“Internet deal = fancy food in a place we wouldn't normally visit”
Review of The Bunker

The Bunker
Ranked #11 of 266 Restaurants in Queenstown
Cuisines: Contemporary, International, New Zealand, Wine Bar
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Hidden away down a back alley in the center of Queenstown behind a rustic old wooden door, The Bunker offers discreet and intimate 'rustic' fine dining – specializing in red meats, game and local produce with a distinctly New Zealand flavour complimented by crackling log fires, intimate atmosphere, personal service and an impressive wine list. Our Cocktail Bar upstairs from the restaurant offers hand crafted classic and modern cocktails and an extensive wine and premium spirit list in a cosy lounge atmoshere which welcomes guests right through to the wee small hours. Wowing locals and visitors alike for over a decade with superb cuisine, friendly and knowledgeable service and a unique atmosphere, The Bunker is certainly a Queenstown experience not to be missed. PRIVATE DINING ROOM AVAILABLE FOR LARGE GROUPSDiscover The Bunker – Queenstown's best kept secret since 1997.
Reviewed November 15, 2012

We got a deal on the internet to visit here for a 4-course meal for two.

First the not-so-good news:
The first course was duck liver parfait with crackers. There was no choice for anything else and since duck liver parfait is really something I'd rather not eat, I considered this not really a first course!

The only other thing was that the tables were very close together and it is difficult not to get caught up in other people's conversations (even if you really don't want to listen).

The good news:
The 2nd - 4th courses were really good, in my opinion. I had lamb for my main and my husband had rabbit. He wasn't that impressed with the rabbit but was glad he tried it because he hadn't before. My lamb was really good (I had to try hard not to think about all the cute lambs we had been passing on our road trip!). The desserts were yum too, although by that time we were possibly too full to really enjoy them 100 %!

The setting is unusual and appealing. There was an open fire which was nice and warm (although very smoky). The staff were attentive and polite.

I would go back to this place again, even without another voucher.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,040)

Reviewed November 12, 2012

We have eaten here for 5 years. It's very cute and cosy and nice for a small group dinner. The service is actually excellent. The food just not as good as it was a few years ago. Still a nice, special evening out

Reviewed November 10, 2012

The Bunker was recommended to us by friends who said it was a romantic place with excellent food. We were not disappointed!! Beautiful log fire, attentive waiters and the food was fantastic. Started with the quail which was one of the nicest plates of food i have ever eaten. The lamb main was awesome too and my fiancé's beef was very tasty too, both cooked perfectly to our liking. The wine list was substantial with several good options by the glass. Not the place to go for a cheap meal, but we thought good value for one of my top food experiences.

Reviewed November 6, 2012

We visited The Bunker for dinner last weekend. The meal, ambience, service was fantastic. We were particularly impressed with the entree's of Scallops and Crayfish - just superb. The service was excellent without being over the top. A great place or a romantic dinner. We give it 10 out of 10. We will definately be back.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

The first night was my wifes 50th. A small group of 6 of us (family and friends) enjoyed a great evening. It started upstairs in a very comfortable cocktail bar. Friendly and very skilled staff assisted us with making the right choices. Even my son got a mocktail specially made for him. The meal was one of the best I had ever experienced and this seemed to be the comments from the rest of the group. Again the staff were friendly and professional. Not an easy combination.
The 2nd night was our last night in Queenstown. Family and friends had left. We experienced a romantic evening for two, again, very special night. The surroundings are welcoming, the staff friendly and professional and knowledgable. Just a great experience. It's not often you go twice to a place and find the original experience is improved on.