“5-star service puts Sofitel a league above others”

Sofitel Queenstown Hotel & Spa
Ranked #7 of 57 Hotels in Queenstown
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“5-star service puts Sofitel a league above others”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2012

My partner and I stayed for 3 nights at Sofitel this past week as a belated birthday celebration. I am posting the review in such haste because I can't wait for others to share the incredible experience we had.

Our requests for a mountain view and high level room were kindly accommodated, and it was such a surprise when we were welcomed with a birthday card and plate of chocolates! The service really was the outstanding feature, with all requests accommodated in a warm, timely and professional manner. It is a rare feat for a 5 star establishment to feel more welcoming than even perhaps my own home! Little touches such as daily chocolates, bottled Waiwera water, and beautiful Loccitane products (Hermes on executive level) were most appreciated. We booked through Wot-if mystery hotel deal ($199pn vs. usual rate of $349), and received a complimentary bottle of wine and valet parking with the package.

The room was beautiful with copious space, we especially loved the possum throw (an item we never knew we needed but are now on the hunt for), the pillow menu, the double in-room spa-bath with tv, and the espresso machine (and we are not even coffee-drinkers!). We had the most stunning view of the snow-capped mountains, even more appreciable on the juliet balcony. The room was the most sound-proof that I'd ever stayed in, and we never heard a peep even though our room faced Duke st. I would comment though, that some of the facilities seem somewhat dated- the TVs, a mirror in our room was cracked, the hairdryer broke on the 3rd day. However, these are but trite flaws and the hairdryer was replaced immediately and most apologetically by the housekeeping staff.

I opted for the Winter Warm-up spa package at LeSpa and had the most luxurious 2 hours of pampering. The spa setup is the most elegant and inviting of all the spa saloons I have ever frequented, and the treatment left me feeling and smelling like heaven! I am now rather regretful of not having purchased the body scrub recommended to me after the treatment. It is also worthy of a mention that there is an internal lift to the gym and LeSpa, so that you can simply trot down in the bathrobe and slippers provided.

We had a la carte breakfast at on-site Left Bank Cafe, as the buffet breakfast didn't much appeal. The buffet breakfast consisted mainly of pastries and some basic cooked hot foods, and I guess it offered less hot food options compared to breakfast buffets I have had at Westin in Fiji, or Cape Punwa in Phuket. The a la carte breakfast came with delicious complimentary croissants and jams which was a lovely touch. All in all though, the food was good but nothing special.

The central locality of Sofitel is another major standout. The lake (and water transport) is 2 minutes walk away, Fergburger is around the corner, NZski (for ski passes and bus to the mountains) is across the road, and central bus stop for airport bus/daytrip pickup and dropoffs are 2 minutes walk away. We had absolutely no need for a vehicle staying in such a perfect location, especially when many of the day activity excursions in Queenstown provide complimentary hotel pickup.

All in all, this was my favourite hotel stay to date, mainly due to the exceptional and flawless service, and the little personal touches that amounted to a 5-star experience. I cannot wait to return.

Extra notes:
1. Sofitel has a ski gear storeroom by the entrance
2. Shop around the numerous ski hire places around town- we went to Select and got a deal for $40pp hire of skis, poles, boots, jacket, pants, goggles, and gloves.
3. We loved our 'Ride of the rings' horseriding excursion with Dart Stables
4. We found our meal at Wakatipu Grill at the Hilton somewhat mediocre and uninspiring. Only worth a trip for the views and service.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher level (6th floor is executive floor) with a mountain view. There is minim...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank loosek

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

My husband bought me here as a surprise for my birthday this time last year. It was amazing! I'm not a jet setter an haven't stayed in an exorbitant amount of hotels, but I mean what the title says.

We stayed in a luxury room. Which was extremely well appointed and exceeded all my expectations. The room was clean. Bed large and comfortable. Bathroom large with heated floor tiles. Room was quiet, couldn't hear a peep from outside. I love that there is an option to open wondows and doors onto a small balcony. Very hard to come by now.

From greet until well after we'd departed all staff were very friendly and bent over backwards to assist us in everything we needed, even pointing out fergburger and a great pizza place which we had never heard of.

My camera some how ended up in the laundry with the towels, I didn't realise until after we were back in Australia. The staff were honest and responsive to to and fro correspondence about sending it
back.

I work for an airline and previously an internationally known car rental and sing praises to anyone going to Queenstown. For it to still be making an impression on me a year later, it's well worth it. I can only imagine how amazing their pent house suites must be :)

• Stayed October 2011
3 Thank JessieRoo
Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2012

The service was on par with the best that we have ever had and the rooms were amazing. Enjoyed soaking in the beautiful spa our your luxuriously appointed bathroom! Our room had views of the town and snow capped mountains. We would definitely stay here again.

