“Over-priced”

Trails of Middle-Earth Tour
Ranked #84 of 159 Tours in Queenstown
More attraction details
Owner description: We are Lord of the Rings specialists offering a comprehensive and interactive tour in the heart of Middle-earth. Our friendly, knowledgeable guides take you on the ultimate LOTR experience. You can dress up in costume, handle an extensive selection of weapons and even view items from productions. With half, heli, and full day tours available, we have something to suit everyone. This tour is the tour for the LOTR fan and their partner, who will be looked after as well.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Illinois
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“Over-priced”
Reviewed December 14, 2012

I was really excited about this tour. I love Tolkien's books as well as the movies. I had wanted to do a LOTR tour back in 2005 when visiting New Zealand the first time but didn't have a free day. When returning with a friend this year I made sure I had at least one free day in Queenstown to do this tour.

I enjoyed the day and the guide, Kathleen, but... I felt disappointed at the end of the day. I don't think we saw as much as we could or should have, considering all the sites that are in the area (see Ian Brodie's LOTR Location Guidebook) we didn't go to that many. We had some good information on the filming and actors, saw some of the call sheets, screenplays, and , I agree with another reviewer, spent way too much time with the swords and props.

Truthfully, it was an "okay" day, just not up to my expectations. I'd probably rate it higher, good, not excellent though, if was priced about half the cost.

Basically, just not worth it. Pick up the guidebook and rent a care for the day and skip the props.

Visited December 2012
4 Thank Lisa L

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The best day of my life!”
Reviewed December 13, 2012

If you are a lord of the rings fan this is definately the tour to choose not only because of the breath takingly beautiful sites you ll get to see but there is no one that knows more about the books/movies/locations then BOB! An amazing day worth every dime.

1 Thank Carmendepp
Newcastle, England, United Kingdom
“Awesome Tour”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We booked this tour as a treat around the Queenstown area. We are both big fans of the films and so wanted to see some more of the locations.

The tour was great from start to finish. Bob has an incredible amount of knowledge about LOTR, how the films were made, the area itself and the other works of Tolkien. He tailored the tour to each of us and it was just a great day out.

Definitely reccommended!

Visited October 2012
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“The Best Lord of the Rings tour in Queenstown!”
Reviewed October 10, 2012

Thanks to Bob, our very knowledgeable and not to mention, humorous tour guide and his "apprentice", Kathleen. They proved that the sites they brought us to were actually in the movies. And we learned a lot about the behind the scenes goings on that took place during the filming. I think this is better than the Nomad Safaris offering.

Visited October 2012
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Embrace your inner nerd!”
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Our guide, Bob, was a wealth of information and trivia for all things Middle Earth. He was interesting and funny and a born storyteller. Whilst you could easily find the locations alone, without a knowledgable guide you will be standing looking at mountains, rivers and fields with no clue as to what you're looking for. The trip was a little expensive at $299NZ for the all day tour, however we wouldn't hesitate to recommend it if you are a LOTR fan. Discussing obscure details and a vivid backstory over lunch was a particular highlight.

Visited September 2012