“LOTR tour”

Trails of Middle-Earth Tour
Ranked #84 of 162 Tours in Queenstown
More attraction details
Owner description: We are Lord of the Rings specialists offering a comprehensive and interactive tour in the heart of Middle-earth. Our friendly, knowledgeable guides take you on the ultimate LOTR experience. You can dress up in costume, handle an extensive selection of weapons and even view items from productions. With half, heli, and full day tours available, we have something to suit everyone. This tour is the tour for the LOTR fan and their partner, who will be looked after as well.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Loveland, Colorado
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“LOTR tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2012

good guide, relaxing tour, really in the back country.

Visited February 2012
1 Thank Evan W

Bracebridge, Canada
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Lord or the Rings tour”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2011

I went on a Lord of the Rings tour with the company "Trails of Middle Earth" I was a little dissapointed because the tour was nearly 45 mins shorter than I expected and I only went to 2 film locations but the guide kept saying things like "over that hill this was filmed, but you can't get to it without 4WD" The guide was incredibly nice and very informative and willing to answer any question and knew all the answers, but I just feel for $170, there should have been more. I do recommend this tour for film buffs because the guides know everything.
We did get to play with weapons which was fun. But only the afternoon half day and the full day tours get to do that, so keep that in mind.

Visited December 2011
3 Thank RachaelM1
vermont
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Great cheap tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2008

This tour was great! My friend and i went to the Queenstown information center (extremely helpful) and they recommended this tour. Our guide made the tour worth it. You pretty much pay for the knowledge your tour guide holds, so i can see why if you get a bad tour guide it might not be worth it. I cant remember our guys name now, but he had personal experiences with the actors, and so many side stories about them. He was GREAT. We learned so much about the filming it made us appreciate the movies that much more. We went in the winter, all of the scenes were BEAUTIFUL. The places they took us looked exactly like they do in the movie. It feels like the actors are just going to walk around the corner at any time. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a casual tour experience.

4 Thank smf58
Concord, New Hampshire
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 50 helpful votes
“Lord of the Rings Tour-Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2007

We found this tour mis-leading and disappointing-although felt badly for feeling that way. The tour guide was really nice and very enthusiastic. We choose this tour because it was all day and we wanted to see as much as we possibly could. At a pricey $299/NZ/person it was a real splurge for us-but we thought we were in for an over the top amazing day and that it would be worth that much money. They had told us 'more than 30 locations'-but we only went to 3 sites! We found that extremely misleading. They considered 'locations' to be anywhere they could show a scene. We thought we'd be driving all over the place-but nope. The tour went to Arrowtown, the Kawarau gorge, and Deer Farm Park-that was it!!! What there was, was good, and again the enthusiastic guide was good-but after about 30 minutes at Deer Farm we'd had enough and we spent 2 hours there looking at a million little hills being told that this and that had been shot there. But honestly after a bit all the rocks/hills looked alike. The thing that really got us was we went to a winery in the morning - I was the only one in the group that drinks any wine so I kept saying 'lets not waste the time, lets not waste the time'-but we went anyway. I mean-why on earth were we going to a winery on an expensive LOTR tour??? I think there must be an arrangement with the winery because after I quickly sipped and left, we used their parking lot to be shown replica swords and Gimli's helmet. These were neat but I really just wanted to go see more sites. I don't really understand why we wasted a bunch of time taking photos with us holding these replicas. We did a similar photo thing at Deer Farm with replicas of knives and a hobbit cape. There were SO many other things we could have been seeing in the area. When we asked about that we were told that it they were too far to go to. So the next day we headed out on our own and were shocked to find that 12 Mile Delta was maybe a 15 minute drive out of Queenstown-where part of Ithilien was filmed, Sam saw the Olipants, and Smeagol caught the coneys. We then drove on to Glenorchy where a ton more stuff was done. We were out and back in just a couple of hours-so an all day tour could easily have included those areas. This tour could EASILY have been done in a half day for half the price given what was included. If you are interested in having a bunch of photos of yourself taken with replicas from the movie this is for you. We wished we'd done one of the other tours.

28 Thank RedmooseNH
Hobbitguide, Guide on the tour at Trails of Middle-Earth Tour, responded to this review, October 8, 2007
As the guide on this tour I wish to make clear that there is absolutely no arrangement with the vineyard mentioned.
I also guide a wine tasting tour and this is my personal favourite. It is very close to a LOTR location. If the tour group size is small I sometimes include a 15 min visit to this vineyard as I am proud of our local wine.
The weapons viewed at the vineyard are carried in the tour van and would have been viewed elsewhere if we had not visited the vineyard.
I am sorry the reviewers were disappointed with the tour, which is a specialised LOTR tour including lots of background information on the filming process and insider stories. I believe that they would have enjoyed a more general sightseeing tour.