“Restaurant with character”

Roaring Megs Restaurant
Ranked #63 of 257 Restaurants in Queenstown
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Searching for the perfect NZ Lamb dish? Then look no further than Roaring Megs, this unique little restaurant will not disappoint! Established in 1981, Megs has continued to lead the field by being the only restaurant in the area to receive 18 consecutive NZ Beef & Lamb Gold plates(incl. 2017) and win both the recent Central Otago Lamb Dish of the Year and NZ Beef & Lamb Peoples Choice competitions. Megs unique menu has distinct European/NZ influences and the Rack of Canterbury Lamb and Lamb Cutlets with Confit are must tries whilst in Queenstown. The atmosphere and Victorian decor is the perfect setting for a romantic, candlelit dinner or group get together. Arrive before the sun sets for a Remarkables view.
Legana
“Restaurant with character”
Reviewed January 23, 2014

This restaurant is situated upstairs and had a very quiet atmosphere. We were drawn by an advertising board outside on the footpath and when we went to order discovered one item was unavailable. However what we ordered was very well presented beautifully cooked and very good eating. The service was great (apart from not informing us one thing was unavailable) and overall our time at RoaringMegs was most enjoyable.

Visited January 2014

Boston, Massachusetts
“Absolutely, without a doubt, BEST Rack of Lamb EVER!”
Reviewed January 21, 2014

I had very high expectations for this restaurant, I had heard about it for months before traveling to Queenstown. I travel with a small group of photographers and we rely on one of us to plan the trip, including the restaurants. He's been raving about this place since we first started planning.

We arrived to an upstairs location that is beautifully decorated and has the appointments of a professional yet comfortable dining room. The wait staff was prompt and friendly, very attentive and offered assistance with the menu. I didn't need assistance, I already knew I was getting the rack of lamb.

THUMP! "What was that?" I asked. The waitress explained that there's a gym and that's the sound of someone dropping a barbell or something heavy. It continued for a bit and stopped, but started up again. That was a small distraction.

Then the food arrived. First, the spinach soup, which was not spectacular but good. Then the meal arrives after a comfortable wait. We were advised to order the rack of lamb medium rare but I wanted it cooked medium and I am glad I did, it was still pink inside and was perfect. Had it been more raw I wouldn't have enjoyed it.

The presentation was simple, two small racks of three "lamb chops" mounted on a potato island, with a small sampling of sauces, one of them a mint jelly. I never liked my lamb with mint before but tonight it was perfect. The seasoning was amazing, it highlighted the incredible natural flavor of the lamb, the touch of mint jelly was also perfect.

I was very satisfied by the time my chocolate mousse arrived as dessert.

A wonderful meal and one that I wouldn't ever miss should I be in Queenstown again.

• Visited January 2014
Wanaka, New Zealand
“Good food but noise from gym was another thing”
Reviewed December 9, 2013

From the website this looked like lovely restaurant. The food was great, the service great, staff friendly and welcoming but atmopshere was lacking and we found the booming noise from the gym upstairs quite disturbing.
I chose hare and it was falling off the bone and very tasty, in a thick gravy with a bowl of mashed potato on the side. No vegies at all.

• Visited December 2013
Dunedin, New Zealand
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“First visit of many”
Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

Very good service and very friendly staff who are chatty with bags of local knowledge.
Food was top notch and could easily have passed at top restaurants in the district
Portions were not massive but enough
An enjoyable dinning experience

“Very very nice”
Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

Was friendly greeting on arrival, lovely friendly service right through evening, steak was yum and so was the Hare, will Definately be going back :-)