“great food and great staff”
Review of The Bunker

The Bunker
Ranked #14 of 265 Restaurants in Queenstown
Cuisines: Contemporary, International, New Zealand, Wine Bar
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Hidden away down a back alley in the center of Queenstown behind a rustic old wooden door, The Bunker offers discreet and intimate 'rustic' fine dining – specializing in red meats, game and local produce with a distinctly New Zealand flavour complimented by crackling log fires, intimate atmosphere, personal service and an impressive wine list. Our Cocktail Bar upstairs from the restaurant offers hand crafted classic and modern cocktails and an extensive wine and premium spirit list in a cosy lounge atmoshere which welcomes guests right through to the wee small hours. Wowing locals and visitors alike for over a decade with superb cuisine, friendly and knowledgeable service and a unique atmosphere, The Bunker is certainly a Queenstown experience not to be missed. PRIVATE DINING ROOM AVAILABLE FOR LARGE GROUPSDiscover The Bunker – Queenstown's best kept secret since 1997.
Reviewed July 28, 2016

Over 3 nights we tried the upstairs bar then the downstairs restaurant and the the upstairs restaurant. all so good. the degustation menu, with matching wines, was incredible. Loved the Paua, the risotto, the hare, the salmon, the lamb...all great. Shane downstairs is fantastic and Davo upstairs did a great job too

1  Thank Ross H
Write a reviewReviews (1,400)

Reviewed July 27, 2016 via mobile

Went to this little restaurant for my 30th birthday and we were not disappointed. Nicely tucked away and a lovely fire. Small restaurant so only ~12 tables. Wonderful menu and big wine list.
The lamb and venison dishes were delicious.

1  Thank HelenB676
Reviewed July 25, 2016 via mobile

We had the 7 course degustation with matching wines and enjoyed the evening thoroughly, with no complaints about the quality of food .
Impeccable yet friendly service with attention to detail throughout. Cocktail bar upstairs was a good start to a wonderful evening. Thanks guys for giving us a great night to remember

Reviewed July 24, 2016

We'd been to The Bunker four times over the last 15 or so years and came away raving about it everytime. But this visit just wasn't up to standard right from the start. After a very enjoyable pre-dinner visit to the Bunker Bar (not to be missed) we arrived for our dinner - then were left standing in the middle of the dining room while the waiter did something with our coats. Finally seated, it took two goes to halt him mid-spiel about the degustation menu which he should have known we weren't interested in because I'd specified that we had a vegetarian when I booked and there was no vegetarian option (and the whole table had to have it).

The menu had a lot of repeated ingredients - I wanted fish but both fish dishes had chives which I don't like; the single vegetarian entree and the single vegetarian main both featured goat's cheese which our vegetarian doesn't like (and no alternative was available), so she had to order a side dish as an entree. The waitress was very friendly but not well trained - she forgot to collect our drink orders, and then we she did bring them she paused next to me and passed my husband's champagne across me to him, my right hand companion's champagne across the front of her, then gave me mine, then went around the table to place the last glass - over $100 of champagne and no excuse for not walking around the table placing it politely to each guest's right.

When the food arrived, my scallops were one of the first two dishes out, we waited much longer than I would have expected for the next two dishes to arrive and by the time I ate my scallops they were barely warm - when the waiter inquired I told him this and he told me they couldn't have been as they were just out of the oven! (Why ask if you are going to contradict your customer? - In retrospect, this man's attitude really did nothing to enhance our night. For someone who made sure we knew he was an important personage at the restaurant, he actually appeared quite miffed with us, when we were actually initially very well-disposed to the restaurant.)

The same thing happened with the mains - the two fish dishes coming out first and then a longer than expected wait for the other two dishes. (Am I the only person who thought that fish should come out last to make sure it is hot?) Both fish dishes were disappointing, lacking flavour, with the seemingly unseasoned salmon arriving with a cream sauce and oil (because salmon's not rich enough already), super-stodgy gnocchi, and tasteless baby shrimps (seemed like pre-frozen), so the whole thing sorely missed flavour and texture. The blue cod with vegetable broth also lacked flavour. The vegetarian dish (sans chevre) was good and so was the venison.

A bit disappointed, we tried for desserts, again with mixed success. The creme brulee was enjoyed, as were parts of the other three desserts, but elements, such as the coconut panna cotta, were again lacking a flavour note/intensity of taste.

For the prices charged at The Bunker, we really expected tastier food, better service, and a more inspired menu. Very disappointing from what had been one of our favorite restaurants in the country.

Reviewed July 24, 2016 via mobile

My partner Tommy and I went to the bunker 3 out of the 4 nights we were in Queenstown! The staff (Eve, Callum, Coo and Alesandro) were incredible and their cocktail skills were ridiculous!

They were knowledgeable, charming and super talented and we couldn't recommend it high enough!!

Special thanks to Coo for her amazing twist on a Classic Martini!!!! You are incredible and your talent is out of this world!

Thanks all and we will 100% be back!

1  Thank chloee728