“Stunning apartment and views”
Review of Oaks Shores

Oaks Shores
Ranked #38 of 57 Hotels in Queenstown
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Hubby and I stayed here for 3 nights. Paid more than other places in NZ but the apartment was truly stunning. Large lounge room and kitchen, well equipped. Large balcony with bifold doors which overlooked the lake. Good bedroom and small e suite bathroom. We loved having some space after a couple of weeks on the road and also loved the gas fire in the lounge- picturesque. The only downfalls were the level of cleanliness of the room- it was a but dusty and I found dirty glasses in the
Cupboards. I think the cleaners lacked any attention to detail. Also the price of wifi was ridiculous and really should be included when considering the price of the accommodation. It is worth noting that the apartments are a fair hike on foot from town, but the walk along the lake is beautiful.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
AaronJeffrey, General Manager at Oaks Shores, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Thankyou for your review. Our apartments are well equipped and have stunning views. I apologise you found the room dusty and with dirty glasses. This should not occur. I have sent you a message separately to find out further information regarding your booking so I can investigate and discuss with the housekeeping manager. We are currently reviewing the internet plans we offer. I hope you have the opportunity to return to Queenstown and stay with us again.

There are newer reviews for Oaks Shores

Reviewed April 27, 2013

Would highly recommend this hotel.
Our room (205)was immaculate with stunning views of the lake.
The carpark was easy to get into and out of with plenty of parking for everyone.
Apartments very very well appointed with everything you'd need in the kitchen and bathroom.
Lovely gas fire and electric blanket to keep you cosy. Very comfy beds and pillow.
The only downside was the lack of closet space and as such our clothes were spread over the dinner table! And although there was a washer and drier there was no clothes airer for items that couldn't go into the drier.
Very easy and quick check in and out. Close to the airport.
Short path down to Frankton walk - a lakeside walk. If you're feeling energetic the walk into Queenstown is lovely. Takes about 40mins but well worth it.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Hello and thankyou for your review. I agree the apartments are well appointed and are positioned to take full advantage of the magnificent views. We are currently reviewing alternatives for additional storage in the bedroom. A clothes airer will be added as part of our upcoming refurbishment. I appreciate your recommendation, thankyou.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

Very good hotel. Lovely views from the 2 bedroom apartment of the lake, with balcony and lovely bifold doors.
The apartments are well designed with easy access from the car park. Beautiful bathrooms and a well equipped kitchen.
Easy access to the stunning Queenstown Trail by the lake. The hotel isn't cheap, but amazing two bedroom apartments never are... You get value for money here :)

Minor gripes:
* Paid wi-fi is standard in New Zealand, but still frustrating, especially when wanting to upload pictures of the beautiful views online.
*Like many hotels with magnetic card access, two of our three room keys died within two days, despite fairly concerned efforts to keep them away from phones and credit cards.
* good washing machine, but no clothes horse for drying clothes. There is a dryer though.

Would recommend without hesitation

Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank aussieboy85
AaronJeffrey, General Manager at Oaks Shores, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Kia Ora and thankyou for your review. I am thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us. Photos can often be large files which take time to upload and erode the available data limit. I believe it is possible to change the format of pictures to reduce their size and make the process quicker and easier. I apologise for your experience with the magnetic cards and not having a drying rack. This is a standard item in the apartments. I will investigate. I appreciate your recommendation and hope you have the opportunity to return to Queenstown and stay with us again.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

Mid May 2012 my brother and I (both adult children) had a spur of the moment thought to go to Queenstown to hit up the slopes. This then turned into a family holiday with our parents also wanting to come along. We were planning on going for a week at the end of July/first week August - thus peak season and therefore understandably a bit pricey but not overwhelming. This was the only place we could find that could accommodate 4 people 2 months out from traveling.

At first I was skeptical about staying here because its not 'in' town. However, we soon discovered that 'in' town was really only a 2-4 min drive down the road (I wouldn't walk into town though). Therefore I wouldn't say that it is in a central location, however if you have a car then this isn't a problem. There is plenty of on site parking available.

Our apartment was amazing. Very spacious living area with phenomenal views of the lake, as well as 2 large bedrooms with electric blankets. The kitchenette was fully functional and had everything you would need. The bathrooms had tile heating which was great.

Staff were very friendly. Due to bad weather our flight was delayed then diverted and we didn't check in until late - about 10pm. However this was not a problem, and the reception staff even gave us a couple of heaters to warm our rooms up as it was quite late and the central heating in the apartment was not on to warm the place up.

The restaurant/bar area were decent, and the fireplace in the room just made it that little bit better. Unfortunately this is also the only area where you can reach the free wifi, which has a 20 or 30 minute (can't remember exactly how long ) limit per day.

