“Just as you expect from a base hostel”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Base Queenstown

Base Queenstown
Wrexham, United Kingdom
“Just as you expect from a base hostel”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

Base hostel cater for the youth crowd and that's exactly what we found.

We got in at 2pm and found two English guys, including one cleaning staff member who wasn't staying in the room passed out on the floor, suffering from the night before.

The bunk beds are very flimsy, moving even a little bit is enough to wake up who ever you're sharing with.

There were almost no forks it spoons in the kitchen making eating as a group difficult.

The bar wouldn't honour the $5 Mojitos deal due to a lack of staff even though we were the only customers.

I wouldn't stay in the base hostel again, its the worst I've seen in New Zealand.

• Stayed February 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Alexandra, Otago, New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

I had possibly the WORST night of accommodation IN MY LIFE when I recently stayed at Base. I checked in at the earliest time of 1pm. Left my things on my bed (8 Bed dorm) to later return at 1am to find somebody asleep in my bed with my belongings on the floor. I straight away went down to the reception, the guy at the desk was the most USELESS ,UNHELPFUL person I have ever met. He made me wait about an hour before he checked my room - it turns out the empty (slept in) bed was mine. However he made me wait another 30 minutes or so before returning with some clean linen. By this time I was ready to get a refund. I asked for a refund and he said he wasn't authorized to give out refunds, so I asked to speak to his manager. He told me he didn't have a manager, I couldn't believe THERE WAS NO ONE RESPONSIBLE FOR THERE MISTAKE. It was basically time to get up by the time they had my bed sorted.They offered me a free breakfast, which was insulting as I ALREADY PURCHASED THE BREAKFAST WITH MY BOOKING.

The room was smelly, muggy, stuffy, hot. There was no air circulation. The shower was terrible. The staff, JIMMY AND ZAC, were TERRIBLE.

I'm actively demoting Base, I will never stay there again and will let everyone know.

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Rachael M
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2013 via mobile

i stayed at a couple of base hostels before but this one was one of the worse ones. the bathrooms arent very clean and the showers are very bad (you have to press a botton very 10sec for water).
but there is a bar downstairs and its in the centre of queenstown. we even got our own fridge in our room.

• Stayed February 2013
Ipswich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2013

Visited NZ in November & December of 2012. with no intentions of going to the South Island but we ended up flying into Queenstown from Auckland, Staying at Base was great. We arrived at 9:00 and they couldn't check us in until 2PM but the reception staff were more than happy to look after our stuff. That evening staff came round to our room & gave us vouchers for the bar downstairs, a meal & drink for the price of a drink (can't complain) - Overall, really positive place, really cool people, the accommodation was clean, only slight problem was the 9 second showers, but eh, It was part of the fun!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Mirboo North, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

Don't let appearances fool you, Base Queenstown may have a great location and clean looking accommodation but we had an awful stay there with no privacy, lost bookings and a 9second shower.

Three things to keep in mind if you are thinking about staying at Base Queenstown:
#1: Don't expect to have a booking even if you have confirmation and have paid in full well in advance. You might get thrown in a dorm even if you have booked a private room.
#2: Don't expect a good night's sleep or any privacy (not because of other travelers having a good time but because the staff will burst into your room at any time of day or night without knocking and will take your stuff!!)
#3: Don't expect to have a shower longer than 9seconds long that you can adjust the temperature on. Seriously, we timed it!

My husband, brother, best friend and I stayed at Base Queenstown for two nights over New Years 2012/2013. We are all over 24 years old, polite, tidy, fun and friendly people.
During our time in New Zealand we stayed at lots of discount backpackers in the same price range as each other in a great variety of areas and this was by far the worst stay we experienced. Here is an account of our first night at Base Queenstown:

