“Great apartment, great views.”
Review of Oaks Shores

Oaks Shores
Ranked #42 of 58 Hotels in Queenstown
Dunedin, New Zealand
“Great apartment, great views.”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

This was a lovely luxury apartment for our family Easter break. Really appreciated the full working kitchen, two en-suites and fantastic views. We has an apartment only one floor up so it was easy to access the walking track next to the lake.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
AaronJeffrey, General Manager at Oaks Shores, responded to this review, June 2, 2013
Hello and thankyou for your review. I am thrilled you and your family enjoyed your stay with us. I hope you have the opportunity to stay with us again.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Sydney
Reviewed May 25, 2013 via mobile

Despite staying for 4 nights, our room was not cleaned once. The cleaning staff would simply replace the towels and make the bed. They did not wipe down any surfaces, vacume, or unpack a clean dishwasher and by the end of our stay the room was very dusty and messy. The kettle was revoltingly and you would not drink out of it, as the bottom was coated in a black slimy residue. On our third night we arrived home late and found our room had not been attended to (at all) with our wet towels still in the bathroom and bed unmade. We called reception who took no responsibility for the cleaning and simply said it was outsourced. He did manage to bring us some fresh towels but only after a second telephone conversation. All in all a very disappointing experience and we would not recommend Oaks Shores to anyone.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
AaronJeffrey, General Manager at Oaks Shores, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Thankyou for your feedback. Our housekeeping team are required to follow a scripted process when undertaking the daily servicing. This includes changing towelling, making the beds, replenishing the tea/coffee/sugar/washing and dishwashing powder, emptying the rubbish bins and vacuuming the floors. I am unable to explain at this stage why your apartment wasn’t serviced on the third day. However, mentioning it to reception should have triggered a prompt response. No matter what caused the issue the housekeeping and reception teams are there here to help. I am also unable to explain the residue you describe however the kettle is required to be emptied and cleaned after every departure. The housekeeping service has recently been restructured and this is now part of the Oaks operation. I would welcome contact from you so I can find your booking which will enable me to investigate and discuss with our housekeeping and reception teams. What you have described is not to the standard required and I apologise for your experience.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Now, there are lots of reviews here praising this place but sadly I am unable to add to them. I booked a room for myself and husband on a well known travel website, luckily it was for only one night. I hadn't quite realised that this is not a hotel as such but just lots of 'serviced' apartments. I mean LOTS of apartments.
First up, it is on a busy main road into Queenstown and not clearly signed, so difficult to find. It looks like a utilitarian block of flats. I was astounded at having to leave a pre authorised amount on my credit card, in case I broke something. That is the first time I've ever had to do that and wasn't pleased. It's not a 'friendly' thing to do. I was down as Miss, as though I was a lone traveller, though my booking details clearly stated I was traveling with my husband; and no free Wi Fi. So we didn't bother as it was going to be some horrendous price. Now, if you had booked an actual apartment, then yes you probably had excellent views, however we had been given a room which was tucked well back into the side of the building, affording us a glimpse of lake and sky but lots of the red wall opposite. There were holes in the carpet, the shower dish, a plastic thing stuck on the wall, was covered in soap scum, only one bedside table lamp and the overhead light didn't work. A few bits of miss matched crockery in a tiny cupboard - this seemed to be because this room was attached to a much larger apartment, there was a door in the corner into it. so, if you do go here, check what you are getting because for that miserable room we stayed in, it was way overpriced.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Hello and thankyou for your feedback. I apologise that you had difficulty finding us. We have an Oaks Shores street sign and building signage. However, I will review this to determine whether there is a more effective way to improve our presence. We pre-authorise credit cards of all arriving guests for security. I am unable to explain why we had your booking as “Miss”. I apologise for the mistake and would be very pleased to investigate further if you could let me know details of your stay so I can find your booking. We offer complimentary internet in the lobby/lounge area of 30minutes per day, per device. You may have been staying in one of our hotel rooms which are interconnected with an apartment. The apartments offer fabulous mountain and lake views however the views from the hotel rooms are limited. We have standard inventory of crockery for all rooms and each piece should match. I would welcome contact from you so I can find out which room you stayed in. This will enable me to investigate the carpet, light globe, shower dish and crockery. I am very sorry that you are disappointed with us. I do hope that you reconsider and stay with us at some point in the future.
Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

