“Fantastic Location Great Accommodation”

Peppers Beacon Queenstown
Ranked #30 of 57 Hotels in Queenstown
sydney
“Fantastic Location Great Accommodation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

We stayed at Peppers Beacon for a week in August. Travelling as a family of 6 we stayed in the 3 bedroom a lakefront room, which cost a bit more than the regular rooms, but was well worth the extra expense. Our room had a huge expanse of windows that looked out on Lake Wakatipu. We could see the Remarkables mountains and the old steamer ship and could have looked out on our view forever.

Location wise the Hotel is perfect. easy access to al the slopes by either car or group coach. Queenstown centre is a very easy 5 min walk with plenty of options for dining out and shopping.

The room came with a full kitchen, a washer and dryer, a seating area, and a dining table. It was so convenient to have the facilities there. We got breakfast food in town and were able to wash our clothes. added bonus was a prvate spa on our balcony which we used most nights after a hard days on the ski slopes.

Staff were lovely and there were some special little extras like fresh bread baking in our room on arrival and espresoo coffee machine.

We all highly enjoyed our stay at Peppers Beacon and would book there again in a second the next time we're in Queenstown.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Justin C, General Manager at Peppers Beacon Queenstown, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Kia ora Jane L,

Many thanks for your feedback regading your stay with us at Peppers Beacon. We certainly appreciate any and all feedback and I am absolutely delighted that you and your entire family had a fantastic time with us. I have ensured that your feedback has been shared across our entire team as a reminder of how quality service and product levels can leave a guest with such positive memories.

Once again Jane L, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to you returning to Queenstown and Peppers Beacon some time in the future.

Justin Cave

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013 via mobile

We booked a lake view suite and were upgraded to the penthouse which had a movie room and a hot tub. The staff were lovely (especially Daniel) and the rooms were very nice. It's a great location in Queenstown. The only negative was the breakfast which was buffet but very greasy and in a small room with no windows.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Kia ora sarahausti,

Thank you for taking the time to post feedback regarding your recent visit to Queenstown and Peppers Beacon. It gives my team and I great pleasure to read such positive feedback as we strive to deliver a quality experience for all of our guests. I also appreciate your feedback regarding the breakfast and whilst we are somewhat restricted with the size and location of the room, we continue to work on improving the ambience as well as the quality of the food on the buffet. I have passed your feedback on to our kitchen staff and we will continue to monitor the consistency of our food offerings into the future.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we hope to see you again in the future.

Brisbane
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2013

I usually love Peppers Hotels and have stayed at many in and around Australia. The welcome at the Queenstown Peppers was a little luke warm and throughout the stay it seemed the staff had better places to be (presumably up the mountain). One or two staff, one lady on reception and the lady who served breakfast were a welcome exception to the rule. The beds had soft, lumpy mattresses which was also disappointing. That said, the rooms are well appointed and with a great view and for the price it is definitely worth a look, just don't expect the usual Peppers excellence.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Kia ora Kate14478,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding your visit to Peppers Beacon. I was pleased to read that you found our rooms are well appointed with great views, however naturally I am disappointed that our service levels did not meet your expectations nor live up to your previous experiences with Peppers in Australia. We continue to strive for improvements in our business and certainly your feedback has been provided to our team and the importance of professional and couteous service to all who visit our property has been re-inforced. I was also disappointed to read about your dissatisfaction with our beds. We will certainly be keeping this in mind as we plan the next round of upgrades to the apartments.

Once again Kate14478, I very much appreciate your feedback and would certainly welcome the opportunity to discuss any further feedback with you directly.

Port Hedland, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

We had a wonderful stay at Peppers Beacon. Fantastic location close to Queenstown city centre. Amazing views from our 1 bedroom apartment. Fantastic self contained kitchen and comfortable lounge and dining area where we could enjoy the view through the wrap around class windows. Breakfast in the hotel was one of the best I had in Queenstown. The hotel staff were friendly and eager to help. The only area I would comment on in a less positive light are the hard, old, lumpy beds. If I was to return, I would go out and buy an overlay to increase the comfort. The rest of our stay was perfect though, so I wouldn't hesitate to return!

