“Better than expected”

Britannia Restaurant
Ranked #83 of 257 Restaurants in Queenstown
Cuisines: Seafood, International
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Britannia or HMS Britannia is one of Queenstown's oldest restaurants. Established 25 years ago and is fitted out like a old sailing ship
Highvale, QLD
“Better than expected”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

The missus and I happened upon Britannia by random. We had no plans and strolled into town for dinner. My missus is impatient and if left up to her would sit down in the first restaurant we pass. Along the Mall in Queenstown there are a bunch to choose from. I am always put off with the hard sell bouncer outside ushering you in as soon as you stop to look at a menu. Quite a few places on the Mall have this including Britannia. After walking pass a few places on purpose the missus stopped at Britannia and it also caught my eye. The menu looked reasonable (although not a huge selection) and the hard sell lady on the door was handing out free drinks vouchers if we went inside. Of course the missus was sold and who am I to argue right?
Anyways inside we were impressed with the décor and was not expecting to be seated in an old ship. Its really well done and quite fun. The staff inside were very good, made us feel comfortable and really attentive. Our meals were reasonably priced and although not the best dinners ever were not bad by an stretch of the imagination. We had the Venison and Salmon. We a few beers and a group of friends this place would be a really good start to a night out.

• Visited August 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
“Loved the ship”
Reviewed July 7, 2013 via mobile

We had garlic bread to start which was what it is. Then we had the seafood platter we swapped the muscles for scallops which was no bother everything was good bar the crayfish I dont think it was a live cray out the tank as no one took one out that I saw. And if you see a live tank you expect fresh plus it was overcooked and really chewy bar that everthing was really good, for $145 just fo the platter you expect pretty high quality.

• Visited July 2013
Queenstown
“BEST LAMB RACK IN TOWN”
Reviewed May 22, 2013

The best rack of lamb in Queenstown! Great ambience and not too fussy. I like that you get a choice of vegetables or side salad included in the price of the main meal and not an add on as with so many other restaurants. Would highly recommend to locals and overseas visitors.

Visited April 2013
Perth, Australia
“These people know how to cook”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Britannia is upstairs of one of the main streets in Queenstown but once you walk up the stairs you are welcomed with what appeared to be the inside of an old wooden sailing ship. There were plenty of places to sit and have a chat without having to overhear everyone else's conversation in the restaurant. The Manager was friendly and approachable and the menu gave us plenty to choose from. I had the venison; I always worry when you order venison or kangaroo and the restaurant brings out a steak knife, this wasn't the case here. The venison was beautifully cooked and easy to cut. In fact everything we ate and drank that night was terrific. I really enjoyed the ambiance and the food. Recommend this as Alsace to eat whilst in Queenstown. Prices were not over the top.

Visited May 2013
Queenstown, New Zealand
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Needs a revamp...”
Reviewed May 1, 2013

I really wanted to love Britannia as the interior decor was amazing, but unfortunately the food was just not up to par. Compared to other Queenstown restaurants this restaurant was overpriced and the food lacked finesse. I had the 'Crow's Nest Chicken' and was really disappointed. The combination of chicken with cheese, bacon, mushroom and avocado was odd and in my opinion didn't work. I probably wont be returning to Britannia in the future as fortunately there are a lot of restaurants in Queenstown that are of a better standard.

• Visited March 2013