand under it to shower at all (he is under 6 foot). He just showered in one of the other bathrooms so was not that big of a deal.

Accessing the internet was very troublesome but we were reimbursed for the incorrect charges.

It was unfortunate that we were not able to speak to the general manager during our stay despite asking to speak to him. There was fair resolution following our stay after several emails (and a few months). In the end, was not given a response to satisfy that adequate changes to procedures were made to ensure an experience like this never happened again. Due to this I would never again stay in a property owned or operated by Oaks.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Kim D
Aaron J, Manager at Oaks Club Resort, responded to this review, May 4, 2014
Thank you for your recent review of Oaks Shores!
I am glad that you enjoyed the views from you apartment. The lakefront apartments really do have an unbeatable view! It is great that you found the laundry useful as well.
I can see that you stayed with us in August 2013 and it is a shame that your review has only just recently been published 9 months later. I believe the previous Manager had dealt with your complaint to a sufficient outcome. I apologise once again on behalf of Oaks Club for the housekeeping and maintenance issues you have listed. These issues are not acceptable and should not have occurred during your stay.
I would like to let you know that since your stay with us last year, we have had a change of general manager, hotel manager, housekeeping manager and housekeeping staff. Our Head Office has ensured that this transition period was monitored closely and that all procedures were in line with our company policies.

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2014 via mobile

We stayed 5 nights in a beautiful, modern, two bedroomed apartment (301) with unsurpassed views of the lake and mountains. Well equipped full sized kitchen, huge amount of space, two large sofas and a fireplace which is our new 'essential' luxury item in accommodation. Lovely service from reception (special thanks to Junalyn) and friendly housekeeping staff. Short, scenic walk to town - only 12 mins by road, 15 mins by lakeside path. The exercise was welcome but regular free shuttle available if feeling lazy. Coming home was only a $10 taxi from the town centre. We chose to self cater our last afternoon & evening to take full advantage of the terrace, the fire and the views. Book the two bed lake view even if you don't need the second bedroom because when you compare the rate to anything else in Queenstown you are onto a winner. None of the majors in town have this outlook and anything else along Frankton Road is more expensive. Don't let the unassuming appearance from the road and the quirky approach to your room from reception deceive you. This property is so much nicer than any of their website photos reflect.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Aaron J, Manager at Oaks Club Resort, responded to this review, April 28, 2014
Kia Ora and thank you for your recent review of Oaks Club!
I am so pleased that you enjoyed the views from you room and found the additional features such as the fireplace and the roominess of apartment to be exceeding your expectations.
The free shuttle service certainly is a handy feature of the property and I will pass onto the team your feedback about the great service you received during your stay.
Once again, thank you for your review and we hope to see you back in Queenstown and at Oaks Club soon!

Mollymook, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2014

We stayed 3 nights here. We had a two bedroom apartment level 5. Views brilliant. Had everything that was needed. Fireplace at night was just the trick after a days outing. Staff were very helpful. Nice walk into town but not for the weak hearted. Didn't have any issues, however the fall to ceiling mirrors in bathroom was something different. We will be coming back for sure and will not hesitate to recommend. Well done!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Rocky2305
Aaron J, Manager at Oaks Club Resort, responded to this review, April 13, 2014
Thank you for your recent review of Oaks Club!
I am glad you enjoyed the views that the apartments offer during your stay!
It is great to hear that the apartment had everything you needed and you enjoyed the fireplace. These certainly are a great addition to the deluxe rooms!
Once again, thank you for your review and we hope to see you back in Queenstown soon!

Darwin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014

Recently stayed here in February for our wedding anniversary. The location is quite far from town, need a good half and hour walk to town since it was hilly road and it only took 5 minutes by taxi. Booked the apartment that's overlooking lake Wakatipu. Turned out that it was 2 bedroom apartment and they locked the other room. The apartment was very spacious but small bedroom. Kitchen have heaps of equipment to cook too bad they don't have hot chocolate. Every hotel that we stayed in New Zealand provide hot choco as well beside tea and coffee.
Bed was quite comfortable despite bedroom quite small. The view from our apartment is just simply amazing. Could not asked for more.
We didn't know that they have shuttle bus to town, otherwise we would use it instead of by taxi, nobody told us that they have this shuttle bus.
Would recommend this place but i might try somewhere else that's near to town so it's easy to go around.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gimmiegimmies
Aaron J, Front Office Manager at Oaks Club Resort, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Thank you for your recent review of Oaks Club.
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the amazing views that we have to offer. I am dissapointed that you were not told about the shuttle bus when you checked in. It is normally something we tell all our guests even though it is on our welcome information that we give out on arrival. In the future I will make sure that we are more consistent with the information our guests are told when checking in.I appreciate your feedback and apologise about the lack of information you received.I hope that you do choose to come back to Oaks Club in the future.

Kindest Regards

Hervey Bau
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014

Stayed here for 3 nights, the 2 bed apartment was very spacious and well appointed with floor to ceiling views of Lake Wakatipu. The terrace was huge with the same fantastic views. The lake was easily accessible from the lowest floor of the resort.
The staff were lovely, very helpful and knowledgeable about the local activities. The 30 minute a day free wifi was useful as most places charge.
The only niggle was that like most resorts/hotels in NZ there was no air conditioning and it was quite hot at night in the bedrooms, there was however a pretty spectacular log fire in the room so I'd like to give it a go in the winter. I got a rate of $279 per night for 3 of us on an advance booking which I thought was excellent given the quality of the apartment. I would recommend this resort.

Room Tip: pay a little bit extra for a lake view room
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Aaron J, Manager at Oaks Club Resort, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Kia Ora and thank you for your recent review of Oaks Club!
I am so glad you enjoyed the views that the apartments offer during your stay!
It is great to hear that you enjoyed the space in the rooms and the 30min free wifi.
I am glad that the staff were friendly and were able to help you with any queries you had. I will definitely pass this feedback onto them!
Unfortunately we do not have air conditioning in the rooms. This is not usually required due to the lack of heat in Queenstown but there can be summer days when air conditioning would certainly cool the apartments down. We do offer fans in place of air conditioning though so I hope the team was able to provide you with some of these.

Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014 via mobile

Recently stayed 3 nights at this Resort. There was no swimming pool the gym was smaller than the twin bedrooms and it had no air conditioning. The gym was adjacent to the sauna the heat from the sauna went into the
gym it was unbearable . We booked the courtesy bus to town as the resort is a good 30 min walk out of town we waited for the bus which went past . When we complained to the girl on the desk she stated we had not made a booking which we had. I heard my travelling companion on the phone making the booking. Consequently we had to pay for a taxi. Wi fi was only free for 30 min each day. The cost to purchase was the highest we had come across on our travels. The staff forgot to service out room we had to ring up and complain . I would not recommend this (resort!!). Very disappointing for the price

Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Liz E
Aaron J, Manager at Oaks Club Resort, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Thank you for your recent review of Oaks Club!
I am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your recent stay with us.
Unfortunately we do not offer a pool at our resort. The sauna is separate to the gym so I am unsure as to how it would have made the gym hot. The doors may have been previously left open which would result in the gym being quite hot.
Without further information I cannot comment on the shuttle bus not being booked.
Although we do offer complimentary 30 mins of wifi per room per day I understand that this is limiting.
I do apologise for the issues that you had during your stay and hope that you do choose to come back to Oaks Club in the future!