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank taznmax
Justin C, General Manager at Peppers Beacon Queenstown, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Kia ora taznmax

I am so pleased that you thoroughly enjoyed your visit to Peppers Beacon and that your one bedroom aparrtment and the magnificent views met your expectations. I was also pleased to read that you enjoyed breakfast in The Galley. In recent months we have been working hard to improve on the overall breakfast experience and I am pleased that we have received such positive feedback from you.

Please accept my apologies for the bed not being to your satisfaction. We continue to strive for improvements and upgrades to our rooms and we are fortunate that our apartment owners are committed to achieving this. We will most certainly provide your feedback to the owners and will work with them on the rolling refurbishment of the rooms, including the beds.

Thank you very much taznmax for your kind feedback, and we do hope that we get the opportunity to welcome you back to Peppers Beacon in the not too distant future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in peppers beacon for 4 nights in mid July and found it to be extremely comfortable, modern and clean. It was reasonably priced and the staff were a pleasure to deal with. Underground parking was very handy, due to the good location we did not need our car for the few days. Spectacular scenery over the lake every morning when we opened our curtains. Unfortunately one night our sleep was disturbed by a late night party (3.30 in the morning!!) in the overlooking apartments to the rear, in fairness the staff managed to quietened things down quick enough. A great place to stay at any time, especially in the summer when the open area on level 5 could be used for BBQ's etc.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ronan K
Kia ora Ronan K

I would like to extend my sincere thank you for your feedback regarding your recent visit to Peppers Beacon. Queenstown is such a spectacular place to visit and it is so nice to hear that you were able to enjoy the sensational views of Lake Wakatipu and The Remarkables every day.

Please accept my apologies for the late night disturbance. We do all possible to ensure all our guests have a peaceful and comfortable stay, however whilst these particular guests showed a lack of consideration for others, I was pleased that our Night Manager was able to swiftly shut the party down.

We look forward to you one day returning to Queenstown to experience more of the many year round attractions and hope to see you again in the future at Peppers Beacon.

Ararat, Victoria, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

We travelled as a family (2 adults, 2 teenagers) and booked a 2 bedroom garden view room. Upon arrival we were advised we had been upgraded to a Lake View room which was a nice surprise. Trying to park the car initially was difficult as there was limited space in the car park that is accessed at the front of the building and staff had neglected to inform us of the additional car park accessed from a back street but once we got that sorted it was fine. Upon entering our room we were greeted with the most beautiful view!! We were on level 2 and had floor to ceiling windows looking over the lake and snow capped peaks. STUNNING!! The apartment was a perfect layout with the kids sharing a bedroom and bathroom to themselves and my husband and I having a bedroom and bathroom to ourselves so we were able to have our own space. We had an awesome big lounge that was perfect for curling up on in front of the fireplace and reading a book or just enjoying the view. The kitchen facilites in our apartment were excellent and we also had a clothes washer and dryer in our room. Very convenient. I only have one disappointment and unfortunatley this was a common theme in New Zealand. Wifi acces!! This is very expensive. Whenever we holiday in Australia and Bali it is very common for Wifi access to be included in the price of the hotel but not the case in New Zealand. Having 2 teenagers this was annoying as they wanted to share photo's and stories with their friends back home. We ended up purchasing a pre-paid NZ sim and sharing the 2gb data over the course of the week. This worked for us but we would like to see NZ hotels embrace a better and affordable wifi system. Aside from that though, we had an amazing holiday and would definitely stay at Peppers again as the staff were friendly and the apartment was wonderful!!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Simone S
Dear Simone S

Many thanks for your very kind feedback regarding your stay with us at Peppers Beacon in Queenstown. It does give us a true sense of satisfaction when we read or hear of such positive experiences and as with all feedback we receive, I will ensure that yours is shared with our team.

