“An enjoyable food experience”
Review of Tatler - CLOSED

Tatler
Cuisines: New Zealand
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Melbourne, Australia
“An enjoyable food experience”
Reviewed April 25, 2013

We visited Tattlers twice during our stay in Queenstown and enjoyed the food on both occasions.The soups were delicious..Thank you Frank...! The mains was great too.The service was good too..One of our favourite places in Queenstown mall..

Queenstown, New Zealand
“Average when it really shouldn't be”
Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

Service was haphazard. Quite a few staff but most seemed like they would rather be elsewhere and they did seem to struggle to do simple things like serve drinks promptly or without being reminded. The food was ok, we'll presented but let down by details, such as the grilled tomato still having the stalk attached and the poached eggs being overcooked.
Generally felt like a little bit more effort would make the service and food match the nice decor and cosy atmosphere.

• Visited April 2013
“Disappointed unfortunately....”
Reviewed March 31, 2013

This was our second visit to Tatler, having previously had brunch there approx 6 months prior which was quite good, both service and food wise. This occasion we recommended it to our group of friends who were also staying in Queenstown (approx 10 of us). To be fair, we did not make a booking but were hoping that 9.30am on a Sunday morning we would be able to get a table which we did. What followed was a stark contrast to our previous visit. One member of our group received her breakfast, which although wasn't what she ordered exactly was happy to eat. The rest of the group then had to wait another 35 mins before our meals were delivered, some were cold and others scalding hot. The waiter we had was quite rude when it transpired that the meal which had been delivered 35 mins before ours was actually someone else's, and then huffed and puffed when he had a surplus dish and had to arrange for another dish to be cooked. Our coffees we ordered also arrived just as we were preparing to leave - they had been ordered as we sat down and before our breakfast orders were taken. The restaurant would have had approx 10-15 other guests with approx 4 visible wait staff so not exactly rushed and had time to chat behind the bar. We won't be visiting Tatler again and would not recommend based on the poor and slow service, food was okay.

1 Thank Megan M
Queenstown, New Zealand
“Good food, terrible service.”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I was really excited heading to Tatler, as myself and my boyfriend were treating ourselves to a more expensive restaurant than we would usually visit, living in Queenstown and earning (poor!) Queenstown wages. Unfortunately whilst we had no complaints about the food, which was all lovely and well presented, the service we received totally let down our experience, and we left very deflated.

It started before we even got in the door. The "Greeter" seemed more like a guard, and physically blocked us from entering until we had confirmed that we had a reservation (they were pretty busy, but she was rude). She walked us to the bar, and from here we assumed she was looking into our reservation, or had passed us on to someone else. She hadn't.

After standing by the register like lemons for quite a while, we noticed she was back outside and all other staff were studiously ignoring us. We eventually flagged down an irritated-looking staff member, who asked another reluctant staff member to assist. When they then couldn't find any record of my booking, they were totally unapologetic and seemed put out when we still expected to be seated. My reservation was for 'Becky', and I'd heard the girl turn the pages of the diary while I'd been on the phone, and she'd confirmed the details back to me before I hung up. They repeatedly asked if maybe it was the booking they had under Adam(?!). I think eventually they bizarrely assumed this was the case, and we were given 'Adam's' table.

We had to flag someone for our drinks order, and then I think again for mains. Every person who came to the table was different, so we had no concept of who 'our' waiting staff might be. Our plates took forever to be cleared, the only person who raised a smile whilst serving us was the one who came for payment (after we'd been sat with the bill for 20mins and finally gone to the register to be told we'd pay at our table). Not once did someone ask how the food was or offer more drinks. By and large, we were treated as an inconvenience from beginning to end.

I've never before really noticed poor service in a restaurant, so this complaint is not one I make lightly. Probably the most disappointing thing for us is that the next day my partner emailed the restaurant about our experience, and we received no response whatsoever. He has previously managed large, busy, highly successful London restaurants and had no explanation for what we experienced. Yes, they were fairly busy, and I also know in Queenstown it can be hard to retain good staff, but the lack of organisation seemed endemic.

On the other hand, we've been to Prime a couple of times which is owned by the same company, and always had really good service, although it has been considerably quieter. I'm tempted to go back one day to try the Tapas, but I won't walk in the door if I see that they're busy inside. This experience was several months ago; so things might have improved, but I still wanted to get it off my chest.

• Visited October 2012
1 Thank NZbex83
Blenheim, New Zealand
“Tuesday BYO nights are brilliant”
Reviewed March 26, 2013

It was great to be able to enjoy our wines with their great food. Service is always good with friendly staff, the menu is varied and caters for all. Had 4 great meals as per the photos below. $5 corkage for BYO on Tuesday is excellent, esp for locals. Thanks.