“Spectacular and Magical Experience”
Review of Air Milford

and up
Half-Day Milford Sound Flight and Cruise from Queenstown
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Air Milford is a family owned and operated business based in Queenstown, New Zealand, specialising in personalised sightseeing excursions for visitors who want to experience the very best tours of Queenstown and the South Island of New Zealand. Air Milford purposefully remains a mid-size New Zealand tourism business. This allows the company to stay committed and focused on offering its guests exclusive, niche sightseeing tours of the Queenstown, Fiordland and South Island regions. Air Milford is a tour company - not a transport company. The Air Milford team have an intimate knowledge of the scenic wonders of Fiordland, Milford Sound, Doubtful Sound, Mount Cook and the Queenstown region. The 'hands on' tours take in magnificent fiords, New Zealand native forests and glaciers. Guests will be introduced to New Zealand's stunning native birds, seals, penguins and dolphins. Our modern aircraft are meticulously maintained and we are proud to have achieved one of the Civil Aviation Authority's (CAA) highest audit ratings for operations and safety.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase
Reviewed October 13, 2013

We paired the flight with a cruise on MIlford Sound, so got to fly both on an outbound and return flight. For what you see and get, this is an amazing buy well worth the price.

Having flown around many beautiful mountains and canyons in the world, I thought I was jaded and that I had already seen the best of the best. I was clearly wrong.

After waiting for 3 days for the weather to clear (and I appreciate the fact that Air Milford will not fly if they believe their clients will be disappointed in the flight) we took off on a Spring day. From the beginning of the take off, the views improved with each passing minute; I thought surely it could not get any better, but sight after spectacular sight left me speechless that such mountains were possible. Immense jagged peaks sparkling white into infinity. Suspended lakes high in the mountains with massive waterfalls plunging to green shangri-la valleys that would look impossible if painted. Fjords by the sea walled by mountains thousands of feet high and waterfalls plunging into the sea.

Matt, our courteous and professional pilot gave a narrative pointing out the Misty Mountains (of Lord of the Rings fame), the highest waterfall in New Zealand, the famous mountain peaks, but the overwhelming scenery speaks for itself.

We found out afterwards from other tourists that some flight companies have better safety records than others, and that Air Milford has one of the best. The plane was modern, comfortable, clean and quiet compared to other private planes I have flown in elsewhere.

Upon reviewing my photos when I returned to the hotel, I realized like many that this is an experience you cannot capture on film. This is a world class experience that is essential for you to do if you can when you come to new Zealand.

(NOTE: I wish someone had warned me about the stinging flies in Milford Sound; I would have worn repellent!!).

6  Thank ScottN
Airmilford, Pilot at Air Milford, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

Wow, thank you very much for such a fantasic review. It was great that you were able to go when the weather cleared. We all really enjoy showing people around our beautiful part of the world. I am glad it was such a highlight of your trip and maybe you will come and visit us again some day.
Next time we will have some insect repellent for you.

Kind regards
Matt Cameron

Write a ReviewReviews (1,035)
All reviews
in 30 reviews
"tasman sea"
in 19 reviews

Reviewed October 2, 2013

Thank you to our pilot Matt, Anthony and everyone else at Air Milford for an amazing day on Monday. The weather was beautiful and the scenery during our trip, in the comfortable Cessna Caravan plane, was simply stunning. It was great to feel like we were being flown by experienced hands as we flew through the mountains. Matt was really friendly and great at pointing out the sights as we passed by and warning us when we may have to expect any little bumps. We also had time for a short nature walk before we boarded the Southern Discoveries boat where we say seals and even a penguin. This was the best way to see Milford Sound from Queenstown, a highlight of my time in New Zealand and an experience i will remember for a very long time. Thanks guys!

