“BEAUTIFUL HOTEL - GREAT WEEKEND IN QUEENSTOWN”

Sofitel Queenstown Hotel & Spa
Ranked #7 of 59 Hotels in Queenstown
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I was in Queenstown to attend Gibbston Valley Harvest Festival and had an excellent stay at the Sofitel.

The hotel position (central) is perfectly situated for shopping, site seeing and within easy walking to the number of excellent restaurants Queenstown offers

As I do a lot of International Travel I was aware that each Sofitel Hotel offers a genuine experience of French luxury and the best of local culture. Whether in the heart of a major city such as Paris or in wonderful New Zealand. Queenstown was no exception. Public areas downstairs showcased a mix of French/European/South Island influence with its recycled French shutters, chandeliers, antique French chairs, parquet floors made from I believe recycled French Barrels , New Zealand art, designer wallpaper and gracing a beautiful Steinway Piano.

My room was delightful & extremely generous in size (Room 516). I have never experienced a more comfortable bed, , the bathroom large with excellent shower and a double spa bath, TV and the toiletries were of the highest quality namely L Occtaine . For those who like coffee there is a wonderful espresso machine with fresh coffee and milk .
I highly recommend the morning buffet breakfast at the Hotels Left Bank which was of excellent value and choice of food outstanding. I particularly enjoyed the array of fresh juices, the chef created a wonderful mix of carrrot, apple and ginger. Delicious!! It is oone of the nicest breakfasts I've ever had. Everything you can imagine was available. Service was excellent and the staff very friendly.
All services were provided with charm, politeness and with a smile which goes a long way. Upon checking out I was offered a complimentary takeaway coffee. A very nice touch and well appreciated .

My only disappointment was not having time to experience one of the treatments at the spa. However I did go down in the private lift (saves you going through reception in your fluffy white robes) to have a peep and was overwhelmed with the ambience and beauty.

I cannot think of a single thing which needs changing or improving. I highly recommend this hotel and would have no hesitation in staying there on a return trip.

Therese

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Vincent M, General Manager at Sofitel Queenstown Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Bonjour Therese B,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience at Sofitel Queenstown Hotel & Spa.

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us & we are truly delighted that you enjoyed every moment of your stay.

It is a shame that you did not have time to experience our LeSpa at Sofitel. We highly recommend making time for a treatment on your next visit to Queenstown.

Thank you once again for your lovely comments. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Vincent Macquet

Write a ReviewReviews (1,581)

Reviewed March 19, 2013

We had a very mixed experience due primarily to the reception. Our 2 night stay was split because we had reservations on an overnight boat in Doubtful Sound. Our plan was to check into the Sofitel on Thursday, check out but leave most of our luggage on Friday, then return on Saturday. Our stay was further complicated because the first night we required 2 rooms and the second night only one since one person was flying out early.
Check in on day 1 was pretty smooth. We told the receptionist about our change in plans and we asked if we could move into a Jr Suite on the second night and she assured us there would be no problem. Our party was very pleased with the accommodations and the rooms were large and comfortable. However on our return for the second night we had an entirely different experience. We arrived back at the Sofitel around noon, but decided check in with hopes our room was ready. As I expected, it was not ready, but they did tell me it would probably be ready within the hour. So my family left me to wait at the hotel while they dropped off our friend at the airport. I killed time in the Business Center, but when my 30 minute internet time limit was up I decided to go check on my room. In the reception area for I found THE ONLY receptionist chatting with guests who were checking out in a few minutes. It would have been impossible for her not to see me standing there waiting for help, but she continued to ignore me. Finally, without so much as an apology she asks if she can help me, she checks again on my room and informs me that the room is clean but our luggage still needs to be delivered. So I ask if I can go up to the room without luggage and she says no. Confused, I ask her why and she says actually the room still needs to be inspected, but that should happen within the NEXT hour. I explain that I had already been waiting an hour and she dismisses me with a curt shrug of the shoulders. Rude! Half an hour later I am finally escorted up to my room by one of the bellman. It is a beautiful large Jr suite and I am quite happy until I find that the sofa does not pull out and they need to charge $74 to bring up a rollaway bed. Are you kidding me? We paid for 2 rooms 2 nights ago, a Jr suite this night and "hotel policy" requires an additional charge for a rollaway bed when they knew we had a 3rd person in our room? Unfortunately our complaint fell on deaf ears due to the fact that the woman who very rudely checked me in was also the manager. We paid top dollar for rooms and were nickel and dimed with every step. We will NOT be choosing Sofitel in the future.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank WalkinLori
Vincent M, General Manager at Sofitel Queenstown Hotel & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Bonjour WalkinLori,