The only down side to us was the King Size bed being made of two singles and you felt the ridge between the two quite noticibly.

1 Thank NicFr0mOz
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

My partner and I stayed at the Sofitel Queenstown for a week in August 2012.
From our arrival to our departure, from the housekeeper (Natalia) to the GM ( Mr Maquet), everything and everyone were just outstanding. A big thank you to Alex (concierge) Claire (bar), the restaurant team and reception team for their help and kindness.
Our room was very spacious, confortable, with a nice little balcony over looking the Remarkables ski field. We particulary enjoyed the Expresso Machine and the Spa bath.
Food was also very good, restaurant is very cosy and warm, we had a lovely breakfast by the fireplace everyday.
I can not wait to come back to Queenstown and i will defenitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the Remarkables field side offer a better view
1 Thank jennifer A
Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

My now husband and I stayed there for a few nights leading up to our wedding on top of Cecil Peak which we were delighted we could see from our window. I have to say it was the best experience to have for our wedding. The staff were FANTASTIC. They were friendly, warm and professional. We had a couple of hiccups with our wedding and nothing was too much trouble and helped with everything we needed which eased any stress and even brought up wine to us as we got dressed. Beautiful touch and surprise. The rooms were clean and inviting, the bed was extreamly comfortable and it is so close to town you can walk around and not need a car which was wonderful. The food was lovely in the restaurant and Le Spa is a must. I strongly recommend the couples massage and the steam room. We went back a second time just for the steam room just because of how relaxing it is. If you would like a beautiful location, wonderful staff, easy location that is walking distance from town than I would love to recommend Sofitel.

2 Thank Samantha S
Mapleton, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

I chose the Sofitel partly for its location and partly for that bed. I paid a bit more for this funky suite but it was so worth it!

The highlight of my stay however was the superb service. I was most impressed to find the General Manager Vincent Macquet personally assisting staff and visitors as part of his daily routine. His outstanding service has obviously inspired the entire staff of the Sofitel.

It is rare to find service delivered from the heart. I certainly appreciated the difference. There were too many helpful staff especially in Reception to list!

Breakfast at the Left Bank Cafe was a really lovely start to my day. Nara was wonderful at knowing exactly how I liked my morning coffee.

The room was oh so spacious with all amenities and 7 windows. The spa bath even had a TV! The coffee machine actually made fab coffee.

My room and bathroom were well furnished with modern decor and were spotless.

I have stayed at a number of 5 and 6 star hotels over the past 15/20 years but none would top the exception service of the Sofitel Queenstown. Bravo!

Room Tip: My funky room was on the corner Level 5. It also included some fab amenities like a couple of free d...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank SunshineScoop
Darwin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

My husband and i stayed at Sofitel Queenstown for 9 nights, for business and pleasure combined. Sofitel Australia is one of my favorite brands and i am happy to say the NZ rendezvous did not dissapoint. Our rooms already had soy milk(special request for my lactose intolerant husband) waiting in the fridge, a simple request that so many other properties fail to accomodate.
Whilst they are not perfect, the attitude of staff is what makes up for any little niggles. They are friendly, helpful, polite, and fairly knowledgeable. Service can be a bit slow at times, perhaps due to busy time (?) of the year, but they do deliver.
Menu at the Left Bank Cafe is traditional french affair with NZ produce showcased to advantage. Wine menu could use more geographical variety. Breakfast is a nice spread and they do perfect poached eggs, yummy ommlettes and warm poached plums with yoghurt was my favorite.
Rooms; the most important component of any travellers stay: We were on level 4 for 5 nights with street view overlooking the gondola and level 6 for 4 nights, a definite improvement, with lovely views over the town and the lake.
Rooms are big, spotless and modern with standard sofitel pillow menu, L'occitane ameneites, underfloor heating, spa bath with tv and separate shower. Trust me, every day after snowboarding, a long soak in that spa bath was a lifesaver. Also, my husband loved the inroom espresso machines standard at sofitel. I do wish though, they would have a tea pot and decent cups for tea drinkers like me.
Lespa: My husband & i had a massage & facial and found the quality of product delivery acceptable but not brilliant. Again, the ambience and attitude of the staff is spot on though and it was reasonably priced to while away time when weather was too crap for anything else.
What else: Location is perfect, within walking distance to everything (especially Fergberger!), buses for snow centres leave opposite the hotel.
Main gripe: Internet! a measly 100kb/day was not enough for our business component of travel. We bought a 1G 7day plan but c'mon! Most properties around the world now provide free internet. Time for Accor to catch up.
Overall, it is a lovely property with staff that take pride in thier work, make you feel welcome everyday. Augustine, you are a star!. and when the GM grabs your burgers & fries and delivers them to your room all plated up, you know you've got something special. I'll resonate with other reviwers; it is definately 5 star.

Room Tip: Level 5 or 6 have good views and are above street level
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple