“The best day of my life!”

Trails of Middle-Earth Tour
Ranked #87 of 162 Tours in Queenstown
More attraction details
Owner description: We are Lord of the Rings specialists offering a comprehensive and interactive tour in the heart of Middle-earth. Our friendly, knowledgeable guides take you on the ultimate LOTR experience. You can dress up in costume, handle an extensive selection of weapons and even view items from productions. With half, heli, and full day tours available, we have something to suit everyone. This tour is the tour for the LOTR fan and their partner, who will be looked after as well.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Reviewed December 13, 2012

If you are a lord of the rings fan this is definately the tour to choose not only because of the breath takingly beautiful sites you ll get to see but there is no one that knows more about the books/movies/locations then BOB! An amazing day worth every dime.

1  Thank Carmendepp
in 7 reviews
"sword"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed October 10, 2012

Thanks to Bob, our very knowledgeable and not to mention, humorous tour guide and his "apprentice", Kathleen. They proved that the sites they brought us to were actually in the movies. And we learned a lot about the behind the scenes goings on that took place during the filming. I think this is better than the Nomad Safaris offering.

Reviewed October 4, 2012

Our guide, Bob, was a wealth of information and trivia for all things Middle Earth. He was interesting and funny and a born storyteller. Whilst you could easily find the locations alone, without a knowledgable guide you will be standing looking at mountains, rivers and fields with no clue as to what you're looking for. The trip was a little expensive at $299NZ for the all day tour, however we wouldn't hesitate to recommend it if you are a LOTR fan. Discussing obscure details and a vivid backstory over lunch was a particular highlight.

Reviewed August 25, 2012

The guide was such a wealth of knowledge and we really loved travelling around and hearing so much fun facts and stories about the movies! The scenery is gorgeous and while there are only a few stops (all beautiful) the guide helps to explain what was filmed where and how and answers all of our nerdy questions with ease.
If you really love the movies the day is simply a fun and lovely novelty day. For us it was definitely worth it and we would do it again in a heart beat!

See more reviews
Reviewed June 20, 2012

There seem to be a lot of "trails of middle earth" tours, and only two of them seem to be the same one we went on. We went through southern lakes sightseeing.

Overall, I thought it was good. Our guide was really sweet and fantastic with lots of insider information (she was an extra). I was really disappointed that deeppark heights was closed, though that not the fault of the tour.
We saw Ithilien (12 mile delta) and arrowtown as well as the pillars of the kinds. I suppose I was expecting a bit more, but I shouldn't have. the tour advertises going to the ford of bruinen, but it does not go to the more well known location (I thought it was a bit deceiving). Also when I asked about locations they gave me a list but I didn't realize that most of them were in the same location.
I would recommend this tour to anyone who is looking for a lot of insider knowledge (my husband loved this), but if you want more sights (and have more time) I would pick up a copy of the LotR filming locations book and go yourself if you're able. You'll save a lot of money!

1  Thank SarahLiz02