“Ticks all the boxes, Tickles the taste buds!”
Review of The Bunker

The Bunker
Ranked #11 of 266 Restaurants in Queenstown
Cuisines: Contemporary, International, New Zealand, Wine Bar
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic, Bar scene, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Hidden away down a back alley in the center of Queenstown behind a rustic old wooden door, The Bunker offers discreet and intimate 'rustic' fine dining – specializing in red meats, game and local produce with a distinctly New Zealand flavour complimented by crackling log fires, intimate atmosphere, personal service and an impressive wine list. Our Cocktail Bar upstairs from the restaurant offers hand crafted classic and modern cocktails and an extensive wine and premium spirit list in a cosy lounge atmoshere which welcomes guests right through to the wee small hours. Wowing locals and visitors alike for over a decade with superb cuisine, friendly and knowledgeable service and a unique atmosphere, The Bunker is certainly a Queenstown experience not to be missed. PRIVATE DINING ROOM AVAILABLE FOR LARGE GROUPSDiscover The Bunker – Queenstown's best kept secret since 1997.
Reviewed September 19, 2012

I'm a foodie and before I visit a restaurant, even if I've been before, I love reading reviews and contemplating the menu, for me it's part of the whole experience. I'm not from Queenstown but every year or so we holiday there and I must say, The Bunker ticks all the boxes to keep me coming back. In my opinion the cosy ambiance and unique flavors sets this restaurant apart from many other QT establishments. Everyone has duck, venison and lamb rack on their menu - it all sounds and tastes similar however you can expect something more memorable at The Bunker. And lets face it, being hidden away and intimate makes diners feel special - though some may term this snobbish, it's another point of difference. Sharing the secret with another couple this weekend and I've already decided what I'm having! Can't wait!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,040)

Reviewed September 15, 2012

You do need to book here as its a smaller restaurant but its worth the visit . We loved the atmosphere and the open fire. Food was delicious and the staff were great . The Entree's are a must !

Reviewed September 13, 2012 via mobile

Must book since it is small and intimate. Short, quality menu. Great wines list. Arrive early, go to the upstairs lounge and enjoy a magnificent cocktail. Then down to the restaurant for an outstanding culinary experience. Our party of 6 was celebrating a 50th birthday and we commented that our meals were amongst the best we'd ever enjoyed - anywhere !
Jeremy and the staff were attentive and deserving of the highest thanks. There are many things which will bring us back to Queenstown but this restaurant is at the absolute top of our list. A must visit Thank you.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

Went here with my husband for after dinner drinks. Great, funky decor with lots of James Bond memorabilia. Cozy fire inside with lots of nooks to sit and relax. Great place to chill out with friends with a great wine and full spirits menu.

Reviewed September 3, 2012

I visited this restaurant while on holiday in August 2012. I sought out this restaurant specifically based on a review I read in the airline magazine and in the local Queenstown restaurant guides. It markets itself as 'fine dining'. We had the worst dining experience I think I've ever had. We originally walked in without a booking but they were fully booked for that night (it is clearly a popular spot), so we booked a table for a few nights later. I sensed a superiority complex from the man masquerading as the maitre d' but I thought maybe he was just having a bad night, how wrong I was. We returned a few nights later for our 8,30pm booking only to be sent upstairs to the bar to wait as our table wasn't ready. We went to the bar and ordered a nice bottle of Pinot to go with our food. Half an hour later our table was ready. It then took another 30 minutes for them to take our food order. It then took them 15 minutes for them to tell me they didn't have any of the entree that I had ordered as the last one just went. I was annoyed at this as they would have had my entree if I had been seated at 8.30pm. So instead I ordered the goats cheese croquets. These were approximately 2% goats cheese and 98% mashed potato. I notice these are no longer on the menu. By the time the mains came there wasn't much of our bottle of wine left to go with the red meat dishes we had ordered and I had to tell the waitress to stop topping up the glasses. I ordered the venison main one piece of which was cooked nicely, the other was very over done and disappointing. My husband had a pate entree and pork belly main which were mediocre. As for the service, the maitre d' spent the whole night looking down his nose at us and didnt apologise once for all the delays. I got the distinct impression he'd never set foot in a real fine dining restaurant in his life. When we were finally leaving the waitress assumed she was keeping the $20 change as a tip, which led to quite an uncomfortable silence at the till until she realised that her saying 'see you again soon' wasn't going to make us go away. I wish I hadn't wasted one of my nights in this place!

6  Thank Flidley