“Fabulous view from underwhelming apartment”
Review of Oaks Club Resort

Oaks Club Resort
Ranked #33 of 59 Hotels in Queenstown
Reviewed September 8, 2013

We loved the view and our teenagers enjoyed the hot tub in the 2 bedroom lakeview room. Our apartment seemed to have too much crammed into a small space and you always had to squeeze past the furniture in the living area. The kitchen looked good but had a disfunctional design and no storage for food such as cereal etc. The main bedroom and ensuite were lovely but the second bedroom was a bit of a cave and faced the busy main road into Queenstown. Fortunately my daughters can sleep through noise but it might not suit everyone.
I found an overgrown path which took you down to the lake walk and into Queenstown about 30 minutes walk from the Oaks. Queenstown was the last stop on our NZ itinerary and we liked other places on our journey more such as Wanaka. Queenstown is a very expensive tourist town and we wished we'd spend less than 5 days there and more time elsewhere. The Oaks was OK but it suffered from us being uninspired by Queenstown. It would be good if they had more of a privacy screen between the adjoining balconies. Bizarrely the electricity meter is inside the apartment and we were woken early one morning by someone wanting to read the meter, not really appreciated when you're on holiday.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Aaron J, General Manager at Oaks Club Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Hello and thankyou for sharing your experience. I am pleased you enjoyed the view and the hot tub. However, I am sorry that several aspects of the design did not meet your expectations. I acknowledge your comments and will review what can be done. The apartments are individually metered and are read periodically, I apologise that we interrupted you. I do hope you come back to South Island NZ and particularly the Otago region.

Reviewed September 6, 2013

Service was poor, hotel was not up to scratch, facilities was bad, too far from town, have to pay $35 for taxi to and from town. We booked the hotel for a skiing trip two months before travel for stay from 17 August - 20 August 2013. During those time my daughter fractured her elbow and my husband had eyes surgery. The hotel cost $394 per night!! We asked that they charge us for one night and refund us the other two nights but they were so strict and won't make any exception. So we had to 2 days after his surgery and was not able to stay on the first night. So we lost $394!! So be very careful, you better of booking the Crowne Plaza as they allowed 24 cancellation before check in. The spa in the balcony was not heated properly and was too cold so we couldn't use it and we tried ringing reception but no one return our call or let us know what happened. Our beds was not made, tea and coffee was not replaced, towel not replaced either. For that price you better stay at Crowne Plaza ($200 per night) or Novotel and use the extra $194 to go to the Onson Spa which only cost $80 an hour and have massage as well. Would not stay there again in a million years.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Aaron J, General Manager at Oaks Club Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

Kia Ora and thankyou for your comments. I apologise that your experience did not meet your expectations. Oaks Club is a picturesque 15-20 minute walk to town. Alternatively, the taxi service is approx $15 one way. The local bus service operates every 15-20 minutes for most of the day and offers discounted prices for our guests. In addition, we recently released a complimentary shuttle service to/from Queenstown. We are pleased to offer flexible bookings that allow amendments and a 24hr cancellation period. However, you selected a booking type with no amendments or refunds. We would be happy to assist with a travel insurance claim. We inspected the spa and found it was operating correctly. I apologise it did not meet your expectations. I am unable to explain why you could not call reception. Our reception is open between 7am and 8pm each day. After these hours the phone automatically diverts to our nearby hotel (Oaks Shores) which is open 24hrs every day of the year. The team at Shores are always happy to help. We also have an on-site caretaker at Club should there be a need for personal assistance. I checked your booking and unfortunately it was accidently coded as un-serviced. I apologise for this mistake. We would have welcomed you letting us know your room wasn’t serviced at the time and we would have been very happy to rectify the situation immediately. The other hotels you mentioned are well regarded establishments however we are quite different which reduces the relevance of direct price comparisons. Our guests enjoy having a spa (available in some apartments) on the balcony as they can use it at any time rather than being restricted to short sessions at another location. I apologise that we were unable to provide you with an enjoyable stay.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

