My partner and I stayed for 3 nights at Sofitel this past week as a belated birthday celebration. I am posting the review in such haste because I can't wait for others to share the incredible experience we had.
Our requests for a mountain view and high level room were kindly accommodated, and it was such a surprise when we were welcomed with a birthday card and plate of chocolates! The service really was the outstanding feature, with all requests accommodated in a warm, timely and professional manner. It is a rare feat for a 5 star establishment to feel more welcoming than even perhaps my own home! Little touches such as daily chocolates, bottled Waiwera water, and beautiful Loccitane products (Hermes on executive level) were most appreciated. We booked through Wot-if mystery hotel deal ($199pn vs. usual rate of $349), and received a complimentary bottle of wine and valet parking with the package.
The room was beautiful with copious space, we especially loved the possum throw (an item we never knew we needed but are now on the hunt for), the pillow menu, the double in-room spa-bath with tv, and the espresso machine (and we are not even coffee-drinkers!). We had the most stunning view of the snow-capped mountains, even more appreciable on the juliet balcony. The room was the most sound-proof that I'd ever stayed in, and we never heard a peep even though our room faced Duke st. I would comment though, that some of the facilities seem somewhat dated- the TVs, a mirror in our room was cracked, the hairdryer broke on the 3rd day. However, these are but trite flaws and the hairdryer was replaced immediately and most apologetically by the housekeeping staff.
I opted for the Winter Warm-up spa package at LeSpa and had the most luxurious 2 hours of pampering. The spa setup is the most elegant and inviting of all the spa saloons I have ever frequented, and the treatment left me feeling and smelling like heaven! I am now rather regretful of not having purchased the body scrub recommended to me after the treatment. It is also worthy of a mention that there is an internal lift to the gym and LeSpa, so that you can simply trot down in the bathrobe and slippers provided.
We had a la carte breakfast at on-site Left Bank Cafe, as the buffet breakfast didn't much appeal. The buffet breakfast consisted mainly of pastries and some basic cooked hot foods, and I guess it offered less hot food options compared to breakfast buffets I have had at Westin in Fiji, or Cape Punwa in Phuket. The a la carte breakfast came with delicious complimentary croissants and jams which was a lovely touch. All in all though, the food was good but nothing special.
The central locality of Sofitel is another major standout. The lake (and water transport) is 2 minutes walk away, Fergburger is around the corner, NZski (for ski passes and bus to the mountains) is across the road, and central bus stop for airport bus/daytrip pickup and dropoffs are 2 minutes walk away. We had absolutely no need for a vehicle staying in such a perfect location, especially when many of the day activity excursions in Queenstown provide complimentary hotel pickup.
All in all, this was my favourite hotel stay to date, mainly due to the exceptional and flawless service, and the little personal touches that amounted to a 5-star experience. I cannot wait to return.
1. Sofitel has a ski gear storeroom by the entrance
2. Shop around the numerous ski hire places around town- we went to Select and got a deal for $40pp hire of skis, poles, boots, jacket, pants, goggles, and gloves.
3. We loved our 'Ride of the rings' horseriding excursion with Dart Stables
4. We found our meal at Wakatipu Grill at the Hilton somewhat mediocre and uninspiring. Only worth a trip for the views and service.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience a new level of sophistication at Sofitel Queenstown Hotel and Spa. Inspired by the charms of Paris with the warm hospitality inherent to Queenstown, be mesmerized by its tasteful combination of French antique elegance and local avant-garde design. Centrally located in the heart of Queenstown, it offers 82 luxuriously appointed bedrooms and suites, featuring Left Bank Café open for breakfast, lunch and dinner, 1789 Wine & Jazz Lounge and Jervois Steak House. Situated in the heart of Queenstown's dining and entertainment precinct, Sofitel Queenstown Hotel and Spa is the perfect base to explore central Queenstown on foot before heading further afield to local ski resorts and adventure attractions. Just 15 minutes from the airport, you can take a stroll down to the shores of Lake Wakatipu, or up to Queenstown's scenic vantage point and adventure attraction Skyline Luge during your stay. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Agoda, Priceline, TripOnline SA, ACCOR, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sofitel Queenstown Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sofitel Queenstown Hotel Queenstown
- Sofitel Queenstown Hotel And Spa
- Queenstown Sofitel