“45 minute wait for bruschetta”

Old Man Rock Cafe Bar - The Mall Queenstown
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I have worked in the food and beverage industry for 10 years so I understand the ins and outs of how things can go wrong. I appreciate when customers are understanding and try to do the same if anything happens when I dine out. That being said there were a few things that I could not understand when my friends and I stopped by for a quick snack before work. I ordered the bruschetta thinking it would be quick as I had an hour until I had to be at work. About 35 minutes after we ordered the waitress said "sorry about the bruschetta it will be out in 2 minutes, do you want to order anything else?" I wanted to cancel the order but since it would be 2 minutes we decided to wait. 10 minutes later the bruschetta finally arrived and was placed in front of me by another waitress who then disappeared. I wasn't given any cutlery to eat with so then had to go ask for some. At this point I had enough time to eat 1/2 of the tasteless bruschetta. The menu says the bruschetta is topped with marinated tomatoes and olives when in reality the olives are dried and baked into the bread underneath. When we went into pay I was waiting for either another apology, an inquiry as to how everything was, a refund, anything. Didn't get anything but the total including the full price for the bruschetta I waited 45 minutes for with one other table inside the restaurant and two outside. I have never complained about an experience before but I feel that they should rethink their policy on how to rectify a situation that is not the customers fault so they don't leave feeling frustrated and unsatisfied at the overall experience. If it's been long enough of a wait that the waitress has to approach the table to apologize without prompting from the customer that is usually a good indication that a mistake has been made by the establishment and some sort of action should be taken.

Reviewed September 26, 2013

Had heaps of morning and arvo teas here, they make some oft he best toasters in queenstown, friendly staff, cosy charming atmosphere with outdoor dining. only a small venue but well worth a visit.

murli128, Manager at Old Man Rock Cafe Bar - The Mall Queenstown, responded to this reviewResponded October 13, 2013

Thank you for your feedback. Always great to hear how well our staff are doing and happy customers loving our cosy little cafe.

Reviewed September 20, 2013

We go to Old Man Rock for their Hot Chocolates and breakfast whenever we're in Queenstown. Great meals, service is friendly and the ambience is perfect, especially in front of the open fire. Best Hot Chocolates in Queenstown by far.

We believe they are the best hot chocolates in town too! Thank you for your review and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

The first thing only had me mildly annoyed. I ordered a chocolate milkshake, and was brought an iced chocolate. Later when I checked the menu (which I didn't have at time of ordering) I discovered that they don't make milkshakes, something the waitress could have easily explained to me, but didn't bother mentioning - lucky my son isn't picky. I order the "hearty stack of pancakes" and received, and received three small, flat, tasteless pancakes with cold bacon, and a side of cold mushrooms. My husband said his scrambled eggs were terrible, and my son wouldn't even eat the bacon from his plate (and he LOVES bacon). Of course, it was overpriced (but you'd be hard pressed to find anything in Queenstown that isn't), and no one bothered to ask how the meals were - probably because they know how bad they are. Do NOT go here!

Thank you for your feedback. We do offer milkshakes, caramel, strawberry, vanilla and chocolate. We also offer iced chocolates, iced mocha and iced coffees. The iced chocolate and chocolate milkshakes are different so I do apologise that you did not get what you ordered.
I will be passing your comments onto the kitchen regarding your meals. Thank you

Reviewed August 14, 2013

It started when I got shown not to a table, but to a windowsill - literally. I commented that it was not wide enough for a plate - got ignored. To be close to my food, my knees were banging into a stone wall. There were several free tables
Ordered a long black and a big breakfast
Long black was more Americano - i.e. way too big
Food arrived on a plate 25% bigger than my windowsill - I stated that I didn't think it would work as the plate was too big - got ignored
Big breakfast was barely adequate
- sausage was almost warm
- supermarket hash brown was soggy (it's not that hard to make your own hash browns)
Got asked how it was, I answered "so-so" with the accompanying wave of my hand to indicate I was not happy .... response was laughter
So was 4/10 for the food, but the insincere service dropped it to a 2
This is Queenstown - in the centre of town - it should be a treat!