We are very fortunate to have our property situated in such a prime location and we continue to strive for improvements and upgrades to our rooms, facilities and service. We have recently extended our wifi coverage to now cover the entire resort and will continue to work with our service provider to further enhance the overall guest experience in the future. One short term solution is the recent provision of complimentary internet kiosks for our guests. Whilst it is not as convenient at wifi, we do hope that this is received as a small gesture and provides some complimentary connectivity whilst on holidays.

Once again Simone S, thank you for your lovely feedback and should you ever visit Queenstown again in the future, we would love to welcome you and your family back to Peppers Beacon.

Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

Let me start by stating the amount i paid for 2 nights in the Penthouse. $1,480. We were down there on the 26th and 27th of july 2013. While we have stayed in quite a few 5 star hotels over the years, not one has cost me as much as what i outlayed for Peppers Beacon, Queenstown. The payment was made in full 3 plus weeks in advance of our arrival. We were heading down there to celebrate my 40th Birthday hence why we booked the Penthouse. Since it was our first trip to Queenstown, clearly we were not familiar with the transportation side of things. I called Peppers asking if they had a shuttle service that could uplift us from the Airport upon our arrival. The receptionist was somewhat helpful and conveyed it was not a issue. After confirming details or arrival, names and bookings with the Hotel, she then stated at the end of the conversation it would be $24 each. Now i would agree that $48 is not the end of the world. I am not a snob who expects everyone to bow to me or kiss my feet. But i did think it was a little rich not providing a shuttle service free of charge taking into account the monies outlayed for 2 nights. So that wasn't the best start for my 40th or what i now began thinking about where we would be staying.
Upon our arrival at the hotel the greeting was professional and courteous. Though we did arrive early, we were instructed the room would'nt be ready until 2pm. this was fine so we dropped our bags at reception and hit the streets around Queenstown. We received a call from reception just before 2pm stating the room was ready, excellent communication. Once at our penthouse we checked the room over and would say it was of a good standard. It was what we wanted. The Spa was lovely, preset at 41.5 which did feel a little too on the hot side. We tried turning it down but without success. On Friday night we decided to order in as we were a bit peckish. We ordered a Pizza and wedges which were unfortunately absolutely terrible. We had one slice of pizza each and put it in the fridge not to be touched again. The wedges appeared to of had rotten parts of the potato still attached. They also got thrown out. That "meal" which was'nt eaten cost us $55. We obviously didn't order food from there again during our stay. On Saturday morning we departed our room at approx 8am. We returned at approx 2.15pm to find the room had not been serviced. There was no fresh towels, or coffee and the beds were still unmade. Normally the thought of someone i don't know touching my bed is scary, but due to the "Penthouse" accomadation and price i did think this would of been taken care of smartly. We had to call room service and advise it had not been done. They apologised and said they would send someone up shortly, which they did approx 10min later. While we were waiting we decided to put on some music as the penthouse suite has a system which has speakers in the bedrooms, lounge, dinning area and even outside on the wrap around balcony. It does'nt work. I advised the staff of this problem and they said they would send someone up. A short time later another staff member arrived, i explained the problem, he had a look at it and said the system is about 5 years old and he could'nt figure out the problem but would contact another staff member to come and have a look. All we wanted was for the system to work so we could have a few drinks and listen to the radio through this system. the other staff member arrived and after spending about 15min having a look at it, also stated it was a older system and he could'nt fix it. While he was extremely helpful in every way, we ended up with a "Warehouse" $60 mini system. It was a joke and yes i have photos simply because of what should of worked, compared to what we got..it's funny.
On our departure on Sunday morning there was no mention from staff of how was your stay/did you enjoy your stay/was it to your liking etc. Nothing at all. When we got on the plane to head home, my partner advised me she had sent a email to peppers weeks in advance advising them that it was my 40th and could something be arranged to have a simple acknowledgement of this day, she never heard back from them. Im afraid Peppers staying in the Penthouse was a let down. While the room was nice, the service left a lot to be desired.
Would i pay that amount again at a Mantra/Peppers establishment...im afraid not.

Room Tip: Look around very carefully if your spending considerable money.