“great surprise”

Hippo Lodge Backpackers
Valencia, Spain
“great surprise”
Reviewed April 28, 2014

We stayed at 2 different double rooms in the White house. Lovely views from the lounge, kitchen and balcony. Quiet and clean since you only share with 3 rooms.
Room 12 was awesome. Great bed and spacious. Room 10 was ensuite (really not necessary) and bed was smaller and soggy and didnot have view.
Staff very friendly and helpful.
Great location, close enough to town but far enough so it is very quiet, Very close to supermarkets and lots of places for parkiing.
We will definetely go back. So clean!!!

Room Tip: White house rooms-room 11 or 12
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed April 13, 2014

We stayed in the 'White House', which has the bigger double rooms upstairs, for three nights. We stayed during shoulder season, when everything was kind of winding down, so we got a free upgrade to these rooms. Reception was super friendly and didn't mind that I had to come in three times to get change for the laundry and purchase wifi. =)

We are mature travelers and loved our stay there. It was pretty quiet and we only shared bathrooms with a maximum of 4 other people in two other rooms. The 'White House' has its own kitchen and large living room that is separate from the other buildings in the hostel. We loved how quiet it was and it was pretty clean. The stove could use and upgrade, but everything else in the kitchen was nice and well equipped. The view of the lake from the kitchen and living room is also spectacular. Bathrooms were clean, but showers ran out of hot water quickly.

Shops and restaurants are a quick walk downhill, but the area was still quiet. The lodge is near the top of a steep hill, so expect a workout when you return home!

Room Tip: I recommend asking for a room in the "White House" if you are looking for a quieter stay.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
makutamonster, Manager at Hippo Lodge Backpackers, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Hi Michelle,
Thanks for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor!
It is true, the White House is a really nice unit ... almost "Presidential" ha ha.
We recommend the White House for those wanting a budget price point, but don't want to be surrounded by tons of people. It is a bit more expensive than our "backpacker doubles", but then again, you get what you pay for.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay and yes, the oven is getting a bit on in years, but it still works a treat! Just like me, ha ha.

Have a great day,
UK
Reviewed April 10, 2014

1.friendly front desk staff, very kindly accepted a one night booking or i would have been sleeping in the car!
2. a lot of steps to some areas
3.kitchen equipment not brilliant
4.stunning views of queenstown and the lake
5. sofas broken and not hugely comfy
bed comfy but stand alone bunks meant it was a rocky night as the person above tossed and turned all night
6.good bathrooms
7. a very steep walk back from town

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Hi Charlotte,
Thanks for your comments.
1.We're glad you think we are friendly - we do try :)
2. We do have a lot of steps, but we think that some things, like the SPECTACULAR VIEWS, are worth a bit of effort!
3.We do replace the kitchen equipment often, but there is a LOT of people coming through and things do get worn. Let me know next time and I'll see if I can find an immediate replacement for what you want to use.
4.We do have the most spectacular views of any hostel in Queenstown. imho :)
5. Some guests are a bit destructive with the furniture, but I have since replaced the broken piece. Next time, please let me know and it will happen faster! :)
*We are a backpacker/hostel and in order to have budget prices, we have to have bunks. Sometimes, one has to take the bad with the good.
6.I like our bathrooms too, cheers!
7. see # 2

Thanks again Charlotte and hope your travels continue happily!
Warm Regards,
Hampshire
Reviewed March 11, 2014

We are more mature travellers, 2 couples. One couple had Room 11 in the 'above' of the house and this seemed acceptable to that age group. A nice-ish lounge and kitchen with great views. For only £5 less per night, we ended up with double room 15 (I think) that is 'downstairs' and leads directly onto the kitchen. The room smelt on arrival, the kitchen is filthy and the noise of people simply talking goes straight into the bedroom. And you have to walk through the kitchen area to get to the showers.

Yes, it needs a real clean up. We were booked for 4 nights, and after one sleepless night, we couldn't face another one let alone 3. To be fair to the person on duty, he refunded 3 nights and even offered to upgrade us for nothing - but we were out of there pretty quickly. Our friends stayed the 4 nights and always had polite, courteous people in their upper part of the house.

