“Excellent, excellent, excellent” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #41 of 57 Hotels in Queenstown
Lismore, Australia
“Excellent, excellent, excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

Where does one start. The reception staff were very helpful which makes a very good first impression. The apartment was spacious and very comfortable, with modern facilities. Staff were very attentive and accommodating, responding to requests almost immediately. The view from the apartment was stunning, the restaurant excellent, and the reading area by the log fire a great place to relax when the weather outside was not so good. Queenstown CBD only a three minute drive and the airport about 10. This place has everything to keep you very comfortable for a multi-day stay. Highly recommended.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Rilee0211
AaronJeffrey, General Manager at Oaks Shores, responded to this review, October 6, 2013
Thankyou for your comments. I am delighted you enjoyed you stay with us. I appreciate your recommendation and hope that you have an opportunity to return to Queenstown and holiday with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful aspect and views over the lake in our very large 2 bedroom apartment. Very clean and well serviced every day. Our children enjoyed the stay also. The reception staff were very helpful. Close to town, but far enough out of town to be peaceful

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Michael G
Aaron J, General Manager at Oaks Shores, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Kia Ora! Thankyou for sharing your experience. I am very pleased to hear that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. I hope you have the opportunity to return to Queenstown and stay with us again.
Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

We stayed at Oaks Shores for four nights in September in a one bedroom apartment. We were on level Ten (top level but no road noise whatsoever) the apartment was very spacious, full kitchen and laundry, lovely lounge area with gas fire place (which was used a lot!) and a lovely big balcony with stunning views of The Remarkable's & the lake.

Nice big comfortable king bed but the room was let down because of the lack of space. The bed takes up 90% of the room enough to walk around but there was very little wardrobe space and no draws at all so our suitcases had to be out all the time and made the room a little squashy. The bathroom was also very small but the shower was terrific!

Its about a 20min walk along the path into town which we did once, the bus stops almost right outside and its only a $6 return trip. We also had a car so used it most of the time. I actually liked the location being a little out of town, we weren't there to party it was a relaxing holiday for two, so it made for a great base for all our activities. The weather was pretty ordinary at times so it was great to have somewhere to spread out and watch the storms come in!

I'd have no hesitation is returning to Oakes Shores.

Room Tip: Level 10 is the top level and basically road level. We had great views and no noise at all I can re...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Aaron J, Manager at Oaks Shores, responded to this review, September 30, 2013
Hello and thankyou for your comments. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us! I agree the one bedroom apartments are spacious and have all the inclusions you need to relax, including a balcony with stunning views. The fireplace is a real treat in winter. The storage options are being considered as part of the property refurbishment. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

When researching accommodation for our Queenstown holiday I found mixed reviews about the Oaks Shores. There also seemed to be a lot of people unhappy about the room servicing and wi-fi availability. Our stay and experience was nothing short of PERFECT. Upon arrival our check-in was dealt with professionally and promptly and we were directed to our 2 bedroom lakeview apartment which the staff had pre-warmed for us with the fantastic remote controlled gas fireplace ready for our arrival. It's not often that the room looks as good in real life as it does in the photos on the internet but this was one of those occasions. The room was beautifully appointed, with a full kitchen (including full size fridge, microwave gas cook top and electric oven) the lounge and dining area was extremely spacious and oh that view could you ever get tired of sitting on the amazingly comfy lounge and looking across the lake at the snow capped Remarkables?? The bedrooms both had en-suites with under floor heating (just a tip - this needs to be turned on at the switch behind the bathroom door - we didn't realise this until a few days into our stay). We stayed for 7 days and our room was serviced daily, with rubbish removed, beds made and dish washing supplies and laundry detergent replenished each day and our bed linen was changed mid stay. We had a hire car so the location was perfect for us, the Oaks is on the main road (no audible traffic noise) about halfway between Queenstown and the airport/Remarkables Park shopping village. Parking is free at the hotel and yes the car parks are a little on the narrow side but no worse than most shopping centre car parks.The hotel also offers a free hourly shuttle service for guests into Queenstown and return. As for the issue of wi-fi access; if you need or want to be connected to the internet 24/7 this is not the place for you. However if like us you want a family holiday where you disconnect from all the interruptions of day to day life and connect with each other, it won't be a problem. We found the 30mins free per day (which seemed to equate to 30 mins per device per 24 hours) plenty to sort out internet banking and check out snow reports etc. The one day we did run out of time the staff at reception were only too happy to look up the snow report and print this out for us. WIth regards to the staff, without exception they were all extremely friendly and helpful, from the staff at reception to the cleaning staff we encountered in the carpark and lifts. We would like to especially thank Kal at reception who was extremely helpful in booking tours for us and to Dave the shuttle bus driver who even did a special run into Queenstown for us on our last night to ensure that we could make our dinner reservation on time. We will be singing the praises of Oaks Shores to anyone we know traveling to Queenstown and would definitely stay again ourselves.