We made a booking to stay at Base Queenstown about two months prior to our stay. The booking we made was for a four bed (quad) ensuite (not a dorm) for two nights (Dec 31 2012 and Jan 01 2013). We received email confirmation for this booking and it was paid for in advance. Just one week prior to our arrival we were sent an email telling us that we did not have a booking. This was an incredible shock and so we rang Base Queenstown straight away. After a lot of confusion we were then told we had been 'upgraded' to a 6 bed dorm. We were told it would be just like the room we had booked but it would have two empty beds in it. (Note: A six bed dorm is not private and has bunk beds instead of single beds and the ensuite does not have a bath). When we were a day away from arriving we rang again to make sure everything was still fine with our booking and we were told that we had been placed in a dorm with two other people. We were very shocked and upset as we had booked a private room for four people. After alot of mucking around we were later told that this information was wrong and that we would be the only people in that room. On our arrival there was again more confusion about whether there were going to be other people in our room. We once again mentioned that we were told that there would be no one else in the room with us as we had booked a private room. The lady at the desk asked us how many keys we would like, so as we were staying together we only requested two sets and paid the key deposits. We went upstairs to our room which was on the third floor to get ready to go out. The room was very warm and had three bunk beds, a table with two chairs, an ensuite bathroom with shower, lockers, a small balcony, a heater and a fridge. We then headed out for a night on the town as it was New Years Eve. After watching the fireworks and having a great evening out at the World Bar we returned to our room to get ready for bed. When we reached the door we met two bouncers who needed us to show our keys to get in. As we only had two keys we showed them and told them that we were only given two sets. The bouncers would not let us upstairs unless we had a set each which we were not told would happen when we were given the keys that afternoon. We had to then wait for someone at the desk to check our IDs and find us two more keys so that we could go to our room. At around 1:00pm (when we were getting into bed) we had a man we had never met barge our room without knocking which was very frightening. The man said that he had to take any alcohol that we had in our room because we were not allowed to have it. We told him that the only alcohol we had were two unopened bottles of spirits which we had purchased for later in our trip and were packed with our luggage. We were of course very apologetic as we were treated as though we had broken the rules. We told the man that we hadn't been told that this was a rule and that we had only seen signs that stated that you couldn't drink any alcohol after 9pm in the kitchen and that we hadn't had anything to drink on the premises as we had been at a bar all night. (We had however noticed quite a lot of people in other rooms had been drinking as the nearby balconies were littered with cans, bottles and even beer bongs). We obeyed the man and tied the bottles up in the supermarket bag that they were in and wrote our names and room number on the bag and he took them from us. He told us they could be picked up from reception in the morning. About 30minutes later once we had already turned out the lights and were trying to sleep the man burst into the room again which was again very frightening. The only reason he had for this was to tell us that he had taken the drinks to reception, which he had already told us. After these two intrusions we were all very shaken as it felt as though anyone could burst into our room at any time without knocking. The next morning at around 9:00am while most of us were still in bed after such a late night we had a woman burst into our room without knocking and said she was from housekeeping. We still wanted to sleep longer so we told her no thank you and she left. Within about 5minutes another woman burst into our room, again without knocking and said she was from housekeeping and we again said "no thankyou" as some of us were still trying to get back to sleep after the first lady had burst in. Naturally we were all very awake after two people bursting into our room and so we all got up and began having showers and getting dressed. The first person hopped in the shower and while they were in there another lady burst into the room and said she was from housekeeping and that she had to clean our room. We told her we didn't need it cleaned as we would be there for another night. She then told us that she at least had to clean the bathroom and we told her that someone was using it so she went away. Meanwhile we discovered that the shower only worked for 9seconds at a time (we timed it!) it worked by pushing in a timer button and had no temperature adjustment. This was unbelievable as it is not nearly enough time to shower in so to be able to wash yourself with soap and rinse you had to push the button in at least six times (for a shower that lasted less than 1 minute). If you wanted to wash your hair your wrist would be very sore afterward from pushing in the button so many times. After the first of us was finished in the shower and another of us had jumped in another lady burst into our room telling us forcefully that she had to clean the bathroom. We told her that it was still in use. She went away and then within seconds we had two ladies at our door telling us that they had to clean our bathroom, we told them again that it was in use so they couldn't and we shut the door. They then banged loudly on our door and told us that they had to come in and check our room. We asked them what they needed to check it for as some of us were still getting dressed. They said we have to check your room it was their job. We told them that we didn't want people entering our room without permission as we had booked a private room and we didn't want them to check our room unless they had a reason. One of the ladies replied NO this is a dorm room you have booked a dorm room. We tried to tell them again that we had been moved into a dorm room and what we had booked was a private room. She once again said that we had booked a dorm room (which we hadn't) and said she had to check our room. So we again asked what they needed to check it for and they didn't answer our question. Instead one of the ladies pushed past us into the room, looked around for something and then walked out. After this we were finally left alone. After nine separate intrusions we all felt very unsafe leaving our belongings in our room and so we took them all with us while we were out for the day.

