“A days guided firshing”
Review of Stu's Fly Shop

Stu's Fly Shop
More attraction details
Owner description: Stu's World Famous Fishing Shop is the only physical fly shop in New Zealand. Do you want to go fishing with Stu? He is Australasia's first Certified FFF Master Fly Casting Instructor and owner of the NZ Fly Fishing School. Visit one of 30 lakes and rivers, all within an hour's drive of the shop. We can arrange: Backcountry Fly Fishing Road Trips, where you stay in an historic cottage or camp out. Helicopter Guiding and water taxis for an unforgettable experience One or multiple-day NZ Fly Fishing Schools: learn the basics about equipment, trout and their feeding habits, trout entomology (food), trout flies, tackle, equipment, leaders and their construction, basic knots and casting. Been fly-fishing for years, but getting too many tangles? Or just want to get better? Learn how to double haul for distance, reach cast and wiggle cast. Get ahead of the game with some professional advice from Stu! We have a range of multi-day guiding packages, road trips and camping out options, which can depart from Queenstown.
Sydney
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A days guided firshing”
Reviewed March 21, 2014

Had half a day fly casting instruction and error/ bad habits correction with Stu which ended tweaking my rod and line to get the best performance. Stu is clearly a master and has the fly shop resources to correct any gear issues. This is a good way to approach the guided day as accurate casts are often required and the fish are mostly sighted before casting so there is extra pressure to get it right. The next day we had on the river and I for one would not have seen the fish or had the flies to put to them. I would recommend Stu shop and guiding services. I had an excellent day and learned heaps.

Visited March 2014
Stu's F, Owner at Stu's Fly Shop, responded to this review, March 22, 2014
Hi Hynek,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review and thanks heaps for your feedback.
It was awesome seeing you improving your casting skills and effectuating it quickly the next day on the river.
Kind regards,

Armidale, Australia
“Stu's Fly Shop/Guiding”
Reviewed March 18, 2014

Just had a half day fly casting session followed by a day on the river with Stu guiding. Both were excellent. Stu is one of the hardest working guides I have experienced. Nothing was too much trouble and he put me onto some great fish. He even took my inexpert fly casting into account when choosing rivers to fish. Also, Ela in the shop is great, very friendly and knowledgeable...a visit to Stu's shop is well worth while.

Visited March 2014
Stu's F, Owner at Stu's Fly Shop, responded to this review, March 20, 2014
Hi Phil,
Great to hear you enjoyed your casting tuition and time on the river. It was awesome to see your casting improving a lot in a short time. I hope you enjoy your pictures and I'm looking forward to see you again next summer.
Kind regards,
Honolulu, Hawaii
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great selection, but......”
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Stu has one of the best selection of flys, but they are "too pricey." If you are planning on going fly fishing in this region, plan on bringing your own supply..

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Cheryl V
Stu's F, Owner at Stu's Fly Shop, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Hi Cheryl V,
Thank you for taking the time to post a review.
Great to hear you like my Superior Flies range. My flies are all tied on the highest quality Japanese Tiemco hooks as I want you to catch fish on a fly you can trust.
I hope to see you back one day.
Thanks again and tight lines, Stu
Birmingham, Alabama
“The highlight of our visit to New Zealand”
Reviewed March 2, 2014

My husband and I had a such an incredible time Fly Fishing with Stu!! We were in New Zealand for a quick visit, just 10 days, and one thing we had to do was go Fly Fishing together. We went with Stu on a guided trip to the Mataura River and it was just stunning! We caught a Brown Trout and had a lovely time. I HIGHLY recommend this trip A+++, it was a major highlight of our vacation to New Zealand!! Even though we were staying in Queenstown, it was VERY worth the 45 minute beautiful drive in the early morning to Athol.

Visited February 2014
Stu's F, Owner at Stu's Fly Shop, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Hi Hannah,
It was a pleasure to guide you and your husband and great to see you two had a fun and successful day on the river. I hope you enjoy your pictures and I hope to see you back here some day to show you another day's fishing you won't forget.
Kind regards, Stu
Alexandra, New Zealand
“Best little fly shop on the Mainland!!”
Reviewed March 2, 2014

I have both visited and bought, and ordered on online, merchandise from Stu's Fly shop and have got high quality service and expertise and products without hassle.
I do a lot of fly fishing in the South Island of New Zealand and use all the gear I have bought from Stu's fly shop and swear by it. Stu is alway happy to offer advise and recommend products both personally and online.
I look forward to calling into his shop each time I pass through Athol.
I have recently purchased a guided days fishing with Stu and am really really looking forward to a day on the river with him. Massive thumbs up for this shop from me!!!

Visited November 2013
Stu's F, Owner at Stu's Fly Shop, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Hi Michael,
Thank you for taking the time to post your review and thanks heaps for your support over all the years. I really appreciate your feedback as it's words like yours which keep me going.
I'm looking forward to our day on the river, let's go and catch fish!
Thanks again and see you soon,