“Great concept, great food”
Review of Blackballs - CLOSED

Blackballs
Cuisines: Fast Food
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Description: Twelve inches of classic sausage, made by award-wining butchers from the Blackball Salami Company and served in a fresh bun with some truly unique sauces and flavor combinations.
Reviewed October 24, 2013

I wish we had one of these stores back home. It's hard to find a good gourmet hot dog anywhere, but these guys definitely fill the gap! Even just the basic hot dog is great - really good flavour and the sausage isn't fatty at all. I wasn't adventurous enough to try some of the crazier combinations on the menu, but my husband loved the 12" chorizo, chilli and fire dragon sauce one!

Reviewed October 23, 2013

Hmmmm, it tasted nice, but im not sure, there is so much competition in Queenstown that I don't know if I would pay $12 for another sausage.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

I picked up some vouchers from the hostel and being on a backpacker budget I had to try it out!!!

We went for the Chilli Dog as advertised but I cannot handle too hot so the girl serving made a few recommendations and it was great. The girl in question was on a WHV called Megan and is an asset to the service.

We had another night in QT and we bought a friend back and had yet another Chilli Dog, another had butter chicken and one a lamb one. All very yummy and so are the sauces. Megan had remembered our names and gave us top quality service.

A month later I came back to QT and just had to try another hot dog. Unfortunately the bread was a little bit tougher and unfortunately our service from before was not as friendly as it was less busy. Bring back the team from middle August as in a space of a month it went down a bit!!!

Reviewed September 8, 2013

When I heard about this new place in town I was really excited to try these hotdogs... but I have to say that I was a bit disappointed.

The sausage is quite good but the bread a bit disappointed, looks like the cheap one you can buy at the supermarket. Moreover, the prices are a bit too high for the quality of the food but I admit that one hotdog is quite filling.

Plus, staff is very friendly even late in the night :)

1  Thank Natty974
Reviewed September 7, 2013

Was excited when I saw that a new food shop was opening and sausages sounded great. We ordered the venison with the gourmet toppings . But the flavour was not the greatest and the BUN was pitiful. It looked and tasted just like those awful cheap buns you can buy from the supermarket. I would have thought that at the high price you are paying for a 12" snag they could have at least given you a BUN that did fall apart & melted before you got to finish your snag. In Europe they have wuerst bars and the rolls are tasty & great and hold together, even the hot dog vendors in the states have a better bun. Just my opinion. Maybe I will try another snag without the BUN.

Tracy P, Manager at Blackballs, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

Really sorry to here of yoru disappointment, we are currently in a slight change over period in both management and product, we have listened to our customers and are changing the bun and some of the flavour combinations, as well as price options. Please hold tight for a couple of weeks and then we would love for you to come back and sample the new and improved Blackballs free of charge, just email me tracy@winnies.co.nz and I will arrange for some vouchers for you, its really important to us that we get things right and appreciate the time people take to write the reviews.

thanks