I would definitely stay here again and recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
AaronJeffrey, General Manager at Oaks Shores, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

Hello and thankyou for your comments. I appreciate your recommendation. Whilst not in the town you are right we are only a few minutes drive away. Also, the local bus service goes to/from town every 15 minutes most of the day and offers discounted prices for our guests. I agree our apartments have very spacious living areas and fabulous views. We are a wifi property, however at this stage the 30 minutes complimentary wifi is offered in the lounge/reception area. I am pleased you found our staff to be friendly and I hope you come and stay with us again.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

We were in Queenstown for three nights and four days. Our room was room 200-something. What this meant was that after our shuttle backed down the steep driveway toward the reception, we had to go on the elevator to floor 1 to the car park. Lug our luggage through to the other side where there is another building block and go inside, find the elevator (you are on floor 5), and go up to floor 2. Weird.
The room was great. Big King Size bed for us two,Shower glass door went both in and out which if you pushed out you'd wet the floor. Our room, didn't have a microwave or sink but we did have a fridge. Front desk people were helpful enough. Stored bags after check out since our flight was later. Wi-fi available for free at a minimum in lobby only. To get to Queenstown you'll have to take bus but the hotel has a deal with them to get a cheaper rate coming back from 'downtown Queenstown'.

Room Tip: First block so you don't have to go through the car park.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
AaronJeffrey, General Manager at Oaks Shores, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Hello and thankyou for your review. Our property is terraced down the hillside rather than high-rise style. Thankfully the local council building requirements restricted high rise development. This means we are spread out. The special offer we have with the local bus service for return tips to/from Queenstown is well priced. The service operates every 15minutes during peak periods of the day. I hope you have an opportunity to return to Queenstown and stay with us again.

Reviewed March 22, 2013

We stayed in Room 506, one bedroom apartment. Close to the car park which means you can avoid some steps and the steep slope downhill.

Very large apartment with great views from every window. Nice large balcony with table and chairs. Good bedroom, comfortable bed, with small TV on wall. Shower is in the bath. Good kitchen with two drawer dishwasher, large fridge. Milk, laundry and dishwasher power are provided but that is all so the basics, i.e. salt and pepper etc are not included. Laundry with washing machine and dryer. Lounge has small TV on wall. No airconditioning or ceiling fans but if you are on a higher floor you can leave the balcony door open for ventilation.

Queenstown is about a 35 minute walk along a walking track at the front of the apartments. The bus is at the front door $NZ8 into Queenstown but I was at reception one day and heard one of the staff telling a new arrival that if he showed his room card the fare is $NZ5. If that is the case it would have been useful to know, it was not included in the information book in our room. A Go card provides unlimited travel around Queenstown for $NZ40.

In all a very good stay, I found the staff very helpful (a thanks to Paul for his help with our luggage on arrival and his help during our stay).

We will definitely stay here again and have already recommended it to one of my staff who has booked Room 506 in October.

Room Tip: Some steep slopes and steps. Also the shower was in the bath in our apt. May not suit elderly or i...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
AaronJeffrey, General Manager at Oaks Shores, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2013

Kia Ora and thankyou for your detailed comments. The special offer we have with the local bus service to/from Queenstown is well priced. I will ensure we display this for our guests. I am pleased my front office team were very helpful and I will mention your thanks to Paul. We look forward to welcoming your colleague.

Reviewed March 21, 2013

We stayed at Oaks Shores for 10 nights in a 3 bed roomed lake view apartment. First off the service was great, we needed to check in 2 days earlier than planned which the hotel accommodated no problem. When we arrived check in was speedy and friendly.

Our apartment was very spacious and open plan, with 3 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms. There was plenty of seating, a dining area and a balcony with amazing views out to the lake and the Remarkables. Some of the furniture was a little damaged, but it did not spoil the apartment. We did report it to reception who said that the hotel was due a refurbishment. Overall though the apartment was well equipped and very nice.

The beds were comfortable and the apartment was warm on the chillier mornings and evenings as it had both underfloor heating and a fireplace.

The only problem that we did encounter was with the housekeeping team, they were quite rude at times, we were travelling with our young baby and his morning sleep conflicted with the time that they wanted to clean the room. We asked them if they could return after they had done the other rooms and they laughed and replied that they could not! Also they refused to vacuum the apartment, despite repeated requests. As a result I notified reception of the problem, they were very helpful and after that there were no more issues.

Overall I was impressed with the apartment and the service, the hotel was accommodating and the apartment was lovely. The hotel is also situated close to the Frankton walking track into Queenstown, which was very pleasant and it is also well located for getting to town and the airport by road.

I would definitely stay again when I am next in Queenstown.

Room Tip: Corner rooms had lovely big windows to make the most of the views and the sunshine.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family

Thankyou for your review. I am pleased you were impressed with my front office team and I agree the apartments are spacious and well equipped. I am delighted you will stay with us again next time you visit Queenstown.