“Excellent B & B”

Larch Hill Homestay Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #9 of 43 Queenstown B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 11, 2012

Stayed 3 nights at Larch Hill. Lesley and Chris made us very welcome. Their lovely house has great views across the lake to the mountains beyond. Our room was first-class with a small en-suite. They served a great breakfast with home made bread and endless cups of tea. They were very knowledgeable about the local area and attactions and booked a trip to MIlford Sound on our behalf, even getting the weather right on the day we went! A great B & B; highly recommended.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Larch Hill Homestay Bed and Breakfast

Reviewed February 11, 2012

Larch Hill was our first stay of our month-long holiday in NZ, being the first, I deliberately investigated and weighed up our options before booking - after such long flights, it certainly made sense to stay somewhere we;d be comfortable. Even before we started our holiday (with emails that passed between us) I knew I'd made the right choice. Lesley and Chris are such good hostess and hosts, not pushy, but there with advice (and many maps) when you needed them.

Being in the middle of our life, cleanliness, comfort and service comes high on our list of needs and Larch Hill certainly delivered in buckets. I can't pretend that, having got to Queenstown that there didn't appear to be many more properties that could also deliver, some were nearer to "the action" of central Queenstown, but Larch Hill was only a £7 taxi ride away should both of us fancy a drink and going on the recommendations of my fellow Trip Advisors doesn't usually lead me astray and this stay was as we expected.
I could write poetry about the views from both our bedroom and the common / breakfast area - in four days I may have bored of Queenstown in general but I'd never have bored with those views, nor the quality of Larch Hill and Lesleys wonderful breakfasts. Mrs ChrisR200 and I loved the place and would go back in the blink of an eye.

If I was being picky, my only negative comment would be about the access to the house from the two parking areas - to haul suitcases either up or down the access steps is a difficult ask, especially when you are weiry from travel and jet-lagged, but to get the views you need the property on a hill and to be fair we were offered help both in and out so for people less able than ourselves I;d just advise arrival and departure to be arranged while Chris is around.

We thank Larch Hill for giving our holiday such a fantastic start - the only problem was would the accomodations for the following 23 nights be able to match up.

Room Tip: Book early
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ChrisR200
Reviewed November 4, 2011

Spent four nights at Larch Hill, and wished we had stayed in Queenstown longer so much to do and see. From Larch Hill you can either drive in to Queenstown or take a nice stroll along the lake into town. Fab views from the room of the Lake and the Remarkables.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 18, 2011

We made a quick visit to Queenstown with two other couples and had a delightful evening with charming hosts Lesley and Chris. The hospitality is first class, the view of the Remarkables are, and the home made bread and coffee for breakfast are as well. I will stay at the Larch B&B when ever I return to this part of New Zealand, and recommend it for anyone looking for a great place to stay close to town with easy access to skiiing and jumping off bridges.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rsouviney
Reviewed December 18, 2010

We recently stayed at the Larch Hill Bed and Breakfast for a week in Queenstown. My family, incuding our two year old son was welcomed by Leslie and Chris who were fantastic hosts. Nothing was too much trouble and they made sure that our time in Queenstown was memorable. The breakfast included the nicest home made bread you will ever taste and we were certainly not hungry when we finished.

The view from our room was magical and we will never forget our time there. Leslie and Chris really added to our New Zealand experience and my son doesn't stop talking about them. I would recommend Larch Hill to anyone wanting a comfortable and homely stay in Queenstown.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 22, 2010

We stayed in Larch Hill in honeymoon, but my husband catch the flu! I was very scared, we have a journey booked from Italy, but Lesley and Chris were very kind with me, take me to the chemist and to the duty doctor, and calm down me.
After, in the afternoon, I was in the dining room to read a book. I think that the lake view from Larch Hill is the best view in New Zealand! The breakfast is very good, and there is the bus for the city centre.
Our experience, except for the flu, was great, I think that host's kindness is very important.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ornitorinco76
Reviewed April 3, 2010

The pros - stunning views over the water, decent breakfast and good hosts.

The cons - vehicular access to some rooms is difficult and the smallest room is indeed tiny.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
LarchHill, Owner/Operator at Larch Hill Homestay Bed and Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2010

We're delighted to report that the excess gravel chips on our resealed driveway have finally been removed by the contractor, so our driveway is now much easier to drive on.

We are very fortunate at Larch Hill B&B to have a range of rooms (all with great views) to suit different budgets and sleeping arrangements and which are well-represented on our website.