“romantic and elegant”

Ranked #2 of 58 Hotels in Queenstown
Auckland, New Zealand
“romantic and elegant”
Reviewed February 12, 2009

My husband and I stayed at QPH at the end of January and it was the perfect place to stay for the luxury part of our 2 week honeymoon around the south island. Donna and John were amazing hosts and did everything to welcome us and assist us on our stay in Queenstown. They recommended beautiful restaurants that we thoroughly enjoyed and made a highlight of the trip.
The hotel is a boutique hotel, so you don’t have the large number of guests and staff that other hotels have. I felt this made it more intimate and we felt like we were the only people staying there. The rooms are elegant and beautifully furnished and my husband loved the large flat screen tv at the foot of the bed.
The 5 min stroll into the centre of town was great, as we parked our rental car in the undercover parking and didn’t use it until we left (parking in the city centre, can be difficult/busy at times).
Donna made us cooked gourmet breakfasts every morning, with fresh croissants, orange juice, tea and coffee. John had canapés and wine with us in the evening before we headed off to dinner.
Our stay here was my absolute favourite hotel out of anywhere we have stayed, not just for our honeymoon. It has even made me join trip advisor to make a review, as it was another review from a honeymoon couple that made me book QPH. It isn’t the most expensive place in Queenstown or the cheapest but if you are looking for something special I would recommend it to everyone.
I didn’t want to leave and I can’t wait to return. Hopefully soon if my husband will let me :)

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed February 6, 2009

Loved everything about this hotel. The location is 5 minutes walk from town. You get peace and quiet, but are in the center of things in no time. It's fun watching the para-gliders swooping down and landing in the park right next to the hotel from the couches in the lobby, while enjoying the complimentary wine and DELICIOUS canapes offered between 6 and 7. The decor is fantastic! Hip, modern, yet warm and cozy at the same time. Oftentimes modern hotels are cold and sterile, but whoever designed this one knew how to marry edgy and cozy. The size of the hotel was perfect, where you could enjoy as much interaction as you wanted. Not too big, nor too small. John and Donna, the lovely people who run the place, are professional yet warm and friendly....you look forward to seeing them as you come and go, getting their useful advice, and chatting with them at canape hour! The high tech features in the room are fun, and they actually work (unlike some hotels!!). The breakfasts are scrumptious. I will definitely be returning to this hotel. I couldn't have been more impressed.

• Liked — size, style, warmth of staff
  • Disliked — nothing
toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 6, 2009

The hotel itself is beautiful, both architectually and in decor. Our family of four had the tower suite w/c was both stunning and comfortable! The bedrooms were decorated in a modern, elegant manner but they were also inviting and cozy. The Queenstown park is ideally located on a quiet street right at the base of the mountain. It's in easy walking distance of stores, restuarants and the waterfront. John and Donna were wonderful hosts in the true "Kiwi" sense, unobtrusive but friendly and helpful when necessary. We'd definitely go back to the Queenstown Park. It was our favorite stay in New Zealand.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed December 2008
Hong Kong
Reviewed February 2, 2009

My husband & I stayed here for 2 nights in a Remarkables Room. We found it to be a convenient & efficient place to stay as a base for the Central Otago area; the fact that it has some character was a bonus.

Our corner room was huge, with full-length windows & sliding doors opening onto a small patio; the view was unremarkable but it was nice to have so much light. There was a large amount of free space, a sitting area, & a handy hidden kitchenette with microwave, sink, fridge & burners; this setup would be great on a ski holiday or for a family. The bathroom was spacious, with a big double tub & a huge walk-in rainshower. The bed was also huge & extremely comfortable.

The service was good, with the staff efficient & quick to give tips on restaurants & things to do. One of the very nice owners was at the front desk & checked us out early in the morning. Though it feels like a small hotel (which is good if you want some anonymity), we appreciated that the owners take such personal care with the property.

The location is very convenient, a 10-minute walk to the center of town but with easy access to the main roads into/out of town, in case you're using it as a base to explore the region, as we did. We also really appreciated the garage below with free parking. I would recommend this as a nice alternative to the more expensive options in town, though it may also be a bit simpler.

• Liked — Convenient location, good room & facilities
  • Disliked — Decor a bit cold/minimalist (yes I know that's the style...)
London, England
Reviewed January 10, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the QPH right around Xmas 2008....The hotel is a 5 minute walk from the center of Queenstown and has a great feel to it...The design blends in with the natural surroundings and the hosts/owners make it feel that you are visiting a private home...There is daily wine tasting and canapes before dinner and they even bring in local winemakers to interact with the guests...We had a gondola facing room...It had very nice, modern finishings with all the amenities you could want...The only negatives that I could mention is that the room is a tad small and there are no slippers in the room (I am being picky)...Queenstown was by far the most expensive place we visited in NZ but the QPH provided very good value for money (especially in comparison with the Spire hotel which is almost double the cost and is right in the middle of town)...The owners made sure we had all of our questions answered about excursions and restaurants and were always there to help...All in all, QPH is a very cool place to stay in a great corner of the world

• Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed January 5, 2009

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Queenstown Park Hotel. It is in a great location that is close to the activities and restaurants of Queenstown, without having any of the associated noise (approximately 5 minute walk to all of the best restaurants and activities in Queenstown). The owners / hosts John and Donna do everything possible to make you feel at home during your stay. This is definitely a boutique hotel with approximately 15 rooms, which is exactly what we were looking for during our stay. The hotel is approximately 1 year old and the decor / furnishings are contemporary and very comfortable. The only person that I would not recommend this hotel to, is someone looking for a dramatic lake view of Lake Wakatipu, but you definitely aren't paying for that, and if quality and comfort are important to you, I believe this is the best option in Queenstown, barring what I mentioned above about the view.

• Liked — location, room quality, service
  • Disliked — view
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled as a couple
Odessa, Ukraine
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,547 helpful votes
Reviewed December 31, 2008

Queenstown Park Hotel is for sure one of the nicest Boutique Hotels in NZ. Only 12 month old it personal service at its best. The managers, Donna and John, give the hotel a very personal touch - which is quite unique for a hotel. Any wish, any problem, any desire: they'll do everything to get it done.

The location near the city is nice, the rooms of adequate size, clean, the style according to "W" (Starwood) standards and the bed very good - just what you would expect of a 5* room.

Internet (free - same as car park) works great and if you don't have your own notebook with you you can borrow one of the hotel.

Breakfast is really nice and I can definitelly recommend the Eggs Benedict.

When in Queenstown I mustn't stay at Queenstown Park Hotel - but I definitelly would stay "@ John & Donna's". ;-)

2 Thank HONkiev