“Good”

@Thai - Thai Cuisine
Ranked #98 of 257 Restaurants in Queenstown
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Large groups, Dining on a budget, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
“Good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 30, 2013 via mobile

Great service, nice food, properly cooked, recommend to medium spicy people. Fast service. Geat location.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank B4Bhupati

Sydney, Australia
“Excellent Thai food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2013

The food here is top notch thai food! we had the chicken pad thai, the seafood basil and chili noodles and the papaya salad which came with chicken skewers and sticky rice. Every dish was delicious and we practically licked our plates clean!

The bill was about $60 excluding drinks so it is quite pricey for Thai (in comparison to what you would pay in Sydney) but you definitely get what you pay for.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank coleen85
Eilat, Israel
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best peanut chicken”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

The take away peanut chicken is the best I've ever tasted (lunch menu)! I have been coming here on and off for about 6 months and you can say that I am a loyal customer! Every time that I go into @Thai I am always greeted by name :) I also have recommended customers to dine there.

Some of the other meals are generously priced though.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank Ava_skelly94
Dunedin, New Zealand
“Locals Review: WORST restaurant in Queenstown”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

I have traveled a lot, had thai food all over the world, and hands down, this not only meets worst food in Queenstown but the worst Thai food I have EVER had. Pretty sure most of the good reviews on here are probably the owners. I don't know how anyone with taste buds can say this food was good. I don't usually complain about food but If I can stop someone from wasting their money and a day throwing up then its worth a try.

We expected authentic flavors, lemongrass, coconut cream, Thai vegetables and food that doesn't make you feel heavy afterwards.
We walked in and sat down. We were greeted politely but not overly hospitable like most thai restaurants. The menus were excessively big and were really awkward to hold. We read on the menu that they offer Gluten Free options and my mother was gluten free so we asked the waiter (Kenji) about this. He did not understand the concept but proceeded to give us a special gluten free menu. After a garbled speech about the different curry types we ordered the following for entree: chicken satay for myself, the papaya salad with satay sticks and sticky rice for my mother and prawn crackers to share. For main we had a seafood green curry and coconut rice (my mother) and the oyster chicken stir fry with coconut rice.

Kenji then told us that the chicken satay WASN'T gluten free because they didn't have gluten free soy sauce. So they had decided (not at our request) to give us 'extra salad' to make up for it.

The entree's came out 2 minutes after we ordered. Microwaved. Cold in the middle, hot on the outside. Prawn crackers were the good old commercial ones. The sticky rice was cooked in plastic and the taste of plastic permeated through the rice. The salad was small but had tomatoes etc in it which isn't exactly authentic thai food. Looking over this we decided to approach the main meal hoping it was better.

To even describe the coconut rice... argh. Usually coconut rice isn't SWIMMING in coconut cream. It had a huge dollop of coconut cream on the top and its consistency was comparable to rice pudding. Not what we were expecting.

The green curry lacked spice. For $25 you recieve approx 1 tbsp of fish, 1 scallop and one prawn. The rest is that fake squid you can buy. There are some frozen peas still frozen (because not microwaved properly) in the bottom.

The oyster chicken was inedible. It had more black pepper in it than any scotsman would like. It had no flavour apart from pepper. No lemongrass, no fragrance, just made me sneeze.

We then went to pay. $106?! For that? We don't mind paying that but we barely ate our food because it was so bad! Some of the dishes were priced well but the worst was that papaya salad. For a bit of salad with extra "lettuce" on the side, no chicken satay with it and plastic sticky rice they tried to charge $23!!!! The duty manager was arrogant and hostile and refused to make our experience any better by replacing our food. I suppose they couldn't if it was all precooked. The other staff had excellent customer service and were very apologetic but Kenji turned very rude and said he 'didn't care' what we thought. He did not want his bosses to know how terrible his service was. We were absolutely gobsmacked. We have never received such poor food and poor service. He gave us a $3 discount for the lack of the satay after much argument ($20 for a side plate size of salad and rice) but completely ignored our issues with the food. He commented that the food was 'fresh but frozen'. Hmm...

On the plus side they had a good cocktail list and really great prices for them. But that is about it.

Would not make the effort to eat here again. It has made us very ill and would rather make the effort to help people to avoid this.

BEWARE- AVOID.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank pennyo2506
Queenstown, New Zealand
“beautiful food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2013

great food, always a high standard very helpful friendly staff, recommend the pad thai,, one of the best places to eat in qt. will keep going back and taking our family and friends.always great service

• Visited August 2013