1  Thank HenriateaFord
Airmilford, Front Office Manager at Air Milford, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2013

Hi Henri,

Thank you for leaving us with such a neat description of your Milford Sound Fly/Cruise/Fly. Africa has its ‘big 5’ in their game parks, and Milford Sounds big 3 include dolphins, seals & penguins so to get 2/3 is pretty awesome! We are really pleased to hear this was your trip highlight – thanks again for choosing to share it with us.
Yours kindly,
Antony @ Air Milford

Reviewed October 1, 2013

Thank you to Antony and especially pilot Mat for a very memorable day on Sunday, flying to Milford Sound and back, in your "pride of the fleet", Cessna Caravan. For those like myself and a couple of our kids, the thought of flying even in a 14 seater is beyond comprehension but all the emails to and from Antony were so reassuring and then there's Captain Mat, legend pilot and all round nice guy. Not once did he make fun of my nerves, offered for me to sit up front with him (my husband did, lets call him "Maverick") and I actually managed to listen to his constant banter about "Lord of the Rings" and other scenic spots below us...or in fact right beside us, at times. Much to my children's horror I gave him a kiss for bringing us home so smoothly and safely, I didn't quite do the Pope thing and kiss the ground. Calling all scaredy cats do it, do it, do it, it is amazing and the ONLY way to get to Milford sound, you see the winding roads below and go, yep I'm glad I'm on this plane for one hour (total time) and not 8 hours on a bus. You can have complete confidence in Air Milford. Thank you guys. Susie McDonald, Sydney.

1  Thank sydneyfam

Dear Susie & John,
The review you’ve posted for us is something pretty special, and for this we wish to express our sincere thanks. We are of course flattered with your kind comments toward our staff, although I think Matt is expecting a starring role in Top Gun 2 now as a result of your compliments! On the topic of humour, I’d like to highlight how you describe the atmosphere we aim to achieve. Of course we take passenger safety as our #1 priority, all the while picking up on guest apprehension/anxiety and trying to make the climate as relaxing as possible – even if that means putting up with a few of our cliché flying jokes!
On behalf of Matt, Antony & the Air Milford team, it was a real pleasure dealing with your family from ‘woe to go’. We look forward to having you back up in the blue yonder sometime soon.
Yours Sincerely

Reviewed September 30, 2013

After postponing our trip from the day before due to it being dicey whether we could fly as well as do the milford Cruise before bad weather set in, we woke and rang to receive the weather and flying update from the team at Air Milford and thankfully we got the go ahead. We appreciated the patience of the team at Air Milford when we made the call to delay the day before. Let's face it, it is a once in a lifetime opportunity for many people and we really wanted to so the cruise and not be pressured about flying back.

We arrived at the hanger for the 9:45am flight and boarded the Cesna (14 seater).

Matt our pilot was great, so experienced and he was extremely informative about the brilliant scenery we flew over, it was especially amazing flying through the peaks of two mountains just before our approach to the Milford Sound airport. The plane was so smooth, even when Matt said prepare for some bumps, they were little, the team obviously take a conservative approach.

After landing we made the 10 minute walk to the dock to board our boat. Again the scenery on the boat was absolutely breathtaking, everywhere we looked there was something incredible.

And finally the trip back to Queenstown airport was brilliant and we felt perfectly safe on the flights. It is undoubtedly the best way to visit Milford Sound.

Thank you.

2  Thank HtimsNhoj
Airmilford, Front Office Manager at Air Milford, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

Dear Guest,

On behalf of your pilot, Matt, I would like to express our sincere gratitude for the thorough review. Unfortunately we are in the grips of a typical spring-time weather pattern, where postponing for one or more days is not uncommon. The patience of our clients in these situations is equally as impressive. The key here is booking on your first available day in Queenstown. Most activities can be arranged around a Milford Sound ½ day excursion, which as you describe is a ‘must do’ activity!
Once again, thank you for taking the time to describe your Air Milford experience. We are so pleased you got to witness Milford on a stunning day, and that the trip was nothing short of ‘perfect’ to quote from your own words.

Faithfully,