Thank you for taking the time to share your Sofitel experience.

We really appreciate your honest feedback, which allows us to improve our service to our guests. We would appreciate discussing your experience further with you, please contact me on vincent.macquet@sofitelqueenstown.com as I would like talk to you to allow us the opportunity to restore your faith in our hotel and service.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

From the moment we arrived, we were treated like royalty. Every staff member from the wait staff in the breakfast restaurant, to the concierges, to the front desk men and women were delightful, helpful, friendly and professional. The General Manager seemed as if he never went home. He went out of his way to get to know the guests and one day sent up wine and fruit to our room when we came back from an active day tired. The cocktail lounge was peaceful and the bartenders entertaining. The breakfasts were sumptuous, freshly squeezed assortment of juices and many freshly baked goods and wonderful crepes. The room was beautifully appointed with a very large bath and glass enclosed shower. There was a large closet and ample draw and shelf space. Anything and everything we requested exceeded our expectations. The only drawback was that this property did not have a direct lake view but I would highly recommend this note.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the highest floors with a partial lake view.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Bonjour drcaneel,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent Sofitel experience, we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We are pleased that you received such memorable service from all our Ambassadors & that you enjoyed our Left Bank Cafe & Nue Lounge.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Queenstown.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

We loved this hotel. The staff were extremely helpful and enthusiastic in greeting and bidding farewell. The room was also marvelous, comfortable, clean and everything worked perfectly. Great location right in the centre of the bustle of Queenstown but also very quiet. Unhesitating recommendation.

Room Tip: Facing the town is best I suspect.
1  Thank Smithworldtraveller

Bonjour Smithworldtraveller,

We are pleased that you found our central location beneficial to your needs & that the service you received was

Thank you once again, we look forward to welcoming you back to Sofitel Queenstown Hotel & Spa.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Great location right in the centre of town and the best service I have experienced at a Sofitel. We have stayed at four other Sofitel properties and this eclipses the rest in terms of staff and service.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank David M

Bonjour,

Thank you for taking the time to share your Sofitel Queenstown Hotel & Spa experience. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you received memorable service provided by our Ambassadors.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Queenstown.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

We found the hotel to be very handy to the centre of Queenstown. Staff were friendly and helpful at all times. We had a one bedroom apartment that we couldn't fault. We definitely recommend Sofitel Queenstown.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Niftys

Bonjour Niftys,

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our central location beneficial to your needs.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed March 13, 2013

Stayed here in October as part of a driving holiday of New Zealand. This hotel surpassed the others. The staff are the friendliest I've met, and hotel is so beautiful in itself!
The room was beautiful, with a great view of the Remarkables, and Queenstown itself. I particularly loved the bathtub! It has such a warm and welcoming atmosphere, which is greatly needed after coming back from a long day of scaring the life out of yourself bungee jumping or canyon swinging! I'd also recommend the spa, very calming atmosphere :) I can't wait to go back :)

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank mllelola

Bonjour mllelola,

Thank you for taking the time to share your Sofitel Queenstown Hotel & Spa experience, we are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us.

The double spa bath in our rooms are a fantastic feature and are certainly inviting after an adventurous day in QUeenstown.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future.