Room Tip: Book a lakeview room the view is worth every single cent!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hello and thankyou for sharing your experience. I am thrilled that you enjoyed your stay with us. The fireplaces in the lakeview apartments are wonderful, particularly in winter. The views are extraordinary. Thankyou for your appreciation of our team, Kal and Dave in particular. I have shared your comments with them. I am grateful for your recommendation and we would be very happy to welcome you back next time you visit Queenstown!
Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

This was the second time we have stayed at the Oaks in Queenstown and wow has it changed. The first time was back in 2006 and we couldn't fault the place, this time was in August this year and it was nothing short of horrible. My husband myself and our two small girls had arrived at about 7.00pm and stayed in a 2 bedroom lake view apartment . When we arrived the bedsheets hadn't been changed. We rang reception and asked if some new sheets could be brought up (we would change the sheets ourselves) because we didn't want to have to sleep in dirty sheets. I was told by the person at reception and I quote "it would be too much of a headache for housekeeping if we did that" I was so shocked I hung up the phone. That should have been an indication to leave. The following day we went out to do some sightseeing and when we got back our sheets had been changed. Great! but when I pulled back the covers to make sure that they had in fact been changed and not just made up there was 3 drops of blood on the sheets (please see pics). By this time we were furious. So we called for the manager Paul to come up and he also brought the head house cleaner with him. They were looking at each other both shocked as to what they were seeing. We also pointed out numerous other problems such as (please see pictures) stains all over the pillows and doona cover, the blind near the sink stained with old food or coffee? hair in the bathtub and sinks when we first arrived, dirty cutlery, and no vacuuming. They apologised profusely but the only offer of compensation was sorry, sorry, sorry. In our eyes a 4 and a half star hotel/apartments should not be having these issues and secondly, a bit more than a sorry should have be offered. Loved the Oaks the first time, horrific stay the second, will not be back a third.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Angek85
AaronJeffrey, General Manager at Oaks Shores, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Hello and thankyou for your detailed comments. I appreciate that you chose to return and stay with us again. It is disappointing that your return visit wasn’t the same experience. We change all bedding for every guest without exception. Thankyou for the photos. I am unable to explain how the stain came to be on the sheet. I absolutely agree that alternative sheets should have been provided instantly. I have discussed this with the team member concerned. We replaced the sheets unfortunately this was not until after you had returned. I acknowledge the bedding should have been presented without marks. The blinds are wiped between bookings and removed periodically for professional cleaning. I apologise the blind was in this condition when you arrived. We endeavour to help people enjoy their Queenstown experience. I apologise that we fell short of our standards during your stay. I appreciate you wanted to extend your stay with us unfortunately it was an extremely busy time and we were unable to do so.
Melbourne, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

We stayed at Oaks Shores in August 2013 for 1 week, in a room for 5 (3 full paying adults and 2 children). Firstly, we were told prior to booking that our '5th person' would be on a roll away bed, which is fine, however, the mattress was paper thin, the springs could be felt digging into your back! The roll away bed was the only indication that there was a 5th guest staying in the room. Please remember, this is a full paying guest! There were NO pillows or blankets on the roll away bed, NO towel, NO chair at the dining table, NO plates, cutlery or glasses. This room was set up for 4 people ONLY! So what was our FULL PAYING 5th guest paying for?? Our room was not serviced for 3 days.

If your thinking of staying here for the snow, please be aware the Oaks Shore does not have a secure drying room. Reception will tell you it is secure.......... but that is only from the public on the street. The drying room is communal to all guests staying at the Oaks Shore.

I did discuss our issue with the Manager, Aaron, who was very polite, but this doesn't change the fact that they took a booking for 5 guest and didn't accommodate us. We go to NZ each year for the snow, this was the first time we stayed at Oaks Shore. I WILL NOT BE TAKING MY FAMILY BACK HERE!!

Room Tip: if you are offered a roll away bed, say NO. If you are traveling for the snow, choose a place where...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
AaronJeffrey, General Manager at Oaks Shores, responded to this review, September 18, 2013
Thankyou for speaking with me then sending an email detailing your concerns. I acknowledge your comments and apologise that the apartment was not set up for 5 people for your arrival and understand your disappointment. We often provide pull/rollaway beds for additional guests. As you would anticipate, these beds are required to come equipped with sheets, blanket, pillow and towel. I also apologise for the delay in providing an alternative mattress for the rollaway. I agree that the booking specified 5 people and that the apartment should have had the appropriate number of items for your arrival. We have everything necessary to accommodate additional guests. We are pleased to offer a drying room. I acknowledge your comments regarding security. I am pleased to say that we haven’t experienced any incidents of theft or tampering. Thankyou for your feedback. I am sorry that you were disappointed with your stay. Your experience is not what we set out to deliver.
india
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

I was been there around few years back, and you call it apartment or hotel or anything but the place is amazing....i am speechless to say anything, its a place to be there and feels the feeling of that place...amazing place and again amazing....very close to city few minute ride in car, 10 to 15 minute far by car supermarket so you can buy stuff accordingly, and rooms are what i say its amazing again big and there are 3 to 4 rooms in 1 apartment...very clean...there are all facility available in rooms means washing machine,drying machine, kitchen full ready to cook anything...bathrooms are heated with heated tiles, bed is very good...and at last view from balcony is so good cant explain in words, so i say to a;ll must stay their for few days with love one or with family.

Room Tip: i was there few years back, i am from India and land in Auckland NZ, I and my brothers drive from Au...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
AaronJeffrey, General Manager at Oaks Shores, responded to this review, September 15, 2013
Kia Ora and thankyou for sharing your experience at Oaks Shores. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and the apartment. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.