Whilst as previously mentioned there is no doubt the view from our 2 bedroom apartment at the Oaks resort was stunning, the same could be said of just about any complex in Queenstown . The oaks resort is located a little north (approx. 2-3 klms) of the town centre and there are no shops or facilities close by. There is a bus stop on the main road just outside though.
We came away feeling a little bit disappointed with the the accommodation at the Oaks resort. Nothing serious, but with a little more thought the stay could have been so much better.
Firstly we arrived at 3 pm on check in day to find our room was not ready. Apparently some cleaning staff failed to arrive at work and The girls on reception were certainly frazzled. No big deal, we went into to town and had a look around for an hour or so and did some grocery shopping while we waited for the apartment to be made ready.
It should be noted The driveway and parking bays are very steep and entry to reception would be hazardous on a wet day. Would also be tricky for disabled or elderly.
We were 2 couples and specifically booked 2 doubles beds in the 2 bedroom apartment. We were a little disappointed to find that one room contained 2 single beds. Again no biggie, but not what we booked.
We had planned on self catering for most of our stay and found that the kitchen was a not designed for catering for 4 adults. The minibar fridge was way to small for our needs and the freezer compartment was filled to capacity with 2 ice trays leaving no room for anything else. Also the 2 burner stove is what we expect in a campervan, not a quality apartment. There was also no oven. Would have been nice to know this before we went shopping.
Throughout our stay the housekeeping was hap hazard. Some days it was done others not at all. Didn't bother us too much but again not what you would expect from such a property.
The free wifi service is pitiful. 30 minutes or 50 mb per day which must be used in a single session. Log out after a few minutes and you can't get back on that day. Presented a bit of a problem for one of our group who needed to check work emails on a regular basis. You can of course upgrade to the paid service which was very expensive. We resorted to going into town and using the excellent NZ Telecom free wifi. Most of the other hotels we saw had signs advertising unlimited free wifi.
Another issue was the furnishing of the apartment. Not enough seating in the lounge area with just a 3 seater couch, which looked great but was uncomfortable to sit on. There was a large ottoman thingo which also looked great but totally useless as a seat to relax on. We used it as a drying rack for our ski gear, because unfortunately there is also no drying room for storing of wet gear. Seems a big oversight in a ski town. Also annoying was the phone which lived next to the previously mentioned mini stove. This had to be placed on the floor where it was duly kicked and tripped over. A 2 dollar wall bracket would fix the problem and save the phone from an early death.
In the bedroom our bedside lamp was broken and all the beds were very uncomfortable. Noisy inner spring jobbies that squeaked at the slightest movement. Not sure what the neighbours thought of the noises through out the night, but it wasn't want you think.
It wasn't all bad though. The staff were fantastic. Sarah in particular on the front desk was always cheerful and happy to help with tour booking etc.
The apartment was clean enough and a small maintenance item ( the bathroom sink blocked) was attended to quickly.
I often wonder when I stay at some of these places if the management ever take the opportunity to spend a night in their own rooms to see what needs to be done. It's obvious they never have in this hotel. ( or they don't care)
As I said no huge issues, but with a bit of foresight by management, our stay would have been so much better.
The are plenty of other apartments closer to town that looked as good or better for the same or better price, and thats where we will stay next year.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Guy B
Aaron J, General Manager at Oaks Club Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2013

