“Excellent food & service”
Review of The Bunker

The Bunker
Ranked #11 of 266 Restaurants in Queenstown
Cuisines: Contemporary, International, New Zealand, Wine Bar
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Hidden away down a back alley in the center of Queenstown behind a rustic old wooden door, The Bunker offers discreet and intimate 'rustic' fine dining – specializing in red meats, game and local produce with a distinctly New Zealand flavour complimented by crackling log fires, intimate atmosphere, personal service and an impressive wine list. Our Cocktail Bar upstairs from the restaurant offers hand crafted classic and modern cocktails and an extensive wine and premium spirit list in a cosy lounge atmoshere which welcomes guests right through to the wee small hours. Wowing locals and visitors alike for over a decade with superb cuisine, friendly and knowledgeable service and a unique atmosphere, The Bunker is certainly a Queenstown experience not to be missed. PRIVATE DINING ROOM AVAILABLE FOR LARGE GROUPSDiscover The Bunker – Queenstown's best kept secret since 1997.
Reviewed October 9, 2012

We decided on the Bunker for our first dinner whilst on our honey moon, very glad we did so.

We headed upstairs to the bar with an awesome open fire place, we grabbed a drink and relaxed on the lounges until staff collected us from downstairs - great service.

Service downstairs was great the whole night, friendly Irish server was great, promptly filling our water etc.

Food was excellent - we shared the scallops as a starter - just yum! The missus had the lamb rack, which was cooked perfectly, very tender. The accompanying confit garlic mash was yumo, as was the jus. I ordered the duck which was served a couple of ways, the breast was lovely and pink, and the duck pancake was also great. Roasted pumpkin battons were great with it.

All round, we loved this cosy place with great music and an open fire place - perfect for couples.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,040)

Reviewed September 28, 2012

We booked a table at The Bunker based on the Tripadvisor reviews and we were not disappointed. High quality food, great presentation and a very cosy setting. Everything we ordered was cooked to perfection. It is a pit pricier than some of the other places in Queenstown but it was worth it.
The only negative thing was that we were seated right next to the (beautiful) big fireplace which meant it was just a bit too hot.

Reviewed September 22, 2012

Hard to find, but worth the look.
Dim and intimate restaurant.
I shared a squid entree and ordered the duck for a main.
When the entree was served I was worried this was going to be one of those places with the big plates, small serving.
The main (with a shared side) proved me wrong and although I finished every bite, I couldn't go for a dessert.
A filling meal for 2 (no alcohol) came to just over $100

Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

I think the recent refurb has done wonders for this iconic queenstown bar. The atmosphere is much better then before. The cocktails are great, they always were anyway. The service is also much better then I have experience on previous visits. The bunker is a great bar to make a point of visiting when you are out in Queenstown. I would certainly recommend it to others.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

I'm a foodie and before I visit a restaurant, even if I've been before, I love reading reviews and contemplating the menu, for me it's part of the whole experience. I'm not from Queenstown but every year or so we holiday there and I must say, The Bunker ticks all the boxes to keep me coming back. In my opinion the cosy ambiance and unique flavors sets this restaurant apart from many other QT establishments. Everyone has duck, venison and lamb rack on their menu - it all sounds and tastes similar however you can expect something more memorable at The Bunker. And lets face it, being hidden away and intimate makes diners feel special - though some may term this snobbish, it's another point of difference. Sharing the secret with another couple this weekend and I've already decided what I'm having! Can't wait!