Room Tip: Read the review and others too!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank MitchellHampshire
makutamonster, Manager at Hippo Lodge Backpackers, responded to this review, March 12, 2014
Hi Mitchell,
Thank you for taking the time to review Hippo Lodge.

You stayed in Room 15, in our "Backpacker Double" and shares the facilities with about 16 other travellers. The unit is apt to get messier and louder as you are sharing the facility with so many guests. Usually the messiness depends on the guests staying with us, and thus varies greatly. Some guests are responsible and clean up after themselves, others don't. Hippo Lodge services the kitchens 2x per day. Once in the morning and once in the evening. It wouldn't be feasible to keep it any cleaner as that would entail having someone in the kitchen washing dishes all day long.

You are correct in that Room 15 is only $10 NZD cheaper than our Deluxe Double rooms, but you get what you pay for. For those that want to spend the extra $10, and want a quieter time here, it is definitely recommended. Our Deluxe Double rooms share the facilities with only 4-6 other guests and therefore there is less noise, and as there are less guests, generally cleaner.

As to the politeness and courteousness of the other guests, I would say that I have enjoyed talking with all my Hippo Lodge guests and have found everyone to be polite and respectful.

If guests in the lounge are noisy, I find that if you personally tell them that you are trying to sleep, people generally quiet down. If you don't do anything, the other guests don't know they are disturbing you. We mention to all our guests that we have a Night Manager available (all night) if there are any issues. I hope that you had asked the Night Manager for support if you needed it.

On a side note, our Bottom House is sort of open plan with the kitchen and lounge in one open area. Our bathrooms are not adjacent to the kitchen, they are at the end of the hallway past the dorm rooms- about 20 feet away. One does not have to walk through the kitchen bumping past people cooking on the way to the bathrooms, but you do have to walk by past the kitchen area. Not sure why I am being pedantic, but it's just not true.

In summary, if you'd are a more mature couple and would like a quieter time here at Hippo Lodge, please spend the extra $10 and get a room in White House. If you are a younger couple, and don't mind the hustle and bustle of backpacker life, our Backpacker doubles will suit just fine.

Warm Regards,
Wuppertal, Germany
Reviewed February 24, 2014

We stayed in an 8-bed dorm. Not sure when the facilities were last maintained but I ended up buying flip-flops so I could shower. Kitchens, showers and toilets were in a really lousy state.
Yes, I'm aware that Queenstown is a very young place and a party hub, but that doesn't mean one has to give up cleaning altogether.
On a more positive note: the reception staff was really friendly and the views were nice.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed February 22, 2014

this hostel was a great surprise for us... the staff was helpful and very nice...they gave us tips on how to get a discount when you rent a car and things like that...they can also book tours for you which is quite handy...and also they can give you discount... much better than the prices found in the city area. I totally recommend this place

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Te Anau, Nya Zeeland
Reviewed February 14, 2014

I had a single room, the smallest ever and smelly! Dirty sheets with hair everywhere. It were noisy all night long! I would never go back there..even if I got paid!I would not recommend this hostel to anyone.

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Hanson_ah
makutamonster, Manager at Hippo Lodge Backpackers, responded to this review, February 17, 2014
Hi Hanson,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. Though not a positive one, as they say, there is always room for improvement. A comfortable and hopefully enjoyable time at Hippo Lodge is very important to us.

You mentioned that the bed sheets had hair on it.
I can only apologise and hopefully my explanation will soothe your upset. I can confirm that the bed had new linen as my duty manager and I check all rooms after they have been serviced to ensure they have been done to a high standard. The fault of a renegade hair lies in static electricity. We wash and dry all the linen ourselves and meticulously remove any hairs that may not have gotten sucked into the lint trap. We have a lot of guests and a lot of linen and sometimes the odd hair sneaks by.

You mentioned that there was a smell.
Really sorry, not sure what that could be. I've been just to check on our single room and it smelled fine. Though, my nose might not be as sensitive as other noses. I will check on the room again later today to see if I can pinpoint what might be making a smell and take action against it.

Hippo Lodge