Hubby and I stayed here for 3 nights. Paid more than other places in NZ but the apartment was truly stunning. Large lounge room and kitchen, well equipped. Large balcony with bifold doors which overlooked the lake. Good bedroom and small e suite bathroom. We loved having some space after a couple of weeks on the road and also loved the gas fire in the lounge- picturesque. The only downfalls were the level of cleanliness of the room- it was a but dusty and I found dirty glasses in the
Cupboards. I think the cleaners lacked any attention to detail. Also the price of wifi was ridiculous and really should be included when considering the price of the accommodation. It is worth noting that the apartments are a fair hike on foot from town, but the walk along the lake is beautiful.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
AaronJeffrey, General Manager at Oaks Shores, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thankyou for your review. Our apartments are well equipped and have stunning views. I apologise you found the room dusty and with dirty glasses. This should not occur. I have sent you a message separately to find out further information regarding your booking so I can investigate and discuss with the housekeeping manager. We are currently reviewing the internet plans we offer. I hope you have the opportunity to return to Queenstown and stay with us again.
Perth
Reviewed April 27, 2013

Would highly recommend this hotel.
Our room (205)was immaculate with stunning views of the lake.
The carpark was easy to get into and out of with plenty of parking for everyone.
Apartments very very well appointed with everything you'd need in the kitchen and bathroom.
Lovely gas fire and electric blanket to keep you cosy. Very comfy beds and pillow.
The only downside was the lack of closet space and as such our clothes were spread over the dinner table! And although there was a washer and drier there was no clothes airer for items that couldn't go into the drier.
Very easy and quick check in and out. Close to the airport.
Short path down to Frankton walk - a lakeside walk. If you're feeling energetic the walk into Queenstown is lovely. Takes about 40mins but well worth it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Hello and thankyou for your review. I agree the apartments are well appointed and are positioned to take full advantage of the magnificent views. We are currently reviewing alternatives for additional storage in the bedroom. A clothes airer will be added as part of our upcoming refurbishment. I appreciate your recommendation, thankyou.
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed April 23, 2013 via mobile

Very good hotel. Lovely views from the 2 bedroom apartment of the lake, with balcony and lovely bifold doors.
The apartments are well designed with easy access from the car park. Beautiful bathrooms and a well equipped kitchen.
Easy access to the stunning Queenstown Trail by the lake. The hotel isn't cheap, but amazing two bedroom apartments never are... You get value for money here :)

Minor gripes:
* Paid wi-fi is standard in New Zealand, but still frustrating, especially when wanting to upload pictures of the beautiful views online.
*Like many hotels with magnetic card access, two of our three room keys died within two days, despite fairly concerned efforts to keep them away from phones and credit cards.
* good washing machine, but no clothes horse for drying clothes. There is a dryer though.

Would recommend without hesitation

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank aussieboy85
AaronJeffrey, General Manager at Oaks Shores, responded to this review, April 25, 2013
Kia Ora and thankyou for your review. I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us. Photos can often be large files which take time to upload and erode the available data limit. I believe it is possible to change the format of pictures to reduce their size and make the process quicker and easier. I apologise for your experience with the magnetic cards and not having a drying rack. This is a standard item in the apartments. I will investigate. I appreciate your recommendation and hope you have the opportunity to return to Queenstown and stay with us again.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Mid May 2012 my brother and I (both adult children) had a spur of the moment thought to go to Queenstown to hit up the slopes. This then turned into a family holiday with our parents also wanting to come along. We were planning on going for a week at the end of July/first week August - thus peak season and therefore understandably a bit pricey but not overwhelming. This was the only place we could find that could accommodate 4 people 2 months out from traveling.

At first I was skeptical about staying here because its not 'in' town. However, we soon discovered that 'in' town was really only a 2-4 min drive down the road (I wouldn't walk into town though). Therefore I wouldn't say that it is in a central location, however if you have a car then this isn't a problem. There is plenty of on site parking available.

Our apartment was amazing. Very spacious living area with phenomenal views of the lake, as well as 2 large bedrooms with electric blankets. The kitchenette was fully functional and had everything you would need. The bathrooms had tile heating which was great.

Staff were very friendly. Due to bad weather our flight was delayed then diverted and we didn't check in until late - about 10pm. However this was not a problem, and the reception staff even gave us a couple of heaters to warm our rooms up as it was quite late and the central heating in the apartment was not on to warm the place up.

The restaurant/bar area were decent, and the fireplace in the room just made it that little bit better. Unfortunately this is also the only area where you can reach the free wifi, which has a 20 or 30 minute (can't remember exactly how long ) limit per day.

I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
AaronJeffrey, General Manager at Oaks Shores, responded to this review, April 17, 2013
Hello and thankyou for your comments. I appreciate your recommendation. Whilst not in the town you are right we are only a few minutes drive away. Also, the local bus service goes to/from town every 15 minutes most of the day and offers discounted prices for our guests. I agree our apartments have very spacious living areas and fabulous views. We are a wifi property, however at this stage the 30 minutes complimentary wifi is offered in the lounge/reception area. I am pleased you found our staff to be friendly and I hope you come and stay with us again.