“The kitchen is a nightmare”
Review of Base Queenstown

Base Queenstown
Hamburg, Germany
“The kitchen is a nightmare”
Reviewed May 12, 2013

I had to stay for several nights at ths place and I would never do it again.
The rooms in the third floor are OK (newly painted) but the first room I enter it was so smelly and the bathroom was just dirty. In addition the person who was in the room was boiling some food in the water heater... Luckily I got another room, but also tis is smelly, I believe from the curtain in the shower...
But the worst is the kitchen. I found no fork und just a handful of spoons. The pots and pants were dirty and or damaged. I just coked once in this kitchen, but will never do it again.
So rate worst hostel I saw in New Zealand

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Greater Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We arrived late on a Friday evening. Tried a number of hotels, backpackers and there was a severe lack of accommodation ...so we happily took a 3 bed en-suite room for $125NZD in Base backpackers in Queenstown.
The room was a good size and the ensuite modern. It is very central, next to a square with free wifi, though we purchased wifi in our room for $4NZD per day, which was fast enough.
We parked up on Man Street which thankfully had some free parking over the weekend.
While it is diagonally across the road from Ferg burger which serve excellent burgers! We were impressed with the $5 specials for residents, there were also $5 drink specials! We enjoyed a $10 pizza & beer special!
On the downside were were woken many times throughout the night by shouting, singing & banging on doors during each of the 3 nights we stayed. That being said Queenstown is a bit of a party town!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Good for budget travellers. Theres a club down below with minimal noise to listen from the second floor so sleeping wasn't so much of a hassle. Staff are friendly and rooms are clean. Location is smack bang in the middle of Queenstown.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Had the girls only dorm, a bit crowded with a squeaky door. Complimentary towel and glass of bubbles. Not the cleanest and facilities too small for number of guests. Cheap meals in the bar and friendly staff. Not recommended for a restful nights sleep. In room there was a fridge would have liked to have seen an electric jug.

Room Tip: Girls only dorm if you are female. Try not to get on first floor.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I stayed in Base for 14 nights all together, in a 10 day block and then another 4, and the only reason why I stayed there was because I had a "Base Jumping Card." The first room that I was
put into was disgusting. It had not been hovered, a pair of dirty men's boxers were under my bed still, and it just looked like a complete dump. I had an incident with a guy one night where I needed to change rooms, and the staff were very friendly and let me change rooms for the remainder of my stay, which was helpful, but this guy had tried to touch me and the staff did nothing about it. They let him stay in the hostel, and I had to walk past him everyday, and they did nothing about it, so do not rely on them if something goes wrong, is all I can say.
If you are a girl, I recommend staying in the female only dorms because although they are still grim, they are 10x better than any other room you will get at Base.
The kitchen looked like it hadn't been cleaned in weeks, so trying to cook a meal there was horrible.
There was a good party atmosphere, and the bar downstairs was usually quite busy, so at least you could meet some people.
Reception was always busy, so if you needed anything, you had to wait at least 10 minutes. I think I waited about 15 minutes just to buy some internet, what a joke!
So seriously, only stay here if you need to!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Wow.
Base Queenstown felt like an undergrad college dorm where none of the students had to go to classes, or had any responsibilities. It was a party atmosphere. If you are looking for messy rooms, chaotic public spaces, easy access to lots to drinking and all-hours activity, Base Queenstown is for you. Call it Cabo San Lucas in New Zealand.
I'm a 50-year old who was staying in hostels around Fiordlands, and this was my least favorite. It's the only time I though stuff might be stolen, though my roommates turned out to be decent enough.
The corner room was nice, and the whole facility is very conveniently located.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
West Yorkshire
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This place is buzzing full of young people, it is obviously meant for the younger end... It's very loud and vibrant.

Our room was dirty and smelt badly, stuff was everywhere, obviously the room hadn't been cleaned properly in a long time, there was chewing gum stuck to the ceiling above my top book etc. WiFi was a pay per day ($4) and it was quite erratic.

Reception was always packed if you needed to buy something or had a query.

From our room, there was a lot of noise from the outside area, which was obviously due to Queenstown's good night life - but it was difficult to sleep properly.

I also had two items of property go missing, one of these was most likely to be the staff/housekeeping due to overwhelming circumstantial evidence... I went to speak to the staff after someone indicated that the property had gone missing around the time the housekeepers had entered the room. When I spoke to the housekeepers on my floor, I explained the situation, and later on in the conversation they knew things about the item which I had not yet disclosed, draw from that what you will.

There are lockers to use in your room but you will need a padlock. However some of these were already insecure for whatever reason, even with a padlock on.

Also, none of the lights in our room worked so it was generally difficult to see anything.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Queenstown hotels