“Great view and Ok stay”

Hippo Lodge Backpackers
Reviewed December 18, 2012

Hippo lodge has a great view over Queenstown but as other reviews have mentioned this means a bit of a steep climb up from the bottom and then a number of stairs to the dorms.
The hostel itself was okay nothing fantastic to rave about and it appears that there are quite a few long term residents in the hostel.

We stayed in the top section of the hostel but the dorm we had was at the bottom which meant it was rather noisy at night with people walking, talking and thumping on the floor which was our roof.

Guy at check in was friendly but he did seem to try and push selling of attractions through him to get free internet.

Showers and toilets were okay but there wasn't very many of them and for the amount of people I thought there would have been a few more.
The kitchen area was not that big and so at times it was rather busy with everyone preparing meals.

We picked the Hippo as it was one of the more reasonably priced and there was also parking availabe.
For what we paid it was ok but I would maybe check out some other places next time.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed December 2, 2012

The friendly staff gave me some great tips for places to eat and check out around town. The location was good (if you don't mind a bit of a steep walk) and the view was great. Decent price and the room was nice. So, despite the fire alarm going off a couple of times at inopportune times (read very early in the morning), I'd highly recommend it.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 9, 2012

I first stopped in looking for a hostel around town and came right back to this one. Stayed 2 nights in a dorm and we had the place almost to ourselves! Great views, very spacious dorm rooms, great kitchen/lounge area. Riley was really welcoming and helpful which made our stay that much better! Only downside is that it was always so cold in the lounge and kitchen area...

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Tracy C
Reviewed August 22, 2012

I loved this backpackers in Queenstown. The climb was worth every step for the absolutely fantastic views. On check in the guy on reception was really helpful and had a lots of ideas on stuff to do. Hippo offers you 50MB free WIFI with EVERY activity. I wasn't quite sure what a MB was but it works out at about half an hour standard web surfing. I had a room in the top house and could see the lake from my window. My bed was kind of built into the wall which I liked as it was like a private hide-away. The room was kept clean for my three days there (apart from the scruffy fella across from me spilling his bag over half the floor). Bathrooms were sparkling. Lounge had the most FANTASTIC view over the lake and the snow capped mountains from huge windows. I sat drinking tea and watching the gondola climbing and descending Bob's Peak from the sofa! There was a friendly cat who kept appearing and nuzzling me which was really nice as I love cats. On my last day the girl on reception was bubbly and helped me book my paraglide. She'd obviously done it before and alleviated my fears. All in all really nice and pleasant staff. Lovely rooms. AMAZING views!!! Thanks Hippo. See you next time....

Room Tip: Top House :)
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 23, 2012

Okay price and large private room but shower had long black hair all over it when we arrived. Really grossed us out. Complete kitchenette in our room saved us a ton of money on food.

But the guy at the reception was totally trying to sell us on stupid activities, promising us if we booked with them they could give us that 'cheap internet' ($2 for 20MG). If you do the math, it's exactly the price of the standard $5 for 50MG without booking anything. We're not that easily fooled guy. We asked what we could do around Queenstown that was free or cheap and he immediately suggested this expensive jet boat tour in winter, and really wouldn't stop talking about it. Sorry guy, $170 per person for a 15 minute jet boat ride in freezing weather isn't free or remotely interesting to us. Stop trying to pressure people so you can get a commission on our booking. This was just this one guy, the other people who worked there seemed cool.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Customer931
makutamonster, Manager at Hippo Lodge Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2013

Hi There,

Thank you for leaving a review about us. There is always room for improvement and we take your opinions and experiences seriously.

First off, I am really sorry about the black hair in the shower. We pride ourselves at Hippo Lodge at being a clean hostel. We like to take on Cleaners who have pride in their work and pay attention to detail. We've been really lucky as we have some really great staff here, but sometimes we all make mistakes. I have spoken with the staff in the hopes that this doesn't happen again.

In regards to booking activities and "cheap internet", I think there might be a small misunderstanding. Our wireless internet is a standard rate of 10c per megabyte ex: 20 mb = $2 and 50 mb = $5, etc. However, if you book an activity with us, we offer guests either $2 off per activity booking or $2 (20 mb) of FREE wifi per booking. I have spoken with my Duty Manager to be more clear when explaining this to guests. I don't want guests to think we are trying to fool anyone.

Lastly, just a small thing, unfortunately Queenstown is quite an expensive place and the 15 minute Shotover Jet boat ride at $129 is one of the cheaper activities to do here. True, it is not "cheap", but compared to a $299 jet boat ride or a $260 Bungy Jump, it is.

Thank you again for your honesty. We want our guests to be happy and are hoping that your recommendations will improve the next guests' experiences.

Warmest Regards,
Shana M
Hippo Lodge
Manager

Reviewed July 9, 2012

It was a bit of a hill to climb to Hippo, but worth every step. Very cozy little backpacker place with friendly staff, good lounge, clean kitchen and nice balcony for a dinner or have a drink. And nice hostel dog hanging around too! Unbeatable view over the but only few minutes walk to centre. Hippo was all good.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 29, 2012

I stayed at the Hippo Lodge for 2 weeks. For me it was the ideal place...very affordable with an excellent location, clean, great view, comfortable, and really friendly helpful staff. Thanks for a great stay!
-Dan V. USA