“Most amazing views with one of the most skilled pilots I've flown with.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Air Milford

and up
Half-Day Milford Sound Flight and Cruise from Queenstown
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Air Milford is a family owned and operated business based in Queenstown, New Zealand, specialising in personalised sightseeing excursions for visitors who want to experience the very best tours of Queenstown and the South Island of New Zealand. Air Milford purposefully remains a mid-size New Zealand tourism business. This allows the company to stay committed and focused on offering its guests exclusive, niche sightseeing tours of the Queenstown, Fiordland and South Island regions. Air Milford is a tour company - not a transport company. The Air Milford team have an intimate knowledge of the scenic wonders of Fiordland, Milford Sound, Doubtful Sound, Mount Cook and the Queenstown region. The 'hands on' tours take in magnificent fiords, New Zealand native forests and glaciers. Guests will be introduced to New Zealand's stunning native birds, seals, penguins and dolphins. Our modern aircraft are meticulously maintained and we are proud to have achieved one of the Civil Aviation Authority's (CAA) highest audit ratings for operations and safety.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities
Auckland, New Zealand
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Most amazing views with one of the most skilled pilots I've flown with.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

Had an awesome day sightseeing with air Milford. Hank and his son Anthony were more than welcoming on our arrival.
We landed into queenstown at 9am and they were happy for us to store our bags and showed us to the nearest coffee place.
We flew on a nice big Cessna caravan which was very comfortable and everyone got great views as we took off over queenstown.
Hanks skills as a pilot were amazing and we got close to some beautiful sites on our way to Milford.
We decended through the fjord and got a great aerial view of what we were about see on the boat.
The boat trip was great through the Milford sound but unfortunately the weather came in so we couldn't see the tops of the fjords and mitre peak. But it was still breathtaking.
It was an awesome day out and I would highly recommend this to anyone wanting to go to Milford sound, it is much quicker and comfortable than the 5 hour bus ride option. The crew were awesome and friendly too, real down to earth kiwis.
Thanks again air Milford. Would love to come back and do it again some time.

Jamie

Visited April 2013
2 Thank Jamie C
Airmilford, Front Office Manager at Air Milford, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Hi Jamie,
We take great pleasure in reading your recent TripAdvisor review – your comments about Hank are especially flattering, but very inspiring for the rest of our team as he sets the standard high for us to follow!
It’s always a bonus to fly guests who work within the aviation industry – we wish you and Amy all the best in your airline careers and look forward to the chance of flying with you again.
From the Air Milford Team.

• Korean first
San Francisco, CA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Wonderful Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

I flew with Milford Air back in January and had an amazing experience.  I think it's particularly important that I write this review because I was terrified initially.   I was vacationing with my husband and about 30 of his classmates and a surprise trip to Milford Sound had been planned.  I didn't want to sit out and miss such an incredible opportunity, but I also didn't sleep well the night before.  While I travel continuously for business, I'm a nervous flier and wasn't thrilled about taking a small airplane over mountains.  Hank noticed right away and put me in the "prime" seat diagonally behind himself.

What I quickly learned is that the ONLY way to fly over these mountains was in a small aircraft. The ride was incredibly beautiful. We "took the long way" and flew by close by phenomenal glaciers, waterfalls and vistas.  During the flight Hank explained what was happening and why and continually checked on me while giving the entire plane an amazing show.  Both legs of the flight were phenomenal
and I thank Hank for making me feel more comfortable so I could take in the sights.

This is a MUST do and an experience of a lifetime.  Even if you're not keen on small aircraft.

Thank you again, Air Milford!

Visited January 2013
2 Thank ssdpalm
Airmilford, Front Office Manager at Air Milford, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear Guest,
On behalf of Hank & his Air Milford team, we wish to express our thanks for your review. It is so rewarding to hear that we eased your anxiety of flying in small aircraft – for us it’s all part of the job but to witness how much this meant to you gives us great pleasure. I hope this is just the beginning of many more positive scenic flight experiences for you.
Kindest regards,
Gisborne, New Zealand
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“exceeded all expectations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

Our flight to Milford sounds with Air Milford was the highlight of our trip to Queenstown.
We could not have asked for a more perfect day. The flight was magnificent with spectacular views. We were well looked after by our pilot who did an awesome job showing us the breathtaking scenery. A must do in Queenstown!
Thank you Milford Air for a fabulous day,

Visited April 2013
1 Thank VeronicaMcClunie
Hi Veronica,
Many thanks for your Air Milford review. It is great to hear that we are looking after our kiwi friends too, and the far south of Aotearoa still manages to impress with its scenery.
We look forward to hosting you or your friends sometime again soon.
Tipperary
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Breathtaking and memorable flight to Milford Sound with Air Milford”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

We were too tired to get up for the bus to Milford and decided to take a return flight with Air Milford - a great choice. Collected from our hotel we had the most stunning flight. Through picturesque valleys, over majestic mountains, close-ups of glaciers and views of beautiful lakes and waterfalls. Milford itself is majestic and a must see in New Zealand. Unfortunately we had to fore go the cruise of the sound because the weather was threatening to close in and a reduction was applied. Overall this was a memorable experience and well worth the money. I can thoroughly recommend it as an unforgettable experience.

Visited March 2013
Dear Air Milford Traveller,
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your review. We are the first to recognise how the weather can influence your holiday, and the consequent disappointment when the weather intervenes your itinerary. Speaking from experience it is the flight portion of this combination tour that leaves guests mesmerized, which you have described so well.
Thanks again for taking the time to share your Air Milford flight.
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Wow! spectacular flight”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

We took a bus from Queenstown to Milford Sound, it was a 4 + hour ride, but well worth it, see our review of Milford Sound Select. Our driver, Lester, suggested an option of flying back to Queestown, it was an incredibly beautiful day and we opted for him to make our arrangements.
It was an excellent decision, the 1 hour trip over the "Southern Alps" was breath taking. It was a small plane and everyone had a window seat. If you have the opportunity, and the weather cooperates, do it, you will not be disappointed, and you get back to Queenstown in plenty of time for dinner!

Visited February 2013
Dear Guest,
Thanks for your review of our Milford Sound ‘Fly Back’ tour. We also appreciate sharing some of your trip photographs – the shot of Milford Sound through the window of the Cessna Caravan is as iconic as they come and proves how spectacular the day of your trip was.
On behalf of Air Milford, we extend our warmest thanks for your comments.