Our advice to anyone staying at Base Queenstown is to place a chair in front of the door when you want to go to sleep so that you get some warning when someone enters your room without knocking in the middle of the night. Bring something that you can duct tape over the shower button to keep it down long enough to have a real shower and make sure you take any important belongings with you or lock them up as there are lots of people with keys to your room who will come in at any time whether you are there or not. If you want to park your car nearby the best place to park is the Man Street car park.

There are lots of other backpackers in Queenstown which have great locations and clean accommodation so If you would like to enjoy your stay, party, have a good night's sleep and a shower don't choose Base Queenstown.

Room Tip: Don't stay here, there are much better backpackers around!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
QTRichieRich, General Manager at Base Queenstown, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Hi Merrily_Merrily,

I am sorry to hear that your stay at Base Queenstown was not satisfactory. We pride ourselves on being a top quality hostel with excellent customer service, but sometimes we do get it wrong.

I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for the mix up of your bookings. New Years Eve is the busiest time of year for us and these mistakes can unfortunately happen.

Due to the time of year, we have to have security on the front door to ensure that only paying guests have access to the hostel, this is a safety precaution put in place to protect the guests in house. The easiest way for our security team to check people are staying in the hostel is to check each guest has a key. Admittedly the process could have been handled differently.

The security team had their work cut out for them on such a busy night as New Years Eve but common sense should have prevailed when it came to your alcohol being unopened and not consumed.

With regards to the Housekeeping staff who kept barging into your room, I have passed this on to the housekeeping team to ensure that the proper processes and procedures are followed. The fact that you booked into a private room but were placed into a dorm room should have been better communicated.

We are working our through the hostel converting our push button showers to manual operated showers, but as you can imagine this is a costly and timely process.

I would like for you to give us another chance here at Base Queenstown to show you that we can do things beyond your expectation, Free Of Charge of course. Please feel free to contact me on +64 3 441 0344 so we can discuss further.

Thanks,

Rich Deane
Base Queenstown
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

I was a solo traveler in July for the snow, but ended up spending quite a lot of time off the mountain after I got a concussion early on my trip. While I thought this may kill the rest of my two weeks, I ended up having still having a great time given that the hostel is fairly social if you go with the experience.
The rooms are nothing special - just a bunk and a locker for your small valuables. I'd suggest springing for a 6 person room since the 8 person rooms were crazy crowded. Also, if you got a bit more to spend you'll be grateful to stay in the 4 person room since they have a proper shower that you can keep on for more than 30 seconds at a time AND you can control the temperature!!
Be ready to party since the place can get really loud. The night guy tries to keep things under control but can't be every where at once.
If you're looking for laid back with minimal rules this is your place. I know most people staying at Nomad might have had nicer rooms, etc. but they weren't allowed to have people in after 7pm and no alcohol in their rooms after 9.
The location is awesome and the staff are extremely helpful about helping to organise activities.

• Stayed July 2012
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

We stayed at a couple of Base's during our tour of the south island and this one was the one in need of the most updating.

Plus sides of this Base is the location (very central!) and the cheap wifi ($12 for 7 days global gossip - so can be used in other global gossip hotspots), also the Base travel downstairs was great and booked a number of activities for us

Negatives - very noisy - we had a private ensuite room to get some peace - unfortunately people on our corridor weren't very considerate and we had to put up with shouting at all times of the day and night and on our last night reception staff seemed to come up and ask some people to leave at 0300am by banging on a dorm room door, I think the wifi signal was weak in some of the rooms so people seemed to be hanging out in the corridors to Skype early in the mornings as well  so all in all not conducive for good nights sleep.

Top tip - request a double room with no windows for a cheaper private room!

Room Tip: Ask for a double room with no windows for a cheaper private room
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple