“Great spot for dinner!”

Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed October 20, 2013

This is the second time dining at Sombreros in Queenstown and both times have been great! They offer shots, 'long necks' and a variety of local and imported beers. The food was quick and tasty (within 5 minutes of us sitting down we had complementary chips and salsa at our table). This time I have given it 4 stars for two reasons: 1. I found a small chicken bone in my food (lets face it, it wasn't that bad) 2. When I asked the waitress what she recommends, she appeared surprised that I asked and was unable to provide me with a recommendation (I am unsure if she was new or just hadn't dined there before). All other service was great and they provide you with a selection of chilli sauces (for those who like to heat it up a bit).

All in all, despite the minor flaws, this is a great place to stop and grab a feed!

Drewski1974, Owner at Sombreros Mexican Cantina, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Hi there, thank you so much for your very reasoned and balanced appraisal of our restaurant. I really appreciate the honest and candid feed back towards the meal and the service. I apologise for the chicken bone, this is very actionable and will be addressed, as will the menu knowledge of our newest team member. I'm glad that you enjoyed yourself despite these minor hiccups. I hope we get to serve you again sooner rather than later.

Warm regards

Drew Harmer

Reviewed October 14, 2013

This is a great little spot for a tasty, filling meal. The staff were friendly and welcoming and the service was quick. The food is good but doesn't have that authentic Mexican taste. Huge range of hot sauces though and good selection of beers.

Reviewed October 12, 2013

A group of us met in QT for dinner and with no pre-booking on a weds night, went looking for something a little different. The place was busy, but a table was available upstairs. Lovely meal, nicely laid out dining cubicles so that even when busy, it wasn't terribly noisy and a little more privacy than we were expecting. The meals were tasty, and considering how busy they appeared to be, came out reasonably quickly. Staff were friendly and attentive and the meal for 6 was very reasonably priced.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

Good sized entree, mixed dips
Mains not so large, but after the entree that was okay
Very fast to have the meals ready
Had Sangria - ok, but quiet expensive (as most drinks are in in Queenstown)
Overall a good meal after a days skiing and hit the spot

Reviewed October 6, 2013

My son and I were in the mood for Mexican one night. Ended up at Sombreros. The service was a little slow especially since they were not super busy. Our food was delicious and satisfied our Mexican cravings. Great selection of hot sauces. Tried several of them. Only thing missing is tasty re-fried beans, which I never seem to get outside of New Mexico. Prices were reasonable.