Hello and thankyou for your detailed comments. Thankyou also for responding to my message so I could establish which apartment you stayed in.
Check in time is 2pm and I apologise your room wasn’t ready at that stage. I appreciate you were able to go shopping which gave us additional time to complete our preparations.
We are very happy to convert the single beds to a king on request. Your booking included a request for two king beds. I apologise this was not done for your arrival, further that the lamp was not working and the inconsistent housekeeping service. I examined the housekeeping records for your booking and discussed your comments with our housekeeping team.
We have two types of apartments; The Two Bedroom Lakeview which has a full kitchen (including a full size fridge, cooktop with four gas burners, dishwasher and an oven). The other type which you stayed in is the Two Bedroom which has a kitchenette (including a bar fridge, dishwasher, microwave, two burner cooktop). I acknowledge your comments regarding the seating of the room you stayed in. We are reviewing this with the owner.
Oaks are currently undertaking a review of the pricing and download limits of our internet service. We look forward to releasing the new service in the near future.
As an alternative to a drying room we offer secure and ventilated lockers for storage of ski equipment. These are available on complimentary basis.
I agree with your comment about the phone in the kitchen/dining area. We have now installed a wall fixing.
I am pleased the team were happy to help and that the sink was attended to quickly. I have shared your comments with the team including Sarah.
I am sorry that you were disappointed with your stay. Your experience is not what we set out to deliver. I acknowledge your comments for improvement and I hope you reconsider staying with again in the future.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

We recently stayed in a two bedroom apartment for 6 nights in this resort. It's true the views are amazing and the huge furnished deck is great. BUT the second bedroom is a dark windowless airless cave. I cannot imagine how they got permission to build this way! There is nothing good about getting this room! Overall we were not impressed - the apartment was not particularly clean, the furniture shabby and the "servicing" which consisted of making the beds and replenishing soaps etc was not done ever before 3 pm and once not till 6 pm. The location is good with a walking/cycling path right in front.

Room Tip: Never take the second bedroom in a two bedroom apartment.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank doloresbaby
AaronJeffrey, General Manager at Oaks Club Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2013

Hello and thankyou for your feedback. I apologise that we were not able to provide you with an all-round enjoyable stay. I have sent a message to you regarding the matters you raised. I hope to hear from you so I can investigate further. Your comments and suggestions serve as an invaluable source of information and will help to ensure that we continue to improve our operation and service standards. We hope you have the opportunity to return to Queenstown and stay with us again.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

Oaks Club Resort is located in an amazing setting over looking the lake.
I first booked 2 hotel rooms but was kindly offered a 2 bedroom lake view apartment. The apartment was equipped with a full kitchen as well as a huge lounge with comfy leather lounges and a cosy fire place.
The staff at Oaks must be mentioned for their helpfulness in helping choice tours and prompt attention for anything we required.
The beds and electric blankets made our nights sleep very relaxing after a day on the slopes.
Thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jennycowie14

Hello Jenny, thankyou for your comments. I am thrilled that you had a great stay for your “Girls Ski Trip Away”. I have shared your comments with the team. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Stayed in a two bed lake view apartment for 6 days. The facilities, presentation, and cleanliness was great. Felt at home and very relaxed in our apartment.
The view was just phenomenal.. whether from the lounge, balcony, and main bedroom.
Staff were uber friendly - very much appreciated. Thank you.

The few small qualms were the apartment smelled of bacon at the start of our stay (could be a plus for some out there!), the dishwasher was dirty, and we could hear people in the adjacent room through one of those internal doors linking to what i'm guessing was one of the rooms numbered '000A'.

Overall we were very happy with our apartment and I'd definitely recommend this place to others.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank noobert
Aaron J, General Manager at Oaks Club Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2013

Hello and thankyou for your review. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and that you felt at home and relaxed in the apartment. I agree the views are phenomenal! I apologise for the odour, we have techniques to ensure rooms smell fresh prior to guests arriving and the dishwasher should have been clean. Thankyou for your recommendation and we look forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Beautiful Hotel next to the Lake. The Hotel doesn't look like much from the outside as it is downhill of the road but once in side its very nice. The views of the lake are incredible. Staff is very friendly. My wife and I stayed for a total of three nights as part of our Honeymoon. Its about 15 mins walk from town center. The trick is to walk down to the lake and take the scenery route to town.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank peredaj
Aaron J, General Manager at Oaks Club Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 24, 2013

Congratulations on your marriage and thankyou for choosing to share your honeymoon with us. We are privileged to have such wonderful views and the walk to town along the lakeside is special. We hope you have an opportunity to return to Queenstown and stay with us again.